ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i shift from degree after first year to diploma ?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

affan546
Newly Registered

Can i shift from degree after first year to diploma ?

Post by affan546 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:29 pm

hi
guys, when i came to ireland since i was enrolled for degree program.I Didnt realize that there are less job's scope in dublin i had to do part time jobs in dublin .But the problem is that degree requires time and i dont have job which is another part of question .

first can i shift from degree to diploma?
secondly can i get some sort of money from irish government if there is no jobs in ireland?

please reply

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Can you transfer from degree to diploma? You must ask the university you attend, it will be their decision.

If you make the right case, it may be possible for you to do the degree over a longer period of time. So for example, if you are ill with exhaustion/some medical condition of which you have medical proof, then you may take six years instead of three to complete a degree, as students with disabilites must be supported, and completing the study over a longer period of time is considered appropriate support. That is one example and it refers only to the university position on the matter, the position of immigration officials may be different.

Can you get money from Irish government if there are no jobs? It depends on your personal circumstances, so in some cases the answer is yes, but in many cases the answer is no.

So for example, if you are a non-EU student on a valid student visa, which grants you permission to live in Ireland, then if you have a partner/spouse (male or female) who is an EU/Irish citizen/stamp 4, and THEY are entitled to social welfare (because THEY are unemployed or ill, for example) then they can put you on their claim as a dependent spouse/partner.

That is one example, there are others also, but it would require a lot of knowledge of your personal life to find an approach that is suitable to your circumstances.

If you have worked in Ireland, and paid sufficient prsi, then it may be possible for you to claim benefit in your own right, but this is a very complicated area, most students who claim do so as dependent spouse/partner. (Students, even Irish citizens, are generallly not permitted to claim social welfare themselves, but they can be dependents on the claim of a partner).

If you are the parent of an Irish citizen child, you can change from a student visa to a Zambrano visa, then you may have an entitlement to money on this basis - again, various conditions apply.

So there are different ways to be entitled to money, but it depends on your personal circumstances.
BL

affan546
Newly Registered

Post by affan546 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:53 am

i am on valid student visa ...i mean i dont require welfare or something but can government help me regarding the right job???

New App
Newly Registered

Re: Can i shift from degree after first year to diploma ?

Post by New App » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:02 pm

affan546 wrote:hi
guys, when i came to ireland since i was enrolled for degree program.I Didnt realize that there are less job's scope in dublin i had to do part time jobs in dublin .But the problem is that degree requires time and i dont have job which is another part of question .

first can i shift from degree to diploma?
secondly can i get some sort of money from irish government if there is no jobs in ireland?

please reply
No, You are in a no win situation.

It state on the INIS website that your education must be progressive (i.e. you cannot go backwards in terms of your education a diploma is a "lesser" qualification than a Degree.

Students are supposed to have sufficient finance to support your time in Ireland and working is seen as something to supplement that, If you cannot support yourself you could be asked to leave Ireland as your primary objective is study and employment is only to supplement your stay.

This is not helpful for your situation but it is the reality.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:10 pm

There are half a million people looking for work in Ireland at present, so jobs are not easy to get.

You can go to the FAS/Intreo office and see what jobs are advertised, but this is the only help I know of that the government will give.

There is more help if you are an EU/Irish or stamp 4 holder.
BL