ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

e-Petition to Prime Minister for the right of abode of BNOs

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BN(O)
Newly Registered

e-Petition to Prime Minister for the right of abode of BNOs

Post by BN(O) » Sat May 12, 2007 5:30 am

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ROAforBNO/

For BN(O) passport holders, please do sign the petition for our future. Thanks a lot.

Hong Kong is one of the few former British colonies that is a developed country. The GDP (PPP) per capita of HK ranked 8th in 2005. We have already performed as well as the UK socio-economically. Before the handover of Hong Kong, a significant number of residents obtained overseas citizenships (including UK) but most of them stayed in Hong Kong later. Even the UK grants full citizenship to all her nationals in Hong Kong, I don’t think a sudden wave of migration is probable. Chinese people in Macau are already have full Portuguese passport, why not us?

In fact, we cannot forget what Britain has done in Hong Kong. If Hong Kong was not under British colonial rule, it could not become such an amazing international financial centre. Some people worried that granting citizenships to BNOs will would adversely affect the Sino-UK relationship, but I think this act will bring the two countries closer instead.

The British Government has already offered most British passport holders full citizenship so I think that BN(O)s should also be treated equally. And this right is also stated clearly in the European Convention of Human Rights.

Eric
Newly Registered

Post by Eric » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:11 pm

Done...I would suggest everybody hand-in-hand to complain to European Parliament about the UK Government to violate the human right for the British National (Overseas), BOC and BPP holders.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:46 pm

Eric wrote:Done...I would suggest everybody hand-in-hand to complain to European Parliament about the UK Government to violate the human right for the British National (Overseas), BOC and BPP holders.
In what respect have "human rights" been violated?

All these people have a nationality of another country and have no more moral right to come and live in the United Kingdom than those from any other ex-colony.

Eric
Newly Registered

Post by Eric » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:12 pm

Hong Kongers were forced to change their nationality. There was no any choice to Hong Kongers. It is unfair to BDTC holder (before 1997) in Hong Kong

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:04 pm

Eric wrote:Hong Kongers were forced to change their nationality. There was no any choice to Hong Kongers. It is unfair to BDTC holder (before 1997) in Hong Kong
People in other ex-colonies becoming independent didn't get much of a choice either.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:39 pm

JAJ wrote:
Eric wrote:Hong Kongers were forced to change their nationality. There was no any choice to Hong Kongers. It is unfair to BDTC holder (before 1997) in Hong Kong
People in other ex-colonies becoming independent didn't get much of a choice either.
At an individual level that's true, but I suppose you could argue that most colonies made their own decision (by whatever mechanism) to become independent, whereas of course Hong Kong made no such decision because of the circumstances in which it was handed over to China.