ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cohabitation Documents - Need Help from Experts

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tree.bronze
Newly Registered

Cohabitation Documents - Need Help from Experts

Post by tree.bronze » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:38 am

Hi
I am planning to apply for ILR in June 2014, though there is still some time, I am trying to gather some information / details and document needed. I have been in UK on Tier 2 ICT and then changed to Tier 1 General with an extension.

1. Tier 2 ICT - Self Entry - 29/06/2009 -
Dependant - Spouse and Kids Entry - 20/03/2010 -

2. Changed to Tier 1 (General) Self + Family - 5/04/2011 ( 2 years)

3. Tier 1 (General extension) Self + Family - 5/04/2013 ( 3 years)

I shall be completing my 5 years on 29/06/2014 hence I am planning to apply for ILR in June around 15/06/2014 (after 4 year and 11 months)

I have got the following queries on Cohabitation requirements
1. My family is registered with NHS and My wife is registered with NHS / Local GP since Mar'2011, however we have moved cities and accordingly have changed the NHS/ GPs. Is it possible to get a letter from NHS and can that be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

2. We have a Joint account since last 1 year - Jan 2012. I have account statements which I can show. Can these be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

3. I have moved to new house in Aug 2012 and have rental agreement is in both me and my wife's name. Can this be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

4. Council Tax bill have name of both of us only form Aug 2012, will these bills be enough to meet / be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

5. Electricity and Water have names of both of us from Aug 2012. Will these bills be enough to meet / be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

In short most of the document have got me and my wife's name from August 2012 and I am applying for ILR in June 2014, will these above documents be enough or do I need more? From June 2009 to July 2012, there are no documents which have my wife's name (Council tax bill, Tenancy agreement Utility bills etc.), even though we were residing together in UK.

Could somebody please guide us if the above docs are enough or provide some more details on what would be the best approach?

Thanks and Regards
BT

lunakick

Re: Cohabitation Documents - Need Help from Experts

Post by lunakick » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:03 am

tree.bronze wrote:Hi
I am planning to apply for ILR in June 2014, though there is still some time, I am trying to gather some information / details and document needed. I have been in UK on Tier 2 ICT and then changed to Tier 1 General with an extension.

I shall be completing my 5 years on 29/06/2014 hence I am planning to apply for ILR in June around 15/06/2014 (after 4 year and 11 months)

1. My family is registered with NHS and My wife is registered with NHS / Local GP since Mar'2011, however we have moved cities and accordingly have changed the NHS/ GPs. Is it possible to get a letter from NHS and can that be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

--maybe, but maybe not needed.

2. We have a Joint account since last 1 year - Jan 2012. I have account statements which I can show. Can these be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

--yes.

3. I have moved to new house in Aug 2012 and have rental agreement is in both me and my wife's name. Can this be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

--yes.

4. Council Tax bill have name of both of us only form Aug 2012, will these bills be enough to meet / be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

--yes

5. Electricity and Water have names of both of us from Aug 2012. Will these bills be enough to meet / be shown as a document to meet Cohabitation requirements.

--yes

In short most of the document have got me and my wife's name from August 2012 and I am applying for ILR in June 2014, will these above documents be enough or do I need more? From June 2009 to July 2012, there are no documents which have my wife's name (Council tax bill, Tenancy agreement Utility bills etc.), even though we were residing together in UK.

Could somebody please guide us if the above docs are enough or provide some more details on what would be the best approach?

Thanks and Regards
BT
--You can also have letters before August 2012 that are addressed to the same address but may have been posted separately to you and your wife. I did this for a couple of the documents - it just means you may have more than 6 pieces of mail. But I don't think you have to have letters starting exactly 2 yrs prior (e.g., June 2012). I think the rule of thumb is about one document for every 3-4 months, but I loosely followed that rule.

tree.bronze
Newly Registered

Post by tree.bronze » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:59 am

tree.bronze wrote:Hi

--maybe, but maybe not needed.

--yes.

--yes.

--yes

--yes

Thanks and Regards
BT
lunakick wrote:--You can also have letters before August 2012 that are addressed to the same address but may have been posted separately to you and your wife. I did this for a couple of the documents - it just means you may have more than 6 pieces of mail. But I don't think you have to have letters starting exactly 2 yrs prior (e.g., June 2012). I think the rule of thumb is about one document for every 3-4 months, but I loosely followed that rule.
Thanks a lot lunakick,
Please could you help me understand what is meant by "you have more than 6 pieces of mail" a " the rule of thumb is about one document for every 3-4 months, but I loosely followed that rule" .

Also is it mandatory to have letters etc address to me and wife separately, as I think almost all letters have been address to me alone. Can I give the following :
1. Tenancy Agreement older than 2 years
2. A Letter from NHS that me and my wife stayed at the address
3. Letter from Council that we were registered for the electoral services.

Thanks
BT

lunakick

Post by lunakick » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:40 pm

I'll clarify by listing what I had. Had about 7 letters in total that I received in the post (mail).
1) statement from the current account which had both our names on it
2) letter from child's school regarding school placement with both our names on it
3) letter from our local club with both our names on it
4) council document with both our names on it
5) council document with both our names on it
6) credit card statement with my name on it
7) electric bill with by husband's name on it - these last 2 were included because I did not have one letter/document/bill with both our names on it. These had the same address for both of us.

So, letters to evidence cohabitation must be 6 documents/bills/letters and can include:
documents showing joint commitments such as bank accounts, investments, rent agreements or mortgages; or
letters linking you to the same address

lunakick

Post by lunakick » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:43 pm

<quote>1. Tenancy Agreement older than 2 years
2. A Letter from NHS that me and my wife stayed at the address
3. Letter from Council that we were registered for the electoral services."</quote>

I would say "no" to 1 definitely since it's beyond two years. You don't actually need letters stating you were at the address. You just need pieces of correspondence addressed to the two of you. Preferably the correspondence is addessed to both of you on the same piece of paper.