ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI help!

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Welshindianguy
Newly Registered

OCI help!

Post by Welshindianguy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi guys! i'm trying to apply for an OCI Card for my myself, my mum and my brother.... i understand that you can apply for all at the same time when applying for my mum's OCI. (she has surrendered her passport and got the certificate) from what i've searched on this forum i need the following...
1. Full Birth certificate
2. Parents British Passports
3. Marriage certificate
4. Parents Indian Passport surrender certificates
5. Parents OCI registration booklets

but my problem is... i'm 26 and my brother is 30, can we still apply at the same time with my mum? (as it only says 'minors' do i apply for my mums OCI only then apply for me and my brother after she has her OCI card?)

What other documents would i need to apply? (as my mum has re-married and has a different surname to me and my brother)

Do i need to send my passport with the OCI application? (if not will i still be able to get visa and travel to india?)

any help would be much appreciated Thanks!

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: OCI help!

Post by samkma » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:34 pm

OCI Criteria :
A foreign national, who

was eligible to become a citizen of India on 26.01.1950, or
was a citizen of India on or at any time after 26.01.1950, or
belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947

and his / her children and grandchildren, are eligible for registration as Overseas Citizens of India (OCI), provided his / her country of citizenship allows dual citizenship in some form or other under the local laws.

So you can apply.

OCI being an Internet-based process. All applicants have to apply by online registration through Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India website https://passport.gov.in/oci

Important steps:

Once you fill up Part-A online, Save, and give Print command. Part-A with online registration number (GBRLN) will be printed along with Part-B.
For each family application Part-B is common to all applicants of the family up to a maximum of four. Separate applications are required for any other additional members.
“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho

Welshindianguy
Newly Registered

Post by Welshindianguy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks for your reply Samkma. The info is really helpful! But, as for documents will there be a problem as my mothers surname is different to me and my brother?

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:13 pm

I suggest apply online and try to apply in person, take with you your mother's previous and current marraige certificates, did your mother have her cancelled Indian passport with new surname or previous name that mathces to yours?
“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho

Welshindianguy
Newly Registered

Post by Welshindianguy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 pm

to apply in person is a bit of a problem... as we live in wales and have a family run business. so, for 3 people to travel to London is a bit of a pain and to get there mega early just to be in queue would mean for us to leave at 3-4am! lol! but i will try and apply and hope for the best. my mother had her surrender certificate with her new surname. is there a UK contact number for assistance? i've emailed them about my issue and it doesn't even answer my query! haha!