ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Form 16 enough?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Indus
Newly Registered

Is Form 16 enough?

Post by Indus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm

i will be submitting my application next week.
for earnings part, i have a query.

Is it ok to submit just the Form 16(photo copy) and not 2D form?

i will be submitting 12months payslips,bank statements and letter from employer with it.

kindly help guys.

simar

Post by simar » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:34 pm

12 months pay slips for the period covered in form16 + extra pay slips for the recent past may also not do any harm. Saral not needed.

BUT MAKE sure to submit every thing is original( including form16).

You have many months to fill tax retiurns( sept). So why not send original form16. Photocopy is good for nothing

Indus
Newly Registered

Post by Indus » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi Samar
thanks for the reply.
i would go with the original form 16 covering the current financial year.
12 months pay slips and bank statements for the period claimed.

can you tell,if i should mention anything in the covering leter why i have not submitted Saral or is it not necesarry?

Achtung

Post by Achtung » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:43 pm

This is my opinion not necessarily correct...

Now we dont have SARAL we have an Acknowledgment form from It Dept...
I think this ACK form is regarded as the ORIGINAL ITR...So my advice would be to send your Form 16 and your ITR as well...

Hear from others

Achtung

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi,

I think Form 16 is not acceptable. Please see case worker guidance at following link.

HSMP - http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... kguidance/

Also, you can avail option of exceptional consideration without tax evidence.

Thanks,
JD

boyzzeal

Post by boyzzeal » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:33 am

Dear Indus,

I would have sent the SARAL along with copy of Form16. They explicitly ask for ITR and so Form16 is not the ITR, it is SARAL. So better to send SARAL along with Form16 copy.

Regards,
deeps

MyHSMPApplication

Post by MyHSMPApplication » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:13 am

Form 16 Is not acceptable as evidence of tax return. Do verify the latest case worker's guidelines. They are very very explicit as to what is required.
Form 16 isn't acceptable as they are completed by individuals.

So don't send form 16 as evidence.
Cheers
PG

simar

Post by simar » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:49 am

I am bit confused with people's reply.
I myself have shown FORM16 as one of salary evidence ( 2 years back.) Along with bank statements & salary slips. May be guidelines are changed .

MyHSMPApplication,

You wrote "Form16" is completed by individuals. I guess it is SARAL that is completed by individuals. Form16 is issued by accounts dept of company. It is very important document. If lost, one need to have FIR to get duplicate copy.

MyHSMPApplication

Post by MyHSMPApplication » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:37 am

Self-certified tax documents, which are completed by the individual (eg Form 16 in India or the SA100 form in the UK) are not acceptable.
Hi Simar,
This is a quote from the new case worker's guidelines. I guess this makes it clear that Form 16 isn't acceptable anymore.

On the same topic, SARAL is a perfectly valid document.
a document generated by an individual/business/company for the purposes of an official return to a tax authority, showing details of earnings on which tax has been paid/to be paid in a tax year that has been 'approved/registered/stamped' by the tax authority (this is particularly relevant to some overseas tax systems eg SARAL in India).

Cheers
PG

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:07 am

Hey, why you guys are wrangling. I think better to go to caseworker's guidance and read through earning section. It is clearly mentioned there.

We can discuss this after everyone read the guidance.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... kguidance/

Thanks,
JD

sudipbagchi
Newly Registered

Post by sudipbagchi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:13 pm

The above case workers document says that stamped Saral is acceptable & Form 16 is NOT.
Though Form16 Xerox should be sent alongwith as a proof.

malar1973
Newly Registered

Post by malar1973 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Has anyone managed to get the duplicate of ITR-x (no more SARAL business by IT dept's site) on filing the income returns? The Acknowledgement form does not even specify the period for which the returns is filed. Though it says "assessment year 2007-08", not sure if the caseworkers would understand this term!

Thanks!

Indus
Newly Registered

Post by Indus » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:43 pm

That was bit confusing for me.
in the previous earning category:
for salaried employent it says considering IT returns and doest specify if it is Saral or From -16.

please clarify guys.
Thanks.

dhanubs

Post by dhanubs » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:04 pm

Hi guys,

There seems to be lot of confusion regarding this. Well, this is my opinion.

As for evidences for the "Previous earnings" category, it is actually sufficient if you can furnish only the original Form 16 as this has more information than your SARAL itself like gross salary, the allowances, the net taxable salary, the financial year and finally the tax that was deduced at source.

Also, as it is rightly specified in the HSMP Applicant guidance that, the document prepared by the employer for the purpose of return to a tax authority is also a "Tax Return" which translates to Form 16 in India. Going by this, I think Form 16 in India is equivalent to P60 in the UK and this is enough to classify as a "Tax return".

Also SARAL is no longer valid. It has been replaced with the IT acknowledgment return and as some one rightly mentioned it does not even correctly specify the period of IT return (1st April 2006 to 31st March 2007). I am not sure, if the HOME office people are aware of this new development.

Also, HSMP case worker manual and HSMP Applicant
s guidance are contradictory. Case worker manual wrongly mentions that Form 16 is a self-certified document created by the individual which is completely wrong and misplaced. Form 16, actually is a document which is generated by the employer for the purpose of filing return to a Tax authority.

My suggestion will be to send the following documents

option 1 : 12 month wage slips and original IT Acknowledgment form. (you can send the copy of Form 16 but is of no use as they don't even look at documents which are not original)

option 2: 12 month wage slips, Original Form 16 and 12-month Bank statements.

The best option is to file the income tax using a photocopy of Form 16 (mind you that filing of ITR has been made annexure-less from this year) , in which case you will be able to send the original Form 16 along with the IT acknowledgment return and wage slips.

Others please post your opinions.

malar1973
Newly Registered

Post by malar1973 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:40 pm

To add to dhanubs: it would be better if we can point to some clear explanation about IT procedures in India. The official site, "http://incometaxindia.gov.in/", seems to have been created mainly to confuse the ppl as much as possible and it only benefits the tax-consultants. Anyone knows a better site to point to HSMP CWs? We have to clearly prove them that in India IT returns can be filed only for a set period, i.e., 01-Apr to 31-Mar and the assessment year means that the IT returns are filed for the previous Financial yr.

Thanks!

simar

Post by simar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:20 am

Does anyone this forum knows a person who( working in MNC)
sends original Form16( issued by account dept of company) +
salary slips &
bank statements

in support of his/her hsmp application. AND get REFUSAL on salary points?

I can confirm on my case, I send the above documents & got points on salary section.
It may happen many individual working/owning a small time business organisation try to manipulate the rules by sending crap documents.
People working in reputed MNCs need not get bother too much about Form16 acceptance. It is valid legal document

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:01 am

Dear Simar,

Its not about working with an MNC or a small time company. There are genuine people with genuine problems at the so called small time companies & there are people in MNCs submitting fraudulent papers.
I worked for a small time company & got my HSMP by submitting genuine papers.

The question here is:
How do we make the HO & the CWs aware of the IT system in India. The Form 16 there is equivalent to P-60 of UK & is supplied by the employer & is not a self declaration as claimed in the CW manual.

Regarding the FY year being April to March, the CWs are aware about it. I simply provided a printout of & the link to the IT deptt (Delhi office) website faqs section - it clearly defines what a assessment year is; what the financial year means.

regards,

push_HSMP

Indus
Newly Registered

Post by Indus » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:57 am

Thank you everyone for thier feedback.

I agree,Form 16, actually is a document which is generated by the employer for the purpose of filing return to a Tax authority and not a form generated by an individual.
so im going with following documents:

12 month wage slips,original IT Acknowledgment form,Bank statements and letter from employer.

can someone please tell me the procedure on how to prepare the attested document citing the reason for the Saral from the incometax website?

dhanubs

Post by dhanubs » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:59 pm

As I have always maintained Original Form 16 and 12 month pay slips is enough to get an approval. I submitted only original form 16 (not the IT acknowledgement form), 12 month pay slips and additionally 12 month bank statements for previous earning section and my HSMP application is approved.

Raiees

Post by Raiees » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi Indus,
Evenb I submitted form 16 along with 12 months salary slips and my HSMP was approved.