ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IELTS General Score required for Naturalisation?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SajSaj
Newly Registered

IELTS General Score required for Naturalisation?

Post by SajSaj » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi,

My wife and myself are currently on Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) granted on December 2012 and we are planning to apply for naturalisation next month.
As per the new rule from 28th October 2013 my wife has to meet English Language requirement to apply for naturalisation. (I don’t need to show this as I have Degrees taught in English)

My wife has taken IELTS General Module exam 2 weeks ago and below is her test score.

Overall Band 4.5
Listening 5.0
Reading 3.5
Writing 4.5
Speaking 4.5

In UKBA list of English Language tests and minimum grade required for these tests, for IELTS (Academic and General Training) it is showing minimum grade required as below.

Listening – 4.0
Speaking – 4.0
Reading – 4.0
Writing – 4.0

Please can anyone confirm whether my wife is eligible to apply for naturalisation with the above score she has obtained? In B1 level Speaking she has scored 4.5 and in Listening she has scored 5.0 but in Reading she has only scored 3.5.

Before we apply for naturalisation we wanted to confirm does she require minimum grade 4.0 for Reading as well? Or her Speaking and Listening Score is enough to meet English Language requirement for naturalisation?

Thank You.

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:54 am

Hi sajsaj,

overall 4.0 band is required. Also note that requirement for reading/writing are meet by attending Life in the UK test, Listening and speaking at B1 level is required for naturalisation.

So in theory it should be fine.

Tipu

sjimoh112

Post by sjimoh112 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:46 pm

There many english language test your wife can choose from. You may also like to know Cambridge FCE test could be an easier way out to reaching the score you required by ukba. I think it at B2 level. Unlike IELTS 2 years validity cambridge FCE certificate is valid for life and you don't give away another £135 or whatever it might cost in the future should you require the same level passed.

I had done both I the FCE is a lot easier in my view as you can only get C1 level if you score over 85 out of 100 I think. It is important to know that it's graded differently from IELTS and I urge you to try to understand how it works.

You may find practice material for free in the library.

I hope this is useful
[Moderator Edit]

sanaysun
Newly Registered

Re: IELTS General Score required for Naturalisation?

Post by sanaysun » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:43 am

i just got 2 weeks ago english exam ielts

my score is;

listening 4
speaking 6
writing 3,5
reading 4

allover score is 4,5

my question is ,i like to apply british citizenship,that result would be Ok to apply. even i got reading 3,5 score

i m just worry if i send the form and then they refuse it and loose my fees. please any body can give me some advice.

Thank you