ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will expired IELTS satisfy english requirement for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

happy1982

Will expired IELTS satisfy english requirement for ILR

Post by happy1982 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:23 am

Dear members,
I passed IELTS in 2008 and got band 7. Can i used this certificate to meet english requirement (part of KOLL) to apply for IRL?
Regards,
moto

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Re: Will expired IELTS satisfy english requirement for ILR

Post by UKBALoveStory » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 am

happy1982 wrote:Dear members,
I passed IELTS in 2008 and got band 7. Can i used this certificate to meet english requirement (part of KOLL) to apply for IRL?
Regards,
moto
Yes.
I am not an immigration adviser...All IMHO.

Perdesi007

Post by Perdesi007 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:31 am

UKBALoveStory wrote:
Regards,
moto
Yes.

Does it really matter how long ago one passed the IELTS??? One of mt friends passed his IELTS in 2003 in Pakistan before coming to UK, can he still use this certificate to apply ILR on LR basis ?

March_LR14

Post by March_LR14 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:17 pm

Perdesi007 wrote:
UKBALoveStory wrote:
Regards,
moto
Yes.

Does it really matter how long ago one passed the IELTS??? One of mt friends passed his IELTS in 2003 in Pakistan before coming to UK, can he still use this certificate to apply ILR on LR basis ?
Yes he can.

I have passed my IELTS in 2003 and i m going to apply with same IELTS certificate later this month.

M6J44
Newly Registered

Post by M6J44 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi,

I have a similar question.

My wife is set to apply for her ILR in Apr 2014 and has an IELTS Certificate (General Training) passed in Dec 2012 in the Philippines with overall Band score 6.

Is this certificate enough to satisfy the ILR English language requirement or does she need to take something else (such as B1, up to date IELTS or ESOL??)?

She has very good English having lived and worked in UAE for 7 years and her degree was also taught in English.

Please, if you can, furnish your answer with a link to support the case.

Thank you.

S

red scorpion
Newly Registered

Post by red scorpion » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:17 am

Regards,
moto
I think IELTS is valid for 2 years only.see the ink: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -tests.pdf

Although i have IELTS results from 2009 but still i took trinity college GESE Grade 5 exam which is at level B1.Very easy exam.finishes in just 10 minutes.speaking and listening only.i am going to apply for ILR next week.

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:39 pm

hello,

I seen on website
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -tests.pdf

that Academic IELTS is valid for 2years.

Can I use the IELTS which I taken in 2009 and I never submitted to UKBA or I need to appear in fresh IELTS as it is expired??

Kindly guide me.

Thanks
SIDD
Random life is difficult but systematic is much easier!!
SIDD

networkers
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by networkers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:45 pm

ssidd wrote:hello,

I seen on website
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -tests.pdf

that Academic IELTS is valid for 2years.

Can I use the IELTS which I taken in 2009 and I never submitted to UKBA or I need to appear in fresh IELTS as it is expired??

Kindly guide me.

Thanks
SIDD

Expired IELTS are valid for ILR, its only EC when the certificate shouldn't have expired.

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi,

Sorry what is EC?

Thanks
SIDD
SIDD

networkers
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by networkers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:53 pm

ssidd wrote:Hi,

Sorry what is EC?

Thanks
SIDD
Entry Clearance.

smartkhan
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by smartkhan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:58 pm

You can only used the expired IELTS if you used it for your initial grant of entry clearance.

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Hello,

It means I CAN NOT use expired IELTS for ILR???

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
SIDD
SIDD

ssidd

Post by ssidd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Hello,

I got this email which clarify this issue, Mr. Khan your suggestion was not right, Kindly correct it.

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for settlement and citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date.

Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards

Mrs C Richards

Mrs C Richards
Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit
Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.

Thanks
SIDD
SIDD

March_LR14

Post by March_LR14 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:42 pm

ssidd wrote:Hello,

I got this email which clarify this issue, Mr. Khan your suggestion was not right, Kindly correct it.

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the revised knowledge of Language and Life in the UK requirement that came in to force on 28th October 2013.

We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 level or above will be required to take another one.

An IELTS (International English Language Testing System) qualification awarded by Cambridge English (previously known as Cambridge ESOL), which is at a level equivalent to level B1 CEFR or above, is an acceptable qualification for the purposes of demonstrating language ability for settlement and citizenship purposes.

Please note that the 2 year validity attached to these qualifications only applies to entry clearance applications and are therefore still accepted for settlement and citizenship applications after this validity date.

Applicants will also need to show that they have passed the life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.

Regards

Mrs C Richards

Mrs C Richards
Nationality Policy Advisor | Operational Policy & Rules Unit
Immigration & Border Policy | Home Office
Home Office, The Capital, Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9PP.

Thanks
SIDD
Hi,

Expired IELTS are acceptable for Settlement and Citizenship applications.

I have posted my application today for ILR on the basis of long residence and i have submitted my IELTS certificate which i passed in 2003.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

NMck

Post by NMck » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:18 am

Hi all,

Just wondering if the same thing applies for TOEFL English test that will have expired before ILR?

Thank you in advance.

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:52 pm

HI Can I re confirm that I can use my expired IELTS certificate/further I dont have the original but a copy of it.. will that be accepted?

mnaeem126
inactive

Post by mnaeem126 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:23 pm

Expired IELTS can only be used if this was previously used with initial or extension application, if I am not wrong.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:32 pm

The question regarding a lost original IELTS certificate.

It depends on when the IELTS was taken. From a date in 2013 (can't remember exact date top of my head) results were being verified online so a copy of the IELTS may possibly be accepted as verification is done online. Prior to this date the original is required. I would contact the Home Office to confirm.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:00 am

thanks for the reply..just wondering if I had used this IELTS for my original entry..would they still need an original document? The original was kept by UKBA on my first application.

And I had given the test in 2009.

zaynab79
United Kingdom

Post by zaynab79 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:27 am

so which of the below would be marked on the ILR form when we submit life in UK results and expired IELTS origianl certificate:

A speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list (Go to question 4.5 below); OR
• An ESOL qualification at Entry Level 3, Level 1 or Level 2 , that includes speaking and listening which has been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). It must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register and taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland; OR
• A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCFQ) levels 4, 5 or 6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA); OR
An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:
˗˗UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
˗˗the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); OR
▪▪You are a national of a majority English speaking country (as in the list at https://www.gov.uk/english-language)

azorpheunt
United Kingdom

Post by azorpheunt » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:27 pm

As of this writing, the updated official word on the subject is here.
If your qualification expires

Some qualifications on the Home Office’s list will expire after 2 years.

If you’re applying for citizenship and took the test before 6 April 2015, your qualification will still be accepted even after it’s expired.

If you’re applying to settle in the UK, your expired qualification may still be accepted as proof if it was one of the following:
  • previously accepted by the Home Office in connection with another immigration application, eg entry clearance
  • awarded in the UK and is on the Ofqual register
You need to confirm your qualification with either a certificate or by checking that your results can be viewed online.