ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

getting Austrian passport through investment in Austria?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

igores07
Newly Registered

getting Austrian passport through investment in Austria?

Post by igores07 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:43 pm

Is it possible to get Austrian passport through investing in Austria?

I just came across a website of an immigration lawyer claiming it's possible to get Austrian passport through investment of about 2 million Euros (2.5 million Dollars) in Austria.

I personally find it hard to believe that it's possible. I assume Austria has strict rules concerning immigration and citizenship.

Can someone please confirm if such thing is true and also provide information from an Austrian government agency? (an official link or anything like that)

Thank you in advance,
Last edited by igores07 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: getting Austrian passport through investment in Austria?

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:32 pm

igores07 wrote:Is it possible to get Austrian passport through investing in Austria?

I just came across a website of an immigration lawyer claiming it's possible to get Austrian passport through investment of about 2 million Euros (2.5 million Dollars) in Austria.

I personally find it hard to believe that it's possible. I assume Austria has strict rules concerning immigration and citizenship.

Can someone please confirm if such thing is true and also provide information from an Austrian government agency? (an official link or anything like that)

Thank you in advance,

Aran
Most countries will issue visas leading to settlement to those with cash, even the UK.

The Thai guy currently buying Manchester City Football Club, it's 80 million pound ILR!

igores07
Newly Registered

Post by igores07 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:00 pm

Yes, but it is mostly true about countries with a tradition of immigration and the fact that they were built by immigrants like Canada, US, Australia and New Zealand.

It is hard to believe that Austria, a country with a not so foreign-friendly past would offer such option to immigrants.

But of course, money can buy everything in today's world.
Last edited by igores07 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:01 pm

I don't think you get an automatic passport. Like in the UK, it is a visa leading to settlement, so I think it might be the same system in place. Most old EU countries are strict about simply issuing passports out like that, so it would almost certainly include a period on a visa before being eligible to apply for PR/ILR equivalent.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:03 pm

igores07 wrote:Yes, but it is mostly true about countries with a tradition of immigration and the fact that they were built by immigrants like Canada, US, Australia and New Zealand.

It is hard to believe that Austria, a country which has a not so foreign-friendly past would offer such option to immigrants.
EU pop. is going down; they all need skilled/rich migrants whatever they want to say. True about Austria, though, but maybe that's why it is EUR2 million!!

igores07
Newly Registered

Post by igores07 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:07 pm

Thanks for your reply, but I still need an official conformation about it, so far I haven't been able to find any website of the Austrian government which addresses this option.

sakura wrote:
igores07 wrote:Yes, but it is mostly true about countries with a tradition of immigration and the fact that they were built by immigrants like Canada, US, Australia and New Zealand.

It is hard to believe that Austria, a country which has a not so foreign-friendly past would offer such option to immigrants.
EU pop. is going down; they all need skilled/rich migrants whatever they want to say. True about Austria, though, but maybe that's why it is EUR2 million!!

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:12 pm

igores07 wrote:Thanks for your reply, but I still need an official conformation about it, so far I haven't been able to find any website of the Austrian gov. which addresses this option.

sakura wrote:

Yeah it's really important to make sure it is genuine, so many fake companies out there. I have never heard of it, but maybe if you try some embassy websites or their version of Home Office BIA. Some Austrian embassies overseas (maybe in the US, Aus, Canada) might have such information, too. But their version of the BIA is the best bet. Never trust a company/organisation without first seeing it on the official government website!!

amzad
Newly Registered

Post by amzad » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:37 pm

i think there are always corrupt officials who do this. in that case, you wouldnt see it advertised on any govt website. its true that austria is not very friendly to foreigners. i remember reading that germany has lowered their investment criteria but you dont get an immediate passport. would be nice though. even canada gives an immediate pr, not passport.

igores07
Newly Registered

Post by igores07 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:47 pm

You're right, although part of Canada's immigration system is designed to attract business people (henceforth capital) to Canada, on the other hand because Canada needs immigrants, due to Canada's small population compared to its size so it's reasonable for Canada to have such program.

But obviously Austria is not an immigrant destination, of course not to mention that it's densely populated compared to Canada, I think even comparison is ridiculous in this case.

As we all know the word "immigration" is mostly used when talking about the following countries: US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I personally wouldn't list the UK with the rest, but it depends on people's views.

Most interesting is that this website also mentions 2 other countries as well, There are 2 island nations in the Caribbean: 1- the Commonwealth of Dominica, 2- St. Kitts & Nevis.

Just like Austria, it's possible to get a passport from these countries as well, but the significance of Austria is that it is the only European country to offer this option.

But all in all, my guess is that it's reasonable for the 2 island nations to have such program simply becasue these are tourist destinations and what is needed for such places is the investment of money and flowing of capital to their economies, but I'm not sure whether the same thing should be said for Austria too!
amzad wrote:i think there are always corrupt officials who do this. in that case, you wouldnt see it advertised on any govt website. its true that austria is not very friendly to foreigners. i remember reading that germany has lowered their investment criteria but you dont get an immediate passport. would be nice though. even canada gives an immediate pr, not passport.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:59 pm

Do you really want to make an investment in Austria or is this just a ploy to get a passport.
I recommend that unless you have an investment in mind, to not bother otherwise.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:10 pm

As far as I know the only "easy" way of obtaining Austrian citizenship (for non-EU citizens) is by becoming a professor at an Austrian university. You may be able to get residence by investment, but the normal requirements for citizenship include 10 years of residence, being fluent in German and renunciation of previous citizenships. See here or here (if you can read German).