ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CAN RETAINED RIGHT RESIDENCE HOLDER SPONSOR FAMILY PERMIT ?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tascopic
Newly Registered

CAN RETAINED RIGHT RESIDENCE HOLDER SPONSOR FAMILY PERMIT ?

Post by tascopic » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:55 pm

the new revised family permit under eea regulation allows people with derivative residence card to sponsor their family permit to apply for EEA family permit from outside the UK.

but i want to ask if an holder of residence card under the retained right of residence can sponsor family members for eea family permit application as well?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Probably no.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Ricardo

Post by Ricardo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Sadly you can't sponsor anyone. Even while you were married, you will still have to rely on your EEA national to sponsor your family members.

Artur1
Newly Registered

Post by Artur1 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:15 pm

but if you wait for your PR then you can sponsor your family members

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Artur1 wrote:but if you wait for your PR then you can sponsor your family members
I think Jambo or Directive (or was it you, Vinny?) explained somewhere that only primary beneficiaries of EU laws, i.e. EU citizens, can pass their rights to family upon members. Secondary beneficiaries, i.e. EU family members can enjoy the right to reside and work in EU countries (if satisfy certain requirements), but what secondary beneficiaries cannot do is to pass those rights to anyone else.

Since receiving PR won't turn a secondary beneficiary into primary beneficiary, the OP's family members won't be able to apply for FP afer he receives PR. (remember that the OP was asking specifically about EEA FP). The only way he can do that is to become a citizen of the UK, go to EU country with the family member in question and reenter under Surender Singh together.
Mean what you say, say what you mean

Ricardo

Post by Ricardo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:51 pm

when he acquires PR, he can sponsor relevant family members to the UK. However, he cant use EEA route.

Artur1
Newly Registered

Post by Artur1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 am

I'm a bit confused now... Let's say I receive PR in 2015 (assuming I retained my rights after the divorce), and I meet someone in the UK who is not EEA/British national as an example.
Does it mean that having PR I will not be able to sponsor that person?

It creates really a bit of weird situation here. As if I can not sponsor non-EEA national and marry him having PR, then every time when I meet someone I need to ask what passport that person holds?

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:51 am

Artur1 wrote:I'm a bit confused now... Let's say I receive PR in 2015 (assuming I retained my rights after the divorce), and I meet someone in the UK who is not EEA/British national as an example.
Does it mean that having PR I will not be able to sponsor that person?

It creates really a bit of weird situation here. As if I can not sponsor non-EEA national and marry him having PR, then every time when I meet someone I need to ask what passport that person holds?

Yes when you start dating ask him/her status in this country.

after PR you can sponsor him/her but not in EEA route.

i don't think this rule will ever change
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Artur1
Newly Registered

Post by Artur1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:59 am

then if you could kindly explain, how non-EEA national with PR can sponsor another non-EEA if not through EEA route?

I'm not in this situation, but it really confuses me...

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:18 am

Artur1 wrote:then if you could kindly explain, how non-EEA national with PR can sponsor another non-EEA if not through EEA route?

I'm not in this situation, but it really confuses me...
As a settled person he can sponsor under the UK immigration rules - Family of British citizens and settled persons.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Artur1
Newly Registered

Post by Artur1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:45 am

Thank you Jambo for answering my query.

I'm not sure whether I will face this situation ever, but it is good to know that after obtaining PR you can actually date any nationality. And if the things work out for you both, you can actually apply as settled person in order to get your wife/husband partner visa.

I'm not feeling comfortable asking someone befoe even starting dating "what natinality you are, what is your status?" if you know what I mean :)

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 am

Artur1 wrote:Thank you Jambo for answering my query.

I'm not sure whether I will face this situation ever, but it is good to know that after obtaining PR you can actually date any nationality. And if the things work out for you both, you can actually apply as settled person in order to get your wife/husband partner visa.

I'm not feeling comfortable asking someone befoe even starting dating "what natinality you are, what is your status?" if you know what I mean :)

under UK law spouse visa is difficult and it's getting harder from next year

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:38 am

Artur1 wrote:Thank you Jambo for answering my query.

well not a problem at all. 2 yrs ago when i went on a date with someone she asked me this question and i find out she is a successful asylum seeker

Artur1
Newly Registered

Post by Artur1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:02 pm

I have checked the link provided by Jambo and the main criteria is to have annual salary of £18K.
So as long as you earn more than 18K (which is qiute do-able these days) and have "settled" status in the UK you have a high chance being successful with UK Law spouse application.

Or have I missed something askmeplz82?

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:11 am

Artur1 wrote:I have checked the link provided by Jambo and the main criteria is to have annual salary of £18K.
So as long as you earn more than 18K (which is qiute do-able these days) and have "settled" status in the UK you have a high chance being successful with UK Law spouse application.

Yeah... £18K is one thing. Another one is proving that relationships are genuine. Mark it, not "being in genuine relationships" is an issue, but proving it could become an issue.
Mean what you say, say what you mean

Artur1
Newly Registered

Post by Artur1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I agree Nimitta,
it must be not easy to prove that relationships are genuine if one person is in one country (UK) and his/her husband/wife in Brazil (as an example).

But if you are in genuine marriage, spending your holidays together and each other's families, staying in constant contact day-by-day; then I believe you have a good chance being successful under UK Spouse application.