ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Possible to do an SS by October?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cyaneidae
Newly Registered
Jamaica

Possible to do an SS by October?

Post by cyaneidae » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:12 am

Hi everyone!

I'm in a bit of a conundrum at the moment, as I'm about to apply for a postgraduate degree in the UK that would be starting in October, and I have a non-EEA partner whom I very much want to take to the UK with me. We're living in East Asia now, and I wonder whether it would effectively be possible to get married, adequately exercise treaty rights and move on to the UK in the course of nine months. Luckily, I am a self-employed freelancer and would thus be able to start being economically active pretty much instantly upon arrival in the EU. However, some things are still worrying me:

- Has anyone's EEA FP been rejected because they did not spend enough time in their other European country? We might be able to move by March at the earliest, which may be cutting it a little fine if six months is indeed the required minimum (especially under the new regulations from 01/01/14). Three months would be easy, of course, but from what I understand, that option may or may not be passé. And I know that the answer to this is somewhere on the forum, but I'm just confused about it, sorry: do you start applying for the FP after "serving" your half year or however long it may be, or is there actually a chance of the thing being ready after six months in total?

- Would it theoretically be possible for us to move on to the UK (him on a tourist visa, if need be) come October and stay registered in whichever othe country we choose, continuing to try and obtain the family permit if necessary? Or could I go alone and have him join me somehow after a month or two, if his FP isn't ready by October?

And finally, are there any countries that get the residence card and suchlike things done faster than others?

I'm a bit reluctant to send off my applications, because the university in question does not accept deferrals and it'd be quite bitter if I had to decline the offer. But then I don't really want to put it off for another year, either. Would be grateful about your thoughts on this - I've read this forum and all the legal details until my eyes bled, but can't quite work out what to do nonetheless. :)

Thanks.

Edit: Addition - I'm a dual citizen, UK/Germany, and I've been warming to the idea of renouncing my British citizenship to skip the financial burden and stress of having to move to another EU country for half a year and then move again. I've read in various places that this has been done successfully, but couldn't find any concrete success stories. Does anyone know how long it takes to renounce citizenship and be issued a confirmation of having done so?

euroguys

Post by euroguys » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Some countries are indeed faster to issue a residence card My Missus arrived in Portugal end of November 2011 having obtained a shengan 90 day visa from the embassy in Jakarta as family members (we had to pay 60 euros plus carrier) this process took some time however this was due to the incompetence of the consul there having no idea what the rules were, dont come across it i suppose .

Once in Portugal we attended internal immigration within 3 days of arrival (a different department) and were informed 3 weeks later the residence card was ready however they had made a mistake and had to leave new photo they re issued the card correctly and with apology two weeks later for a cost of 15 euros (cost of an ID card for a national) about six weeks start to finish although the initial entry visa took 6 weeks intensive and our initial contact was begun 6 months before that.

If its of interest I would be happy to walk you through the process from start to finish can you P.M.?

cyaneidae
Newly Registered
Jamaica

Post by cyaneidae » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks for your help! Would be more than happy if you could explain the whole process to me, P.M. is just fine. :)

euroguys

Post by euroguys » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:40 pm

P.M. sent cant see it in my sent box I dont know if you need an amount of posts befor you can receive/send reply if you got it