ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language and LIUK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

params0073
United Kingdom

English language and LIUK

Post by params0073 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi,
I have to apply for my ILR with my wife around dec 2014.My question is, to be safe from new English language requirement what if myself and my wife give exam before 28 oct 2013.As the certificate is valid for your lifetime I can use it later ?

Can I do this?

Thanks

Param

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Yes but the LIUK test on its own is not sufficient on its own for settlement after 28 October 2013. However, if you have a degree taught in English you should be fine.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I have a degree taught in English but the only thing I am worried about is my wife. She has a degree which also appears on PBC but PBC doesn't award any point. I mean I used my wife's qualification in PBC but all she got is zero point so not sure she can give the exam now (she is my dependent)?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:51 pm

params0073 wrote:I have a degree taught in English but the only thing I am worried about is my wife. She has a degree which also appears on PBC but PBC doesn't award any point. I mean I used my wife's qualification in PBC but all she got is zero point so not sure she can give the exam now (she is my dependent)?
If your wife's degree is comparable to a British degree as per naric and the medium was English, that should suffice.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

john353

Post by john353 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:00 pm

params0073, I am in the same situation with regards to English requirement as you, i.e. dependent has a degree which appears on PBC but PBC doesn't award any point. I am sure it is naric camparable, only that pbc is not updated.

D4109125, I hope you are correct! Not sure which one ukba gives precedence PBS list or direct NARIC, though logically it is the same.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:26 pm

Statement of Intent wrote:
It is possible that the requirements for English language for KoLL may change in the future and applicants will need to meet the requirements in place at that time.
The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:
• Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).
Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.
Both of these groups will, however, be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:09 pm

wait and watch I think.

Param

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:38 am

Hi,
I know this is bit early to comment but I would be happy if you guys can give me some suggestion.

My wife has a degree taught in English(which appears on PBC but PCB awards no point)and she has a certificate from college about the medium of her studies.So if the law changes can I do for NARIC English Language assessment(C1) ,would that be sufficient to prove the English level requirement or she still have to give test(B1 level)?

Thanks
Param

john353

Post by john353 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Wish it were more clear. AFAIK UKBA has only published their intent, not the rules as such. Hope they do it soon enough, as it gives time for us to do accordingly, especially those who have ilr due soon after october 2013. PBC list with respect to english is not up to date i think.

In the worst case scenario of a test, which is the easiest & faster test to do? Please comment.

Params, when is your ilr due is it DEC 2013 or 2014?

ideanokia6500

Post by ideanokia6500 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:23 pm

I want to share and want senior views as well.
When I got ILR I claim degree points means that degree was taught in english and university is on home office pannel and LIUK passed.
I want to know whether I have to pass B1 OR Degree will work I mean when I apply for naturalization.

My wife has passed ESOL entry level 3 and ukba granted ILR on that basis and now just she has to pass LIUK WHEN apply for naturalization,plz confirm seniors.

one more thing I want to share she has done ESOL from local council (free of charge)affiliation Trinity college london.
Is Esol entry level 3 is equivalent to B1 ?

thanks
HI

john353

Post by john353 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:40 pm

I did some research, and found some info in the below link. This is not for ilr english test, but for partners of already citizens and settled persons. Hope UKBA provides some thing similar for ilr purposes.
Comments welcome.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... icants.pdf

Extracted from above link

Question I have a degree/PhD but it is not included on the points based calculator.
Will you still accept it as evidence I meet the English requirement? "

Answer: We can only accept Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees and PhDs that are
recognised by UK NARIC.
If your Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD is recognised by UK NARIC
please submit evidence of your qualification as indicated above.
If you cannot find your Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD on the pointsbased calculator, you may still be able to use it to meet the English
requirement. In these circumstances you should contact UK NARIC directly
for an assessment of the level of the qualification and, if UK NARIC confirms it is of the required level, obtain a letter and/or confirmation certificate from UK NARIC. You can find a link to the UK NARIC website below. It is an
independent website, for which we are not responsible. It may charge a fee for
confirming qualifications. http://www.naric.org.uk/
You can then supply this statement of compatibility from UK NARIC with your application. However if UK NARIC cannot confirm the equivalence of your qualification you will not be able to use it to meet the new English language requirement.

john353

Post by john353 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:54 pm

For Tier 1, direct NARIC verification is only possible for qualification, but not for english. But as from my above post the rules are different for partners of settled/citizens. Comments welcome

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... fications/
If you cannot find your academic qualifications on the points-based calculator, you may still wish to claim points for it. If so, you should contact UK NARIC directly for an assessment of the level of the qualification and, if UK NARIC confirms it is of the required level, obtain a letter and/or confirmation certificate from UK NARIC. You can find a link to the UK NARIC website on the right of this page. It is an independent website, for which we are not responsible. It may charge a fee for confirming qualifications.

If UK NARIC cannot confirm the equivalence of your qualification, we will not award points for it. In this case, you may wish to use an alternative qualification if you have one.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... hlanguage/
You can use the points-based calculator, which you can find on the right side of this page, to check your degree before you apply. If you cannot find details of your degree on the calculator, UK NARIC will not be able to verify whether you meet the English language requirement. In that case, you should present an alternative qualification or select another way of showing that you meet the English language requirement.

kais

Post by kais » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:46 pm

APPLYING FOR ILR AFTER OCT 2013 With NEW RULES OF KOL AND LIUK

I will be applying in March 2014 for ILR, i already have proved english skills and been awarded points when applied first time for Tier 2(G) I only need to do LIUK test, only worry is for my wife (Dependent).

She has done Masters in English at BACK HOME and I checked it using PBS calculator and it DID AWARD 10 POINTS,
DOES it Means it will be ACCEPTED as it as by submitting it when applying for ILR or we will have to submit following additional letter

1) letter that it was taught in English 2) letter from NARIC UK that it is equivalent to UK Degree.

Thanks in Advance

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi,
Just got confirmation from Naris about the medium of instruction is English(for wife).So Now I Naric letter for bachelor degree comparability and ELA which says degree's medium of instruction is English(although they said degree is not comparable to C1).

Would combination of two be ok for English part of KOLL i.e. degree comparbilty naric and ELA?

Param

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Yes.

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks Amber.

Just to add for the benifit of other member the letter from naric said :-

Although it is confirmed that English is the medium of instruction in the teaching and examination system of the department providing this award, it is unfortunately has not been possible to confirm that the necessary English language requirment for CEFR Level C1 are met upon completion.

so the letter confims that degree was taught in English.

Param

john353

Post by john353 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:54 am

Amber, params

Won't the university letter regarding medium of instruction suffice in addition to naric statement of comparibility? Is NARIC english language assessment required?

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:07 pm

john353 wrote:Amber, params

Won't the university letter regarding medium of instruction suffice in addition to naric statement of comparibility? Is NARIC english language assessment required?
University letter would suffice.I went for ELA as it was my personal choice and also the fact that my wife had letter from college not from university.

Param