ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English requirement query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vinavs
Newly Registered

English requirement query

Post by vinavs » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi All,

My wife did her masters in English, but did her bachelors in mother tongue. Can she submit her masters for naturalisation? I checked in PBS calcualtor and she got 10 points for her masters degree in English language.

Regards,
Vi

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: English requirement query

Post by Amber » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Yes, a print out of the calculator.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

vedant12
Newly Registered

Post by vedant12 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:10 am

Amber - thank you for clarifying. One follow up question if I may:

To confirm, so long as the PBS grants the points for English language for a certain degree (and we have the PBS calculator printout as proof), we don't need a separate NARIC certificate stating that the qualification was taught in English. Reason I ask is in form AN, it now states:

"I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PHD in the UK and

(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English..."

Thank you.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:34 am

The print-out should suffice.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

guri_78

Post by guri_78 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Amber - Just a quicky

Question 1.22 (English language part) in AN form, what would the best ans when you submit original degree + letter from uni + print out of PBS?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:35 pm

3rd and 4th box of question 1.22.

guri_78

Post by guri_78 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Amber_ wrote:3rd and 4th box of question 1.22.
Sorry Amber, didnt get exactly...can you pls tell from following. I just typed the first few words of each line....

1. Speaking and listening in English B1 CEFR...
2. I have obtained an academic....
i) UK NARIC
ii) the qualification....
3. I am a national of Majority.....
4. I met the knowledge of language and life.....
5. I wish to claim......

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:53 am

i) UK NARIC

guri_78

Post by guri_78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:50 am

Amber_ wrote:2. I have obtained an academic....
i) UK NARIC
Are above the correct ans? Because Qualification is from INdia which is definitely not majority english speaking country. Also, I didnt take any direct confirmation letter from UK NARIC either. Its the PBS from UKBA website.

My Qualification is: B.E (Comp Sci) from India

Submitting Original degree + letter from Uni stating medium instruction was English + print out of PBS.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:33 am

It say the qualification was researched/taught in English OR in a majority English speaking Country, does it not?

guri_78

Post by guri_78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:42 am

It is as follows

UK NARIC has confirmed that qualification was researched/taught in English
OR
in a majority English speaking Country....

PBS does not seem a confirmation from UK NARIC, or does it???

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 am

Yes, it does, for this purpose.

guri_78

Post by guri_78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:46 am

In that case, ans would be as follow only, other part (ii) the qualification....) is not correct then...isnt it?

i) UK NARIC

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:49 am

Both and writing in the extra information page the PBS calculator has confirmed such by awarding 20/30 points for qualification and 10 for English Skills.

guri_78

Post by guri_78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:52 am

If you meant both i) and ii), then I am sorry Amber, I dont get...can you please tell the reason for why ii) is correct...I just make sure before filling it in form.

Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 am

Because it was taught in English :?

guri_78

Post by guri_78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:47 am

thanks Amber for your reply. Let me get a wider view on this.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10 am

guri_78 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am applying for BC filling the AN form and is confused what should the best answer of Q 1.22 regarding KOLL in AN form. I have LIUK which I passed before ILR last year. This is regarding English language part of it.

Submitting Original degree + Letter from Uni stating medium instruction was English + Print out of PBS where it gives me 10 points.

Here are the options. I am typing in the first few words of each option.

1. Speaking and listening in English B1 CEFR......[ ]
2. I have obtained an academic........[ ]
i) UK NARIC has confirmed that qualification was researched/taught in English .... [ ]
ii) the qualification was taught/researched in UK or in a majority English speaking Country.... [ ]
3. I am a national of Majority English speaking Country..... [ ]
4. I met the knowledge of language and life..... [ ]
5. I wish to claim...... [ ]

What would be correct answer??

GoGetit009
Newly Registered

Post by GoGetit009 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:14 am

Hi folks

I searched this forum, but did not see a definitive answer. If I have missed anything then elighten me. I am applying for BC tomorrow and so any quick suggestion will be helpful.

1. PBS Calculator - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator
I understand that if someone gets 10 points in PBS calculator, then that is good enough to satisfy the english requirment. Also once satsifed the above critieria, the following items are not mandatory
- it is not mandatory to get letter from university that the degree was taught in english (good to have but not mandatory)
- no need to get approval from NARIC or sit for any english exam

Please can anyone confirm if clear "YES or NO" if my understanding is correct.

2. In PBS calculator what should I select at the first question "applying for Tier1 or Tier2". Based on this choice further screens are different.

thankyou for your continuous support

guri_78

Re: English requirement query and Q 1.22 in AN form

Post by guri_78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 am

I modified the subject to reflect this.
Amber_ wrote:
guri_78 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am applying for BC filling the AN form and is confused what should the best answer of Q 1.22 regarding KOLL in AN form. I have LIUK which I passed before ILR last year. This is regarding English language part of it.

Submitting Original degree + Letter from Uni stating medium instruction was English + Print out of PBS where it gives me 10 points.

Here are the options. I am typing in the first few words of each option.

1. Speaking and listening in English B1 CEFR......[ ]
2. I have obtained an academic........[ ]
i) UK NARIC has confirmed that qualification was researched/taught in English .... [ ]
ii) the qualification was taught/researched in UK or in a majority English speaking Country.... [ ]
3. I am a national of Majority English speaking Country..... [ ]
4. I met the knowledge of language and life..... [ ]
5. I wish to claim...... [ ]

What would be correct answer??

guri_78

Post by guri_78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:47 am

1. Original Degree + Print out will do. Its upto you if you want to attach the letter. I am attaching it but its optional.
2. Put anything and go to Education tab. Add you degrees and then it will give you 10 points. Take a print out of that page.

What are you select in Q 1.22 in AN form?
GoGetit009 wrote:Hi folks

I searched this forum, but did not see a definitive answer. If I have missed anything then elighten me. I am applying for BC tomorrow and so any quick suggestion will be helpful.

1. PBS Calculator - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator
I understand that if someone gets 10 points in PBS calculator, then that is good enough to satisfy the english requirment. Also once satsifed the above critieria, the following items are not mandatory
- it is not mandatory to get letter from university that the degree was taught in english (good to have but not mandatory)
- no need to get approval from NARIC or sit for any english exam

Please can anyone confirm if clear "YES or NO" if my understanding is correct.

2. In PBS calculator what should I select at the first question "applying for Tier1 or Tier2". Based on this choice further screens are different.

thankyou for your continuous support

vinavs
Newly Registered

Post by vinavs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Thanks all, I got the following reply from KOL Policy team. So, it means masters degree is acceptable for naturalisation:

"
If the degree is recognised by the PBS calculator, and has been awarded 10 points for English language, then regardless of whether this is at Bachelor or Master level, a print of the calculator results will be acceptable evidence for the English language element of the KOLL requirement.

"

guri_78

Post by guri_78 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi vinavs

Can you pls forward me the email? I can PM u my email id?

Alo what will you tick in Q 1.22 now?

vinavs
Newly Registered

Post by vinavs » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:42 am

This is my question:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for you reply. But, section mentions a generic term "degree". So, could you please confirm if the degree could be masters.
I am confused because I have Masters degree which is found in the PBS calculator and I got 10 points for english language. So, I want to confirm if the
masters degree is acceptable for the English language requirement for naturalisation.
"

This is the reply from KOL team

Dear Sir/Madam,

If the degree is recognised by the PBS calculator, and has been awarded 10 points for English language, then regardless of whether this is at Bachelor or Master level, a print of the calculator results will be acceptable evidence for the English language element of the KOLL requirement.

evil_grrrl666

Post by evil_grrrl666 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 pm

I was just reading through the forum because my husband is hoping to apply for citizenship.

Before filling the form I had gone through the calculator with the understanding that if the university is in the list, it's fine, but now we input the specifics of the degree, it returns 0 points!

It's a Bachelor in Business Administration from Panjab University, Chandigarh, India and it was taught in English. He also has an MBA but that's not internationally recognised as a Master's degree I guess, I can't find the institute that issued it in the list at all.

Does this mean that Naric has said bachelor's degrees from this university don't count for English or just that nobody asked them yet?? Is there any hope in applying to Naric for this considering this information? Also, the only things he has is the certificate and I think the mark sheet, getting a letter from the university stating it taught the degree in English would be a bureaucratic nightmare, plus we're not in a position to travel to India to go through all that right now.

Thanks for all your help, because I'm freaking out right now. Before this everything seemed so straightforward...

Laura