ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence card rejection, EU law, and Sweden

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

treena.oakley
Newly Registered

Residence card rejection, EU law, and Sweden

Post by treena.oakley » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:30 pm

I am seeking some advice from the experience of Immigration Boards. I apologize for the length.

I am a Canadian citizen married to a Norwegian citizen; my wife is exercising her freedom of movement treaty rights (Directive 2004/38/EC) by residing in Sweden, but working in Norway (self-sufficient) which forms the basis for our residency in Sweden. We moved in December 2012 and applied for a residence card in February for myself. My application for a residence card was rejected a few days ago by Swedish migration board on the basis that:

1. my partner does not make sufficient income/have sufficient means to provide for the household

2. my health insurance has a limit and it doesn't specify what type of coverage it is.

Now, to my understanding #1 should be irrelevant since the migration board's website says that:
The maintenance requirement does not apply to you if you:
are a citizen of Sweden, another EEA country or Switzerland
However, because we like to be sure (and know the directive stipulates income requirements for self-sufficient), we double checked prior to applying and do meet the requirements for self-sufficient income (significantly over the "the level that would qualify your family for basic income support" in Sweden) and she is still within her rights to remain in Sweden as self-sufficient under the Directive's guidelines.

We had also offered my wife's new contract (hers ended in June but was renewed), but our caseworker said she didn't want additional information because what she had was enough for her to work with.

As for #2: Because we applied for the EEA route, not the Nordic citizen route, we found no information about health insurance (that is featured on the Nordic citizen page). We also initially assumed I was also covered under the Norwegian social services that my wife is covered by, but we received a letter some time in May asking for health care for me, so we called our case worker for more information. Her reply was that she didn't care what it was, just so long as it covered more than travel insurance. We purchased some (standard health insurance with a yearly maximum coverage, average limitations, recommended by others who had applied for residence card, valid until 2015 with possibility to renew after that, and indicates that it's both "travel" and "residence" health insurance) and sent it in. To make sure everything was okay, we called a few weeks later and she said she was checking it out, but would contact us if anything was wrong or incorrect -- but we never heard back so assumed all was okay.

The rejection letter cited a Swedish case (which we cannot find online it's from Göteborg courts and is case # 1285-13) saying that the health insurance should not have any restrictions or limits to cost -- however isn't it a little unreasonable to ask for unlimited health insurance? I know the ECJ hasn't ruled on a definition of comprehensive sickness insurance, but can there be this drastic an expectation from Sweden? Especially since any medical treatment my plan failed to cover would be my responsibility and not the Member States, thus I would pose no undue burden on the social services of the Member State. (side note: I've never heard of a health insurance plan that is unlimited in both cost and coverage). Does Baumbast (93) apply to this situation?

Additionally, the whole process took just over 10 months, which, if I recall correctly, the Directive says should be no more than 6 months. We were very clear that we were applying for a residence card (not residence permit) and that we were applying based on EEA residency (not Nordic residency).

The migration board says we have no right to appeal (bottom of page), however, I feel that there are strong grounds for appeal here. Has there been some violation of Directive/European law here? Are we within our rights to request an appeal/reconsideration?

We've tried contacting our case worker, but she only answers her phone an hour each day and has been away for the past few days.

Any help or advice you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Perhaps you should quote Kempf or Levin to them.

She is a frontier worker and should be treated as such.

Geven might also be of assistance.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

treena.oakley
Newly Registered

Post by treena.oakley » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:34 am

We finally got in contact with our case worker, but she seemed mostly uninterested in listening to us and stuck with the decision and the reasoning behind it. She did agree that we were meeting financial obligations for free movement, but got stuck on the health insurance. She even stated that it's hard to find a CSI that meets the demands set out and she couldn't think of one.

We're at our wits end because we really don't want to have to wait another 14+ months for the application for a residence card to be decided.

mgb

Post by mgb » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:31 am

You could try SOLVIT as a first step:
http://ec.europa.eu/solvit/site/centres ... htm#sweden

treena.oakley
Newly Registered

Post by treena.oakley » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:07 pm

We did end up contacting SOLVIT who, in turn, contacted the Swedish migration board. The response we got was that there is a difference between residence card and residence permit and for an RC they take into account income and health insurance and that we should re-apply for a R.P instead of R.C (although we applied for a R.C purposely).

SOLVIT, however, didn't answer the initial concerns that we made enough money and had comprehensive insurance, but that according to Swedish authorities, neither were sufficient.

So basically, the Migration board ignored the actual issues, but provided a solution suitable enough for SOLVIT to consider it a success. I did receive confirmation that Baumbast could/should be applicable in this case and that migration board should have considered future income and not just what was known at the time, but because SOLVIT did get a solution, the issue won't be pushed unless we're willing to challenge it (which neither of us particularly want to).

mgb

Post by mgb » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:48 am

Maybe you can contact solvit again and point out that you applied for a residence card for a family member of a eea/eu citizen.
Ask the question if it is lawfull to reject such a request with rules regarding to national immigration law.
Ask the question if its lawfull to withdraw any right of appeal.

doni
Newly Registered

Re: Residence card rejection, EU law, and Sweden

Post by doni » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:03 pm

hi
im a citizenship from kosovo.
and my 4 year old doughter wich lives in sweden with her mom.and they took resident permit card in may 2014. and me and my doughters mom we are divorced...but i live in kosovo
i wanna know wich is my possibility or wich rights do i have to go and be together with my doughter in sweden .
i wanna know do i have the right to go in sweden
what should i do
how should i apply