ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Liam Byrne rules out any changes on Highly Skilled Migrant P

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

karupalli

Liam Byrne rules out any changes on Highly Skilled Migrant P

Post by karupalli » Tue May 29, 2007 10:34 am

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Liam Byrne rules out any changes on Highly Skilled Migra

Post by olisun » Tue May 29, 2007 10:53 am

But Byrne said: "I do not believe you can be a highly skilled migrant if you have been in the UK for a year without a job. This was a dry run for the points-based system, and we wanted to test some of the changes.
A quote from the above link....

karupalli

Post by karupalli » Tue May 29, 2007 2:05 pm

means more changes to come...:((

makon

Post by makon » Tue May 29, 2007 2:53 pm

The only thing that is constant in life is change, so always be prepared for changes

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Tue May 29, 2007 3:54 pm

The Court of Law has evidently not agreed with Mr Byrne's point of view in their recent judgement for GJ. Also referring to an HSMP holder "without a job" is meaningless as no one is asking for FLR based on doing no job. The issue is unjust retrospective implentation of new critieria when the earlier FAQ clearly stated that any further revisions to the scheme would not apply on the earlier HSMP visa holders. I guess politicians here are no different from third world politicians in making two faced statements

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue May 29, 2007 3:57 pm

Rog wrote:I guess politicians here are no different from third world politicians in making two faced statements
All the politicians are the same in any part of the world.

PASS

Post by PASS » Tue May 29, 2007 6:56 pm

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Tue May 29, 2007 10:29 pm

"I do not believe you can be a highly skilled migrant if you have been in the UK for a year without a job. "

Byrne is basically saying to the public that anyone complaining about the new rules is unemployed and on benefits.

LondonBlonde

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue May 29, 2007 10:36 pm

Yeah! without a job means unemployed...
but not on benefits because no recourse to public funds
What he is saying is that you are not highly skilled if you are unemployed, but if you make lots of money, NOW that's skills.
I dont agree with that premise but that's what his statement implies

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed May 30, 2007 12:07 am

But from what I've been reading, quite a lot of us do have jobs. And fairly good ones too. :?

Although the quote might have made sense a year ago, IMHO it's a non sequitur post-November 2006 changes.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:12 pm

Ya, we should all feel a bit foolish for leaving our high paying jobs in our home countries to be in this programme. Thanks to Byrne, nothing is gauranteed as of next year.

All those who thought they were safe, may now not qualify for settlement under the new 5 tier system.

LondonBlonde

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:19 pm

Do you have to meet the points requirements for ILR under HSMP?

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:23 pm

Not yet, but that may change as well.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:24 pm

What makes you say that? any hints being made by someone?

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:31 pm

Byrne himself. He has expressed concern for the entire HSMP programme stating that many of us are not actually skilled.

The interview quoted in this thread is a good example.

We have only been given general details of the new rules taking effect next year. And, if Byrne is given the opportunity to eliminate some of us at the ILR stage as part of the new rules, I'm sure he will do it.

LondonBlonde

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:23 pm

Well I hope you are wrong but as soon as I am eligible I am applying for ILR, to avoid the consequences of any new changes so I hope they don't change it anymore anytime soon and the uproar of the current changes will slow them down.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:37 pm

Good luck to you. I plan to do the same thing next year.

Those changes to the programme took effect without any warning last year. One day, we were all fine. And the next, we were all suspect and needed thinning out with tighter FLR rules.

LondonBlonde

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:45 pm

This is why it is very important that justice is done in the present JR filed in the court as this will prevent Home Office from applying any new legislation retropectively. This is important not only just for those who cannot meet 75 points in the presently changed rules but for all immigrants who may be earning higher levels of salaries, since if HO is successful now, there is no stopping them to implement any further retrospective legislation to take ILR further away from all non EU immigrants irrespective of their level of contribution to UK

victorind

Conservative says suspend the HSMP changes

Post by victorind » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:38 pm

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:10 pm

As far as I am concerned - and there are many who are in similar to me on this - the new rules and Liam's position on not making any further changes is all good news. The required work experience on the old system was a downer for fresh grads and those who had only been in the work force for a short time (ie YOUNG), or had spent time to get more qualified. I quite like the new system as it makes things more clear cut, and less power is in the hands of others (besides the case worker), as you are typically not relying on letters written by previous employers etc etc.

And obviously, sticking to the new system is good news for me too!

But what I maintain is ridiculously unfair, if the retrospective implementation of the new rules on those who made it in before the changes. If the old rules were honoured in the past, and permitted a certain calibre in, allow them to stay as they have obviously made effort to come to the UK.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:25 pm

LankanFunkin wrote:As far as I am concerned - and there are many who are in similar to me on this - the new rules and Liam's position on not making any further changes is all good news. The required work experience on the old system was a downer for fresh grads and those who had only been in the work force for a short time (ie YOUNG), or had spent time to get more qualified. I quite like the new system as it makes things more clear cut, and less power is in the hands of others (besides the case worker), as you are typically not relying on letters written by previous employers etc etc.

And obviously, sticking to the new system is good news for me too!

But what I maintain is ridiculously unfair, if the retrospective implementation of the new rules on those who made it in before the changes. If the old rules were honoured in the past, and permitted a certain calibre in, allow them to stay as they have obviously made effort to come to the UK.
This is hilarious Lankan. The new rules have not even been announced yet. How can you be in favour of them? What happened last year was only a prelude to the larger set of changes planned for next year.

I think only those who are self employed making a great deal of money would be nearly safe. I say nearly because anyone call fall ill. However if you are your own employer, you stand the best chance to recover even in that event.

If you work for someone else, you can always be made redundant. Simply said, it is out of your control. And, even under the rules as they stand now, if you are made redundant at the wrong time, goodbye. You will not even qualify for a Work Permit if this happens to you.

LondonBlonde

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Blonde, if I read those articles correctly, Liam said he will not be going back on the rules changed for the HSMP, made effective in November. However the HO will be revamping all the other visas, such as the work permits, etc etc. That said, I am not in favour of how those who are already out there on the old HSMP system are being treated. Stick to the new rules for all the new applicants - ok - but make provisions for those who came in before (ie don't make this retrospective).

On to your other point - while I do agree that being let go by your employer at the time may throw a wrench into your plans, I maintain that if we are all highly skilled migrants, we should not have too much trouble in picking up a new job in a timely manner.

PASS

Post by PASS » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:56 pm

LankanFunkin wrote: On to your other point - while I do agree that being let go by your employer at the time may throw a wrench into your plans, I maintain that if we are all highly skilled migrants, we should not have too much trouble in picking up a new job in a timely manner.
It seems you don't understand the meaning of ‘Highly Skilled’. Having HS may help to get a decent job not necessarily 'picking up a new job in a timely manner' as you presume. An average, even a HS British Citizen requires anything between 3-6 months to land a job something comparable if he was made redundant (unplanned scenario). This is because, if any organisation wants to recruit a decent employee (highly skilled), it is a major invest and the process takes longer. Whereas, if someone (HS) wants to change a job, it is possible to get decent job easily (planned scenario), again it is 3-6 months process!

Assume that a HS person made redundant and gets a job within a month, it may not be in a good organisation or a good position (99% certain unless it is a miracle). In those conditions, he is not really holding a HS position but still he is a HS person. The question is, ‘where and when he lands immediately after redundancy is a major concern because this will have an serious impact on FLR.
Last edited by PASS on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:00 pm

LankanFunkin wrote:Blonde, if I read those articles correctly, Liam said he will not be going back on the rules changed for the HSMP, made effective in November. However the HO will be revamping all the other visas, such as the work permits, etc etc. That said, I am not in favour of how those who are already out there on the old HSMP system are being treated. Stick to the new rules for all the new applicants - ok - but make provisions for those who came in before (ie don't make this retrospective).

On to your other point - while I do agree that being let go by your employer at the time may throw a wrench into your plans, I maintain that if we are all highly skilled migrants, we should not have too much trouble in picking up a new job in a timely manner.
Doctors and sientistst are very worried about their futures here under HSMP. Are you so far beyond them? What do you do then LankanFunkin? Cancer research? Cold Fusion scientist?

LondonBlonde

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:57 pm

PASS wrote:It seems you don't understand the meaning of ‘Highly Skilled’. Having HS may help to get a decent job not necessarily 'picking up a new job in a timely manner' as you presume. An average, even a HS British Citizen requires anything between 3-6 months to land a job something comparable if he was made redundant (unplanned scenario). This is because, if any organisation wants to recruit a decent employee (highly skilled), it is a major invest and the process take longer. Whereas, if someone (HS) wants to change a job, it is possible to get decent job easily (planned scenario), again it is 3-6 months process!
PASS, while I might say three months of your time estimate is reasonable, 4+ months of futile hunting would seriously make me re-evaluate my job-hunting process!

Perhaps its differences in industries thats causing our disagreement? I had success well within my time criteria in the areas of market research, consulting and finance, all in London. The roles I was applying for were somewhat specialized, requiring both a scientific and business background, so maybe the laws of supply and demand skewed things in my favor? Or maybe it was just plain dumb luck! :-P BTW, it is worth noting that I did use some fantastic recruiters for my search.

PASS, for the benefit of those reading, can you please comment on what field(s) you based your estimate, and availability of talent in the UK?