ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return of Passport

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

billieuk
Newly Registered

Return of Passport

Post by billieuk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:13 pm

My scenario is that I'm a British Citizen, and my wife is a TCN over-stayer. Having got no where trying to regularize her status in the UK we want to leave and return via the tried and tested Singh route. My issue is that the UKBA has held on to her passport. I realise that technically I don't need her passport if we can prove her identity and that we are married, however to simplify the process I want to apply for a short stay Schengen visa, which is what I've been recommended by several European consulates.

What I want to know is whether anyone has had any fortune in getting the passport returned by UKBA for this purpose rather than collecting it at point of departure which seems to be their prescribed scenario?

Thanks

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Return of Passport

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 pm

You are an EU citizen. Your wife is your family member. The UK requires to facilitate your rights of freedom of movement. It may be understandable from their point of view that they require to hold onto an overstayers' passport, but they require to balance that against effectively imposing an exit visa or other equivalent formality, which is forbidden.

Talk to them.