ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

UKnow

Dual citizenship

Post by UKnow » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Hello All,

I have a question about multiple citizenship. I am planning to apply for my BC in September. There is a question about current citizenship. I hold now dual citizenship ( both have no problem with dual or multiple citizenships). However. I came and lived in this country on one of them and it is the one with the passport holding my PR now. My question is: Do I need to declare both citizenships on my application and take the two passports with me when I do the application? or do I only declare one citizenship that I have the PR stamped on its passport?

Thanks for your help in advance
UKnow

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:53 am

The one with PR is enough.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:38 am

Later when you apply for British passport you'll however need to provide details of both of your current passports.

UKnow

Post by UKnow » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Jambo wrote:The one with PR is enough.
Thanks Jambo always helpful
UKnow

UKnow

Post by UKnow » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm

ban.s wrote:Later when you apply for British passport you'll however need to provide details of both of your current passports.
Thanks ban.s for your quick response. I will keep that in mind
UKnow

VR

Dual Citizenship - A doubt

Post by VR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi,

Does it mean a BC application will not receive any negative effects if a person already has a dual citizenship.

The next question that comes to my mind is how many different passports can a person hold without any restrictions?

Appreciate if anyone can explain the law.
cheers
VR

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Normally a country either allow single citizenship or multiple citizenships. There is no restriction on the number of multiple citizenships one can hold as long as all of the countries allow multiple citizenships.

Pqek

Re: Dual Citizenship - A doubt

Post by Pqek » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:42 pm

VR wrote:Hi,

Does it mean a BC application will not receive any negative effects if a person already has a dual citizenship.

The next question that comes to my mind is how many different passports can a person hold without any restrictions?

Appreciate if anyone can explain the law.
cheers
VR
My children carry three passports, nationality from her mother, from myself and British. As long as the different countries allow multiple nationalities, there is no limit.

VR

thanks

Post by VR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Pqek and Jambo,

appreciate the info.
cheers

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 pm

I spoke to someone recently who had 4 (in 4 different continents)..... some nice travelling.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Priya_Rai

Post by Priya_Rai » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 pm

D4109125 wrote:I spoke to someone recently who had 4 (in 4 different continents)..... some nice travelling.
well depends on which countries they are. VISA free travel depends on which country's passport one holds rather than how many passport.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:35 pm

Priya_Rai wrote:
D4109125 wrote:I spoke to someone recently who had 4 (in 4 different continents)..... some nice travelling.
well depends on which countries they are. VISA free travel depends on which country's passport one holds rather than how many passport.
No, I meant free access to 4 continents :wink:
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Priya_Rai

Post by Priya_Rai » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:09 pm

D4109125 wrote:
Priya_Rai wrote:
ah, now that's something!

UKnow

Post by UKnow » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:29 pm

D4109125 wrote:
Priya_Rai wrote:
That is correct my children hold 4 passports as well and it is never been an issue. ( I hold 2, their mother hold one and a British passport as well)
UKnow

VR

UKnow: a light hearted response

Post by VR » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Now with this info many should now start aiming to have 4 wifes in 4 continents m8! :lol:

sgc

Wow!

Post by sgc » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:56 pm

UKnow wrote:That is correct my children hold 4 passports as well and it is never been an issue. ( I hold 2, their mother hold one and a British passport as well)
That's nice. Which 4?

UKnow

Post by UKnow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 am

ban.s wrote:Later when you apply for British passport you'll however need to provide details of both of your current passports.
Hello Ban.s..
Just to follow up on this comment you made to me few months back, I am now applying for my passport, will I also need to send both passports with my application as well.

To remind you, I hold dual citizenships, and I was just granted British citizenship ( Third one). In my application for passport, you mentioned I will need to declare both valid passports, and I am trying to understand if I need to send them both as well?
Thank you for your help
UKnow

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:11 am

I would send both (but I may be wrong and second one may not be required)

Section 3: Details of previous and current passports held

Uncancelled passports
In part B, enter details of all uncancelled passports that you are sending us. A cancelled passport has the top right-hand corner of the cover cut off. An uncancelled passport has not been cancelled by its issuing authority (British or another country). This may include:
• an expired passport (in other words one that has run out, see below)
• passports you are or were included on (for example, as a child), and
passports issued to you by other countries.

UKnow

Post by UKnow » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:15 pm

ban.s wrote:I would send both (but I may be wrong and second one may not be required)

Section 3: Details of previous and current passports held

Uncancelled passports
In part B, enter details of all uncancelled passports that you are sending us. A cancelled passport has the top right-hand corner of the cover cut off. An uncancelled passport has not been cancelled by its issuing authority (British or another country). This may include:
• an expired passport (in other words one that has run out, see below)
• passports you are or were included on (for example, as a child), and
passports issued to you by other countries.
Thank you ban.s I will send both any way and hope they both come back ! :)
UKnow