ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMPs in the UK: What is your Pay level?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Got your HSMP? In the UK? What is your pay level?

16,000 - 20,000
5%
20,000 - 26,000
11%
26,000 - 32,000
16%
32,000 - 40,000
No votes
40,000+
63%
Unemployed - I just got here!
No votes
Unemployed - under 3 months
5%
Unemployed - more than 3 months
No votes

Total votes: 19

LankanFunkin

HSMPs in the UK: What is your Pay level?

Post by LankanFunkin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:05 am

Reading a couple of other posts (like this), I get the feeling that some of us in the UK on the HSMP visa really aren't making some decent funds, or getting decent jobs. This is pretty baffling, given that if we are to qualify, we do need to have some pretty strong credentials (on paper anyway). So just to understand this further, please help us all out.

Those who have gotten their HSMP, and are in the UK, please fill in.

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:59 am

Bump for more responses!

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:18 am

wow 7 people till now on £40+ yet they don't qualify for FLR???

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:11 pm

I know.... It does seem odd. I'm hoping this poll will get more votes (though traffic doesnt seem to be a problem!!!) - maybe that might help gauge the spread.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:28 pm

LankanFunkin

I think to get more accurate result, you need to differentiate between:
- Permanent Jobs
- Contract Jobs

Example:
Some people get contracr jobs which pay £30-45 Hours whihc is around £60,000.00 pro rata basis. But this job is unstable as you might out of job within 1 month.
Also people working on contract migh work over 40 hours.

But when thy are transfered to permanent, they only get basic annual salary of £35,000.00-40,000.00

Also
- Job in London
- Outside London

Pantaiema

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:38 pm

pantaiema wrote:I think to get more accurate result, you need to differentiate between...
Agreed. Perhaps we can build on this in the future - I'm sure many would agree that its very valuable info!

But for the short term, I wanted to get an idea as to what people would put if they were forced to apply for FLR or ILR today. Hope you voted :-)

PounceQuick

Post by PounceQuick » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:19 pm

olisun wrote:wow 7 people till now on £40+ yet they don't qualify for FLR???
What make you think the poll respondents do not qualify for FLR?

karupalli

purpose?

Post by karupalli » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:25 pm

What is the purpose of this poll?

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:11 pm

I also really wonder. If majority of people earn over £40+

why in the news it is indicated that over 80 %-90%(?) wil not qualify For extension ????.

Any explanation of this discrepancy ???.

I think it is important to differentiate between contract and permanent job because if it is contract and pro rata basis it might not be relevent for extension because:

- If your previous grant of leave to enter/remain under HSMP was for a period of more than 12 months. You could only claim points for previous earnings from your work over a period of 12 months out of the 15 month period directly preceding the date of your application.

- If your previous grant of leave to enter/remain under HSMP was for a period of 12 months or less: You could claim points for previous earnings from your work over a period of 8 months out of the 12 month period directly preceding the date of your application.

For contract employer bases on pro rata might not be relevent becuase the possibility that U will be out of job prior of your extension is very hihg.

Pantaiema

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:25 pm

pantaiema wrote:I also really wonder. If majority of people earn over £40+ why in the news it is indicated that over 80 %-90%(?) wil not qualify For extension ????.

Could anybody please explain this discrepancy ???.
Yes I can. You are not going to get a true sample with a questionaire like this. Those who are not doing well, are less likely to take part.

Why? A number of reasons. Embarrasement. Confidentiallity concerns. And most important, the poll does nothing for them.

You could easily argue that people will also lie about their income on a poll like this.

Simply put, the results of this poll say nothing, because they are not a true sample of the group.

That said, it would be really good to see how people are actually doing financially in the programme.

This was a good effort LankenLog.

LondonBlonde

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:28 pm

pantaiema wrote:I also really wonder. If majority of people earn over £40+

why in the news it is indicated that over 80 %-90%(?) wil not qualify For extension ????.
I have a suggestion, and please bear in mind it is purely speculation, and in no way meant to insult/patronize/commend/condone anyone...

Bear with me: Anyone on the old HSMP currently making 45+ AND has a Bachelors should not have a problem qualifying, as salary (40) + bachelors (30) + UK work experience (5) = 75. So no problems here. But for those under (who entered under a system that gave prominence to work experience but not earning potential), they need to find alternatives to make up the gap in the points, such as finding a new job. So maybe these individuals are just too busy to browse around the forum? If I was in those shoes, I would be too!

Note: I've made the assumption that people with higher work experience either spent less time in University (so predominantly Bachelors level, vs say PhD), OR are older (as they have more higher-ed, and spent a good deal of time on the job). Result = they may be lacking with the new HSMP criteria, which focuses more on education and age, and not work experience!

Just a thought... make sense?

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:24 pm

LankanFunkin wrote: Note: I've made the assumption that people with higher work experience either spent less time in University (so predominantly Bachelors level, vs say PhD), OR are older (as they have more higher-ed, and spent a good deal of time on the job). Result = they may be lacking with the new HSMP criteria, which focuses more on education and age, and not work experience!

Just a thought... make sense?
Well, at least you are trying to work it out.

Still, you are making assumptions based on your own experience.

A very young PHD could easily have problems with FLR even though you haven't.

It could be that English is not his first language, and it's possible that medical people are having trouble getting interviews without ILR these days. Look into if you have the time. It's all over the news.

The guy who won the tribunal case earlier this year was a doc.

LondonBlonde

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:33 pm

LankanFunkin wrote:Note: I've made the assumption that people with higher work experience either spent less time in University (so predominantly Bachelors level, vs say PhD), OR are older (as they have more higher-ed, and spent a good deal of time on the job). Result = they may be lacking with the new HSMP criteria, which focuses more on education and age, and not work experience!
Yes, that would be a good assumption.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

LankanFunkin

Post by LankanFunkin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:32 pm

LondonBlonde wrote: You could easily argue that people will also lie about their income on a poll like this.
Well now thats a shame... Bad HSMP liars... Hey waitaminute...

:P

PounceQuick

Post by PounceQuick » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:55 am

No I genuinely believe that the silent majority of HSMP holders earn more than £40,000 despite what people say. People who are affected by the rule, no doubt will complain and these forums are one of the media for them.

Beside why would you lie in this type of poll? It's anonymous.

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:49 am

Only 17 people (so far) have voted on the board out of a total HSMP population of 40-50K. Hardly a reresentative sample to draw a conclusion on the entire HSMP population