ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA1 SUCCESS - CROYDON PEO

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rozen
Diamond Member

EEA1 SUCCESS - CROYDON PEO

Post by Rozen » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:03 pm

A few days ago I accompanied my husband (Dutch) to apply for his EEA1 Residence Card from Croydon. Thought I'd share the experience...

We had booked the appointment two weeks in advance for 1pm, and were advised to arrive by 12.30pm. We got there at 12.10pm, and were told to "wait outside until you are called" by a security officer. (Which I must say, didn't sit very well with my hubby :x )

At about 12.20 we were ushered into the building and passed through the security scanning system. Belts, bags, jackets and all, just like at the airport. We were then directed to the "appointment queue", and called to a counter about 15 minutes later. An arrogant clerk gruffly asked for our appointment reference number, then my husband's passport, application form, and supporting documents. He took quite a while flicking through the well documented evidence file, as if looking for an excuse to find something wrong. Unfortunately for him, we had done our homework, and he had no choice but to give us a ticket to proceed to the second floor.

A much friendlier security officer referred us to counter 15, where we waited our turn. A good thirty minutes later we were called to the counter, where my husband handed over his ticket and documents. The lady went through them, removed some documents for photocopying, entered some information onto her computer, and asked us to return in about two hours. We went back after about 90 minutes, and his Card was ready to be signed and collected!

As for the documents; my husband relocated from Holland early last year, after landing a contract with a UK firm. He quit six months later to start his own Ltd company. So the documents HO was interested in photocopying were as follows (although we compiled much more)...

Dutch Passport
EEA1 Application Form with two photos
Employment Contract, Payslips and Resignation Letter to UK Firm
Last six months bank statements from his currrent account
Certificate of Incorporation of Ltd Co.
Memorandum & Articles of Asociation for Ltd Co.
NI Contributions Account and proof of payment
Certificate of Registration for VAT
Letter from Accountants confirming they deal with HMRC matters for our Ltd Co.
Last three months bank statements for Ltd Co.

He had completed the "self-employed" section of the application form, even though technically he is not self employed, but employed as a Director of his Ltd company. (We were advised this by HO when we called to ask which section was appropriate for him).

All in all, apart from the unpleasant moron in the Hall downstairs, it wasn't as bad an experience as I feared it would be :)

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:56 am

great news!
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:30 am

Rozen, do you mind if I ask one question....why did your husband bother to go through this hassle when there is absolutely no legal requirement to obtain a residence card for EU citizens in the UK?

He could just carry on indefinitely with nothing but his Dutch passport as proof of his right to work here.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:52 pm

No, Dawie, I don't mind. It's just a back-up as proof of exercising his Treaty rights in another EU country whenever we return to Holland, bearing in mind that I am a non-EU citizen :wink:.