ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP, 1+3+1 EXTENSIONS

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

inderjit
Newly Registered

Post by inderjit » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi
Are you sure about wording written on letter from office. I have checked my letter as well. Home office have not used word ILR. Home office letter state that after 4 years you can apply for further leave to remain in some other category. Could you please check your HOME OFFICE letter again.
thanks

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:14 pm

My three year extension letter after the first year of HSMP very clearly states in black and white that at the end of the 3 year FLR period I can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Only after showing this letter, I could get a decent employment.

At some point of time even before they announced the 4-5 years rule change for ILR when they had internally decided that they would not be giving ILR after 4 years, they changed the wording of this letter to state that you may apply for Further Leave to Remain to the later applicants.

Not that the letter means much since a signed letter from HO on its letter head can be retracted and made null and void under retrospective application of rules.

However I am considering to legally challenge HO on the basis of this letter.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:31 pm

That would be cool rog. Would like to see someone do this. Although you might wait for the High Court decision next month. If that is favorable then you might be wasting your money.

LondonBlonde

victorind

Invitation to all HSMP holders in the UK

Post by victorind » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:11 am

HSMP Forum a non profit making organisation formed after the Nov 2006 retrospective changes has now launched its only official website www.hsmpforumltd.com , for regular updates on its Judicial Review and various other activities register now at its forum at http://forum.hsmpforumltd.com

The retrospective changes implemented by the UK Home Office in Nov 2006 have caused lots of hardships for HSMP holders who have already been in the UK since 2002.

Due to these changes majority of the HSMP holders do not qualify for further leave to remain. The UK Government is backing off from the very promises they made to HSMP Immigrants on which they were invited to UK. After the retrospective changes implemented on 8th Nov people are being asked to re-qualify for their visa extension thru an unfair points based system (PBS) rather than initial promise of extension on economic activity alone.

The Commission for facial Equality (CRE) after a meeting with HSMP Forum recently wrote to Immigration and Nationality Directorate informing that the new rules does indirect discrimination towards non EEA nationals and penalizes ethnic minorities.

After several requests made by CRE to provide the Race Equality Impact Assessment (REIA) copy, the REIA was provided by Border and Immigration Agency (IND) to CRE next day after HSMP Forum raised the issue during the meeting with the Immigration Minister on 26th March 07. CRE criticized BIA on not publishing the REIA (or making it available), lack of consultation for the changes and basically conducting a flawed REIA.

Many HSMP immigrants don't qualify for further Extension due to these new changes and are being forced to wind up their establishments, careers, schooling of their children, and investments and are being forced to leave the Country. This is after making innumerable sacrifices like leaving their well established careers back home, selling their properties and overall uprooting their family to settle in the UK based on the undertaking given by the UK Government.

A Judicial Review has been filed against the changes by HSMP Forum Ltd and further development on the same is still awaited.

Join now at the forum, support the campaign and discuss your issues and get support at www.hsmpforumltd.org

aj77

Assurances give rise to Legitimate Expectations

Post by aj77 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:38 am

Assurances give rise to Legitimate expectations and Judge find the decision of rejection to be disproportionate and infringement to Applicant's right under article 8 of ECHR (Paragraph 20,Page 9 in Mr Hossain's decision).Link is
http://www.hsmpforum.com/AIT%20WIN/HOSSAIN_AIT.pdf
If we see GJ's case ,
http://www.gherson.com/node/561
The immigration judge considered the HSMP application made by GJ, which required him to state that he intended to make the UK his main home and his country of habitual residence.
The documentation given to applicants at the time of GJ’s application in summer 2005, when GJ applied, stated:

How will the revised HSMP affect me?
Not at all. It is important to note that once you have entered the programme you are in a category that has an avenue to settlement. Those who have already entered under HSMP will be allowed to stay and apply for settlement after four years qualifying residence regardless of these revisions to HSMP .

The immigration judge made clear that he was not saying that changes to the HSMP were unlawful per se but that the changes were unlawful as they were applied to GJ because GJ was right to say that he had a legitimate expectation to remain. He considered that in GJ’s case the decision was not in accordance with the law, as is required by Article 8 ECHR
and in Mr Hossain's case,

Paragraph 11 explains the same Assurances given by HO in HSMP guidance version 2003,paragraph 14 explains article 8 of ECHR.

In Paragraph 19 and paragraph 20 ,judge gave reasons of his decision that why he consider the decision of rejection breached article 8 of ECHR.

Both the decisions have same outcome on same grounds that whatever has been committed to us in HSMP guidance 2003 should be honoured as the assurances give rise to legitimate expectations and decision of rejection breaches article 8 of ECHR.

I personally feel anyone from 1+3 group who cannot qualify 75 points and expecting rejection of application should go for ILR, as deportation notice will be issued in both cases if he goes for FLR or ILR and Appeal could be successful on the same grounds so why not go for ILR instead of FLR

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:16 am

"The Commission for facial Equality (CRE) after a meeting with HSMP Forum recently wrote to Immigration and Nationality Directorate informing that the new rules does indirect discrimination towards non EEA nationals and penalizes ethnic minorities. "

I don't quite get their point here - immigration laws per se discriminate directly against non-EEA nationals, that's the whole point!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:12 pm

The CRE has found against the Home Office on the grounds that it has descriminated against a nationality, rather than simply protecting EU Nationals. Sending home HSMP visa holders can and does appear to be unfairly targeting people from India, given that most HSMP holders are of Indian descent.

I think this is where they are coming from.

LondonBlonde

LondonBlonde

Re: Assurances give rise to Legitimate Expectations

Post by LondonBlonde » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:16 pm

aj77 wrote: I personally feel anyone from 1+3 group who cannot qualify 75 points and expecting rejection of application should go for ILR, as deportation notice will be issued in both cases if he goes for FLR or ILR and Appeal could be successful on the same grounds so why not go for ILR instead of FLR
aj77, this is a good idea. I'd like to see someone try this and win.

LondonBlonde

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:40 pm

It seems to me that there are good arguments about legitimate expectation for people in the position as stated in the letter.

I am doing quite a lot of legitimate expecation work (in a different area, relating to policy and asylum) and it's a fast-developing area of law.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:54 pm

Amanda, are you a solicitor here under HSMP? If so, let us know and we will bow to your authority. Seriously, people with legal background rarely post on this site.

LondonBlonde

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:38 pm

No, I'm not a solicitor, and I'm not here on HSMP. I'm a British citizen by birth (although, irrelevantly perhaps, my other half has dual nationality and immigrated here as a child).

I'm a barrister, I do mostly (95%) immigration law, and it's interesting to read people's experiences and stories here. I hope you don't feel that is inappropriate, where I can, I try to point people towards relevant information.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:58 am

Amanda, we're happy to have you. I think we can all use your help right about now.

LondonBlonde

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:59 am

Thanks. (I am also a London blonde!)

aj77

Post by aj77 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:33 am

It would be interesting if somebody can copy paragraph 19 and 20 from
and paste it on this board.So that everybody can see the finding and reasons of the judge.In the decision, Judge said," all the assurances swept away by applying these changes retrospectively to the applicant in this case".He clearly mentioned that these assurances give rise to legitimate expectation and rejection of application ignoring these assurances breaches article 8 of ECHR.
On the basis of this decision every HSMP holder can get extention if he satisfies the previous criteria i.e i)one should remain economically active
ii)and not to use Public Fund.
he can also apply for ILr after completion of 4 years according to this decision.
Anybody who recently completed 4 years and got extention for 5th year or more can also take the chance of applying for ILR on the basis of this decision.If he couldn't qualify now ,he can appeal to AIT and outcome can come within 3 months.otherwise he already would have the option of applying for ILR after completion of 5 years.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:06 am

While that case is an interesting example of how immigration judges may apply the law, it is only a first instance decision, and not a reported one. It therefore isn't a precedent, and under the Practice Direction shouldn't be used in another case.

aj77

Post by aj77 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:19 am

It is not the first case,Gj's case also have the same comments.
If we see GJ's case ,
http://www.gherson.com/node/561
The immigration judge considered the HSMP application made by GJ, which required him to state that he intended to make the UK his main home and his country of habitual residence.
The documentation given to applicants at the time of GJ’s application in summer 2005, when GJ applied, stated:

How will the revised HSMP affect me?
Not at all. It is important to note that once you have entered the programme you are in a category that has an avenue to settlement. Those who have already entered under HSMP will be allowed to stay and apply for settlement after four years qualifying residence regardless of these revisions to HSMP .

The immigration judge made clear that he was not saying that changes to the HSMP were unlawful per se but that the changes were unlawful as they were applied to GJ because GJ was right to say that he had a legitimate expectation to remain. He considered that in GJ’s case the decision was not in accordance with the law, as is required by Article 8 ECHR
According to my information 5 to 6 cases have got successful decisions but due to confidentiality,they did not issue those publicly.
Another succesful HSMP applicant's name is Gary Douglas but he did not make his decision public because of confidentiality purpose.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:31 am

"first instance" doesn't mean it's the first decision, it means it's at the lowest level of the court structure, unreported, and can't be a precendent.

aj77

Post by aj77 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:35 am

oh ok but Gary douglas won the case in high court I think.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:55 am

I have looked, and can find no reported decision relating to the recent HSMP changes (although there was one relating to doctors working in the NHS on HSMP).

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:29 am

Amanda, what do you think of the High Court case?

Is there a chance those of us who have been here under HSMP for over four years will be handed ILR without applying?

A friend suggested this was possible, and it got my hopes up.

Also, is there a chance we will get back the money spend for the fourth year FLR if that's already been processed?

Thank you,

LondonBlonde

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:30 am

It is really hard for me to say - I haven't read the papers in enough detail, or the SSHD's justification and defence. As a barrister, it's also difficult for me to give legal advice.

Having said that, the Court of Appeal seems to be getting friendlier in relation to legitimate expectation cases in immigration law - I've done (and am doing 2 more this week) in relation to legitimate expectation over a policy applying to asylum seekers.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Hi Amanda

It is good to see professional in this forum. You should have joined earlier to assist members. But better late than never ...

Pantaiema
avjones wrote:No, I'm not a solicitor, and I'm not here on HSMP. I'm a British citizen by birth (although, irrelevantly perhaps, my other half has dual nationality and immigrated here as a child).

I'm a barrister, I do mostly (95%) immigration law, and it's interesting to read people's experiences and stories here. I hope you don't feel that is inappropriate, where I can, I try to point people towards relevant information.

ybyuan2001

Post by ybyuan2001 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:10 pm

Welcome! Amanda

ybyuan2001

Post by ybyuan2001 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:39 pm

Any news for the High Court Appeal?[/quote]

aj77

Post by aj77 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:37 pm

AS 4-5 year rule hearing has been postponed for another 6 months and now new dates for hearing will be 17,18 december of 2007, all the hopes for getting justice right in time are gone now.

Only option left is to apply through transitional arrangement for self employment.
Any idea regarding this option will be welcomed.