ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for spouse after ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

misticalwinds
Newly Registered

Naturalisation for spouse after ILR

Post by misticalwinds » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi all,

I have 2 questions embedded in this query. I would be grateful for your advice/response.

I came to UK on 3 August 2008 after being granted the initial entry clearance dated 30 June 2008. I applied for my ILR (postal application) along with my wife on 10 June 2013 using the 90-day rule of entry in UK from the date of grant of entry clearance. Our application was successful and were granted ILR dated 30 October 2013.

Now my question is when can I and my wife apply for naturalisation i.e waiting for exactly 12 months from the date of ILR (in this case being eligible to apply for naturalisation on 1 November 2014) or can I take advantage of the 15-month rule ? I have read on various forums that if the application takes more than 3 months and it is not the applicant's fault then you can apply after 15 months from the date of application i.e 10 June 2013 (in this case being eligible to apply for naturalisation on 11 September 2014).

The other question that I have is that upon reading the guidance on UKBA website, a settled person has to fulfil the residence requirement of 5 years of being physically present in the country before applying for naturalisation. I will surely meet this requirement when I apply for myself next year but I have a confusion re the status of my wife.

To give some background I got married in February 2011 and my wife joined me in UK on 14 April 2011. She was able to meet the requirement of 2 years presence in UK for ILR purpose which went smoothly but she will only be here in the country for approx 3.5 years next year when we intend to apply for naturalisation. The question is whether she is eligible to apply for naturalisation with me or does she need to complete her 5 year physical presence in UK ?

The other option that I am aware of is being present in the country for 3 years only if you are the spouse of a British Citizen. If I apply for my naturalisation next year and become a British citizen, will she be able to use this route ?

Apologies for the long post but would really appreciate any advice.

Regards.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Long story. Short answer - check the FAQ (see link below).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)