ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

unmarried partner visa denied, PLEASE HELP!!!!URGENT!!!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

virus10
Newly Registered

unmarried partner visa denied, PLEASE HELP!!!!URGENT!!!

Post by virus10 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:21 pm

My partners visa was denied in NZ 2 days ago, after him being in NZ for 6 months. It took so long for them to decide and it seems that they knew from the start that they werent going to give it to him,as long as they get their $1400 they dont care,we dont know the reason yet, we are going to appeal.
Can anybody suggest anything to say in the appeal that will help?
Has anybody had a similar expereiince either in NZ or with an unmarried partner visa?
Please help, we are desperate.
Its all the lawyers fault that we went to see before we applied, she said everything would be fine and there would be no problems so go for it! again, as long as they get their money they dont care, they are all a bunch of theives and liars.
Please please help!!!!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:34 pm

Sorry to hear about the refusal but unless and until you are able to post details of the reason(s) for refusal it is difficult to make any suggestion about what you should do next.
John

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:35 pm

You should have had a reasons for refusal letter. What did it say? Why was EC refused?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

virus10
Newly Registered

Post by virus10 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:24 am

He should get it couried tomorrow, well so they say, they have delayed everything else and drawn everything out by making us wait an extra month after his interview, I wouldnt be suprised if they had 'accidentally' lost it, so the 28 days will conveniently pass and we wont be able to appeal.
Is there any way to apply to get the fees back? we have wated $1400 on fees. about £1000 on lawyers bad advice, 6 months of lost wages and much more, all for nothing, a complete waste of time and they knew it from the beginning. How do they sleep at night?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:06 am

I can well understand that you are annoyed but until the reason(s) for rejection is/are known it is impossible to comment about what to do next.

The $1400 application fee is just that. An application fee. It is not a success fee or visa issuance fee.

And rather than criticising your paid adviser I think you need to get the opinion of that person about the rejection.
John

virus10
Newly Registered

Post by virus10 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:22 pm

Yeah I guess, John - you seem to know what you are talking about after reading several of your posts, if you have the time I would like to keep this post going with you, do you work for a law firm or someting similar?
we would like to get some advice from a lawyer.... (who knows what they are talking about this time, she said we would get it 100% 'dont worry', 'no problem' were her exact words, if she had said we didnt have a chance or a slim chance we wouldnt have bothered, its all her fault)....
but we cant afford it because this has drained our money.
So I would appreciate it if you could keep in contact with me, if you dont mind that is.
We should find out the reason tomorrow and I will let you know.
Thanks for you help

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:58 pm

Virus10, just post the reasons for rejection here, so that I and others will be able to comment upon what you should do next.
John

virus10
Newly Registered

Post by virus10 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:57 am

well i have the reason why they declined my visa.
1. we didn't have enough information to show we lived together in a
relationship akin to marrage. (the lawyer said we did)
2. because i lived without being together with trish for so long, and i

traveled 6 times and i didn't tell them the truth, they say i failed to

observe the conditions of the EEA family permit.(the lawyer said his previous relationship was irrelevant and not to worry about it)

Well looks like we are f....d. He isnt going to bother for an appeal, said its not worth it. well Im going to go kill myself now.

ball1333

Post by ball1333 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:10 am

virus10 wrote:. well Im going to go kill myself now.
I hope you don't. There are plenty of reasons not to.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:16 am

they say i failed to observe the conditions of the EEA family permit
Don't understand what that is about. Please explain.
John

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:23 am

I find this thread totally confusing.
Who is the author? Applicant or his UK sponsor?

All I can see is abrupt phrases without any connection whatsoever so it is very difficult to get the true picture.

I hope the author did not kill himself or her sponsor did not kill herself - at the end of the day NZ is a lovely country to live in so if his UK partner goes over there they could spend some time together and sort things out. Undoubtedly, things will fall in place with the time and possibly the author of this topic will explain clearly the reasons for refusal of his visa application.

virus10
Newly Registered

Post by virus10 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:41 pm

He applied for 5 year family visa june 2003.
unexpectedly separated from wife 3 months later.
we started seeing each other about 3 months after that when he realised getting back together with wife was never going to happen because of serious reasons.
I moved into his flat December 2004.
we dont have shared bills like household insurance (havent bothered, nothing worth stealing) Im not on his car insurance because I dont have my drivers license, etc etc. So there wasnt much evidence of us being in a relationship akin to marriage because we dont have joint bills together I guess, so because we didnt do what our parents generation did and live like we are joint at the hip that somehow means we dont love each other as much as a couple with joint bills, apparently.
They said he broke the rules of the EEA family permit because apparently when you separate from your spouse you should inform them so they can deport you (well thats really fair isnt it? I wonder how many people are in threatening blackmailling relationships because of that rule?)
Anyway, the worst thing about this is, he and I both thought (and he rang a legal advisory service in the back of the 'TNT' magazine to ask what his rights were, and they said he is fine to stay in the UK) that he only had to leave if he got divorced, his wife said she wanted a divorce late last year, that is when we started paniking and looked at our options.
So he did the right thing and went back to NZ because his divorce was to be finalised in March this year, because he didnt want to break the rules.
So he did what he thought was the right thing, now hes been punished in the worst possible way.
He said there is no point appealling, I say get advice from a lawyer who knows what they are talking about tihs time and see what they think our chances are of a successful appeal.
He said he is going to apply for a tourists visa instead, so he will be able to come back for a few months to sort stuff out, I dont think they will give him a chance to come back at all after he has been refused, doesnt a refusal mean never being allowed back into the country ever?
Please any advice greatly appreciated, we cant really afford to risk paying for a crappy lawyer again who will only give us bad advice.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:03 pm

Please any advice greatly appreciated
Has his divorce came through now? If so, why don't the two of you get married?
John

virus10
Newly Registered

Post by virus10 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:07 am

Because I think marriage is a load of unecessary old fashioned rubbish, and it would make any difference anyway, the same reasons will exist of why they declined the visa.
After reading the above post, do you think we have a chance of appeal?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Because I think marriage is a load of unecessary old fashioned rubbish, and it would make any difference anyway, the same reasons will exist of why they declined the visa.
That is your choice, no one is going to force you "up the aisle", but like it or not, and I suspect you don't like it, those in a married relationship do have advantages over those in an unmarried relationship, especially as regards the issue of visas.

For a start .... unmarried partners ... need to prove living together for at least two years .... married partners ... no minimum period at all. My own wife had her spouse visa in her passport just 17 days after our legal marriage, and just 12 days after our religious wedding, and no we did not live together before the marriage.

Would marriage make a difference? No guarantee, but much more chance the spouse visa would be granted.
After reading the above post, do you think we have a chance of appeal?
I still think you are not giving us enough detail. For example, you mention the EEA Family Permit. It is be very useful to know if any paragraph numbers of the Immigration Rules were mentioned. Can you post that information? Just wondering the extent that they have "thrown the book at him".
John

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:02 am

virus10 wrote: unexpectedly separated from wife 3 months later.
Unfortunately, this meant that the conditions under which he was admitted to the country were no longer in place and he should have left the country.
This applies to all the immigrants who come here under various categories - they must meet all the conditions for the whole duration of their visas.
For example, if a student drops out of the college, even if he is within the currency of his visa, he is no longer entitled to remain in the UK under that category and must either switch to another or depart from the UK. The same applies to Work Permit holders, as another example.

The Immigration Rules are just as blunt and as straightforward as that. They have no provisions of adjustment to the circumstances of the individuals. If you meet all the criteria - you are through, if one of them is not met - you are out.
So there wasnt much evidence of us being in a relationship akin to marriage because we dont have joint bills together I guess, so because we didnt do what our parents generation did and live like we are joint at the hip that somehow means we dont love each other as much as a couple with joint bills, apparently.
Again, this is just talk. The Rules state that the applicant must provide evidence of cohibition for 2 year period in order to fulfil the criteria. The ECOs cannot care less if you love each other or not (as long as you prove that you intend to live together as partners or if married, as husband and wife), as far as their job is concerned is to check the application against what is written on the paper in their instructions. If you cannot provide the required evidence, even if you are in a loving relationship and all that, as per the caseworkers' guidance, you do not meet the necessary criteria for admission under the relevant visa. That is the full stop and your visa falls to be refused.
At the end of the day, you both do not have to be in the UK to enjoy your relationship and this can be done in New Zealand, which is in fact, to the opinion of many UK citizens, is a lot more attractive country than the UK. If you both want to live in the UK, however, you must make sure all the relevant UK immigration rules in respect of your relationship are met. This should be very simple to understand...
They said he broke the rules of the EEA family permit because apparently when you separate from your spouse you should inform them so they can deport you (well thats really fair isnt it? I wonder how many people are in threatening blackmailling relationships because of that rule?)
If he broke the conditions of the EEA family permit, no matter how it happened (the BIA is not under obligation to take these things into consideration except for domestic violence reasons, which come within the assessment criteria under the relevant paragraphs of the Rules), he must have either obtained another leave to remain or left the country.
So he did what he thought was the right thing, now hes been punished in the worst possible way.
It is not about punishment - you are completely missing the point out here. You should think in terms of the legal requirements and not be consumed by your frustration, which everyone, I am sure, perfectly understands. The ECOs have no personal feelings towards applicants - all they are required to do is to follow the procedure bluntly and strictly. If you fulfil all the criteria - you are through, if you do not meet at least one of them - you are rejected outright. This is just as simple as that.
He said there is no point appealling, I say get advice from a lawyer who knows what they are talking about tihs time and see what they think our chances are of a successful appeal.
My personal advice would be to rely on yourself in such a situation. It is always better to sort things out yourself rather than giving this to someone else's hands. Reading, learning and understanding the requirements, which is all readily available on the Net nowadays, is fairly simple and the best approach, from my experience. Also, when you are knowledgeable enough in this subject, you get more respect from the people you are dealing with especially when you talk to them at their level using their own professional language. I have been let down by two lawyers in the past and decided that I would never use them again - this proved to be the correct avenue.
He said he is going to apply for a tourists visa instead, so he will be able to come back for a few months to sort stuff out, I dont think they will give him a chance to come back at all after he has been refused, doesnt a refusal mean never being allowed back into the country ever?
His visitors visa will fall to be refused because he will never be able to fulfil the returnability criterion, as he already had intentions of settling in the UK with you, for which he already applied for before.
Please any advice greatly appreciated, we cant really afford to risk paying for a crappy lawyer again who will only give us bad advice.
Knowledge is the power. I suggest reading the relevant Rules in the Unmarried partners categories, collect all the evidence required and submit with the new application. If the evidence is not sufficient, go to NZ, get married and then apply for a spouse visa after again, reading the relevant Rules.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:48 pm

we dont have shared bills like household insurance (havent bothered, nothing worth stealing)
...suggests low income/ possible reliance on public funds in future. Not exactly reassuring to an immigration officer.
So there wasnt much evidence of us being in a relationship akin to marriage....
Because you're not! Being in a committed, monogamous relationship was also something your parents' generation did. Why would you ever consider doing something ridiculous like that?! Seriously. There's a good reason why couples don't live like traditional couples, sharing a bank account, having equal rights in everything the other owns etc: it's to make the eventual split-up easier. Whether consciously or sub-consciously. Immigration officers don't need to be psychologists - the stats speak for themselves: married partners are less likely to split than unmarried ones.
I think marriage is a load of unecessary old fashioned rubbish
It is also a legal undertaking by two parties. With the advantages that John pointed out. You want the convenience of being able to make an easy split but also want all the advantages of marriage? That self-centered, myopic thinking is something your good parents will probably never understand.

Suggestion: Bin the emotional and bigoted claptrap. Getting immigration clearance is hard enough without getting on a high horse and demanding you deserve special treatment because your opinion of marriage is more valid that everybody else's! The arrogance! :shock:

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:32 pm

OL7MAX,

I wouldn't really start going into judging this couple and making assumptions about their reasons for not getting married. It is their own business and neither we nor immigration staff have any right to intrude into their private lives. They can choose this either way they wish.

The point is that if they want to remain unmarried partners and stay in the UK, the relevant rules must be met and sufficient evidence provided before the visa is granted.
Alternatively, they are free to marry now and as suggested to them, this would make it easier for her partner to come to live with her in the UK and add stronger grounds to the application.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:00 pm

I agree with you, Jeff. The para about them not wanting to be "naff" like their parents was intended to provide the background to why the law is as it is and why immigration staff find it easier to see marriage as more of a commitment than living together.

I'm on no crusade to convince people to get married. Heck, the CGT advantages of being single are such that I'm trying to convince my wife to give me a temporary divorce so we can both claim PPR relief ;) but I am merely offering that holding a certain position against marriage may be detrimental to an easy resolution to some immigration problems.

virus10
Newly Registered

Post by virus10 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:08 am

To OL7max, go f...k yourself, u are obviously a chauvinist man with a little housewife, probably a christian too. A piece of paper doesnt mean s..t, 2 people can love each other and know that they have found the person they want to be with for the rest of their lives without getting married.
And no we dont have low income and would never take benefits, we have spent a lot of money on lawyers both here and in NZ, and with him being gone 6 months and not earning £s and me paying double rent, it kinda makes things a bit more difficult dont you think?

[Last sentence deleted by Moderator (John)]

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:18 am

Virus, any more postings like that and it will be you that will not be posting on this board anymore!

Differences of opinion are fine ... rudeness will not be tolerated.

I fear you continue to miss the point. No one on this Board wrote the rules but it is clear the rules favour those in a married relationship (or even those in a Civil Partnership relationship). The fact that you and your partner choose not to get yourselves within those provisions is your choice ... but don't then complain about the immigration problems you are having. In a sense they are self-inflicted.
John

virus10
Newly Registered

Post by virus10 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:23 am

To the other HELPFUL people- thankyou for your advice and knowledge, I was talking to my ever-optimistic partner about how you said he probably wont qualify to return to the UK as a visitor because he had been refused, so he phoned BHC in NZ and they said that it will be possible to obtain a single entry visa, the duration is up to the customs person on entry to the UK. They said it will take 2-4 weeks (if at all) because they will have to look into the reasons why he needs to return, because they would obviously have suspicians that he would just stay. So maybe he will have to attend another interview, who knows, if he cant get in then I have the daunting task of selling our stuff, including 2 expensive motorbikes and a car, shipping everything back to NZ and a huge cost, and basically give up my career to return to NZ where there is absolutely no chance of employment there doing what I do.
Thanks for your help, we will just have to wait and see now.

virus10
Newly Registered

Post by virus10 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:37 am

ah john, you deleted my last sentence! I liked that line, because it was a retaliation to his 'suggestion'.
OK, I promise not to lose my temper again, just as long as people like him dont get in my face again

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:35 am

And I don't take kindly to dissing Christians for no reason whatsoever, either :shock:

But a query...can anyone explain why he'd need to apply for a tourist visa?? I thought he was a NZ national? And...any notice on the refusal letter? It's been 3 NZ days now! How does the process work anyway - you get the refusal and then they post the letter to you?

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:24 am

No, once he has already been refused entry once, it is advisable to apply for entry clearance through BHC in advance. He is now most certainly be refused entry if travelling to the UK without a visa.
Chances for obtaining a visit visa, however, are slim, possibly close to nil.