ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse of EEA without residence-card yet

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

univas01
Nigeria

Spouse of EEA without residence-card yet

Post by univas01 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:59 am

Hi everyone,

I plan to apply for a Short stay French visa as Spouse of European Union Citizen as the following applies to me;

In possession of international student visa, valid until Dec 2014
Got married to EEA family member in the UK
In possession of Marriage Certificate
Not yet in possession of the residence-card

Can anyone tell me if I could apply as spouse of European Union without the residence card or would I just need to apply as tourist? Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:09 am

What nationality is the EEA family member?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:21 am

Portugal while I am a Nigerian. Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:11 am

You may apply for a free Schengen visa.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks for swift response. While filling the French visa application form, I'm being asked for the residence permit number and expiry date. I used my UK student visa number and expiry date. Is that okay?

vinny

Apply for schengen visa, EEA family member OR Int'l student

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:15 pm

univas01 wrote:Hi members,

I plan to apply for a Short stay (12 days) French visa as Spouse of European Union Citizen as the following applies to me;

Got married to EEA family member (Portuguese) in the UK, I'm a Nigerian
In possession of Marriage Certificate, May 2013
In possession of international student visa, valid until Dec 2014
Not yet in possession of the residence-card
Previously travelled to Germany (Solely on my student visa status), Dec 2013

Right now, I do not wish to apply for French visa on the ground that I'm an international student, though I still attend my school with 95% attendance rate :)

Will my application be successful as spouse of European Union without the residence card or would I still need to apply as tourist with my international student status? Thanks

NOTE: I was issued the exact numbers of days I intended to stay for my previous travel to Germany, so I believe if I apply as spouse of Spouse of European Union Citizen, I could get at least 3 months visa or more, even though I do not intend to stay in France for up to 3 months but it gives me travel flexibility.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:35 pm

I do not understand please? Let me know if my messsage is not clear enough

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:40 pm

See also Announcement.

If your spouse is travelling with you, then applying as the spouse of an EEA national seems to be the easiest path.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:22 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:You can enter under article 5.4 of directive 2004/38/ec if travelling with spouse. You may have problems with travel carriers without a visa or residence card - they may deny you travel.
I have posted this response in another thread that you've posted in.

To repeat what other moderators have advised, please stick to one place. Thanks.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Please understand me clearly, I'm not planning to travel without visa. I want to apply for a schengen visa

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:24 pm

A visa for the spouse of an Eu national is very straightforward. Fill in the form. Best of luck.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks my point is that, will wedding certificate alone proof that am a spouse of an EU national since I do not have residence card yet but I have valid student visa till Dec 2014.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:43 am

univas01 wrote:Thanks my point is that, will wedding certificate alone proof that am a spouse of an EU national since I do not have residence card yet but I have valid student visa till Dec 2014.
Yes : best advice visit french consulate
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

zimlady
Newly Registered

Schengen Visa without RC

Post by zimlady » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:18 am

Hello everyone. My personal, and recent experience (last week to be exact), is that the airlines will not allow you to board without either a Schengen Visa or a Residence Card. The lovely lady at the Easyjet counter said 'if you can get the embassy to issue a Schengen Visa, then you can travel, otherwise, no ...' My marriage certificate was said to be 'invalid' as it was issued in Zimbabwe, so although married for 27 years, this actually counts for nothing. If I had a British or European marriage certificate, Easyjet would have allow me to board, as this 'proves the marriage'... Sounds absolutely crazy to me!

We visited the Spanish Embassy, who will not entertain you at all, if you do not have a Residence Card or some form of visa in your passport, valid for at least three months after your RETURN, and we also visited the Portuguese Embassy, (my husband is Portuguese), and as we did not have an appointment, they wouldn't even let us in the door.

My situation is that my PR was refused on the grounds that I provided insufficient evidence of exercising treaty rights while my husband was self employed, but the case worker has now received a 4kg box of paperwork to prove otherwise, so we wait and see, but my holiday plans are now abandoned ...

If you know of a friendly embassy, who will actually afford the non-EEA spouse of an EU national to every opportunity to obtain a Schengen visa, irrespective of RC / PR, please do share ...

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks askmeplz82 and zimlady, I quite appreciate sharing your experience. In order for me to avoid this hassle, that's why I'd prefer to apply for Schengen visa. I'll keep you posted as I will be submitting my application nextweek.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:27 am

I was finally granted one year shengen visa, though it took me so long to update you on this development. Thanks everyone that contributed to this success.

zimlady
Newly Registered

Schengen Visa without RC

Post by zimlady » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Univas, that is great news. Can you please advise how you completed your form to obtain a year long Schengen visa, as I have never been given a Schengen visa longer than my intended visit. And which embassy / consulate provided the visa? Thank you.

univas01
Nigeria

Post by univas01 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:20 am

Hi zimlady, All I did was that I applied for spouse visa. Believe me, it is so easy once you are able to prove that you are legal spouse of EU family member, specifically for French visa application. I applied at French embassy with our marriage certificate together with her international passport. I hope it helps. Please do not hesitate to contact me if the need arise. Cheers!

happy321
Newly Registered

Post by happy321 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi
I am british citizen and my wife is dependent holding a indian passport and would like to travel to paris for 4 days. Could you please let me know do i need to apply visa for her?
Thanks in advance