ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

South African related issue

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tekaweni

South African related issue

Post by tekaweni » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi all,

My son recently naturalised here, and of course he forgot to fill in the Section 6 application to allow him to retain his SA citizenship.

This isnt a major worry (a SA passport isnt desperately useful anyway) but should he ever want to travel to SA in the future I'm wondering how he would do it. SA rules state that dual-citizens need to enter on their SA passport and although he's no longer a citizen he doesnt have any proof of this. Does anyone know if he would even need such proof, and if so, what kind of proof?

Thanks
Kim
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

JAJ
Australia

Re: South African related issue

Post by JAJ » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:57 am

tekaweni wrote:Hi all,

My son recently naturalised here, and of course he forgot to fill in the Section 6 application to allow him to retain his SA citizenship.

This isnt a major worry (a SA passport isnt desperately useful anyway) but should he ever want to travel to SA in the future I'm wondering how he would do it. SA rules state that dual-citizens need to enter on their SA passport and although he's no longer a citizen he doesnt have any proof of this. Does anyone know if he would even need such proof, and if so, what kind of proof?
If challenged by a South African immigration officer, he could simply make it clear that he has lost South African citizenship.

To reduce any risks, it may be possible to obtain a letter of confirmation that he is no longer a South African citizen from South Africa House in London.

- One copy of the letter can be kept while travelling to South Africa (with original in a safe place);
- Another copy of the letter can be sent to the Foreign Office Nationality & Passport Section, as evidence of his right to British consular protection in South Africa.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:26 am

Thanks JAJ, I'll get in touch with South Africa House and try for the letter.

It may well be unnecessary but a picky immigration official seeing Durban as place of birth on his British passport could theoretically demand proof he isnt a citizen before allowing entry.

Cheers
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten