ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry into the UK on a Work Permit - Query on Dates

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kunal
Newly Registered

Entry into the UK on a Work Permit - Query on Dates

Post by kunal » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:00 am

Hi,
If I am travelling to the UK on a work permit issued on February 28th, I have until August 28th to enter the country, right? Entering on August 26th shouldn't be a problem, I hope.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Kunal

Markie

Post by Markie » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:57 am

May I ask why so late in coming into the UK?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:12 pm

For how long is your WP valid?

kunal
Newly Registered

Post by kunal » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:24 am

Well, my employment actually starts on August 27th. My employer applied for the permit as early as February. The permit is valid for 5 years.

Thanks.

Kunal

kunal
Newly Registered

Post by kunal » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:29 am

Markie, Sakura? Your advice please!

Thanks.

--
Kunal

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:26 pm

I personally dont see any problem with that however, your ILR clock will only start once you entered UK. Which means by the time your 5-yr work permit expires, you need to have it extended and also your leave to remain. That will mean extra costs..and also 5 yrs from now, immigration laws might have been changed that will affect you.

That's my opinion...senior members might have a more professional advise.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:24 pm

jbinuk,

That's what I was thinking.

Why did you apply so early for the WP? I don't know about whether or not WPs have entry dates, but for ILR (yes, waaay down the line!) you will have to extend your WP (or whatever other visa you are on subsequently) should you wish to meet the 5 year requirement.

Unless you nab a British rose!! :lol:

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:11 pm

If you planning to stay and live here permanently, I believe you have just compromised your 5-year work permit. As I have said after when that 5-year WP expires you need to renew and re-apply for FLR in order to complete 5 years..but with the way BAO/HO are implementing retrospective changes, you might get into problems and that will mean 4+ years you've completed will mean nothing. You also need to think about the scenario that if you wont be lucky to get an extension of work permit.

I hope you get my point.