ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do i actually need a divorce certificate for my ex-wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Do i actually need a divorce certificate for my ex-wife

Post by Casa » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Correct.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

abdulraheem123

Post by abdulraheem123 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:45 pm

MPH80 wrote:This will help:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

That's the UKBA guidance on polygamous marriage.

Section 3 clearly shows that your second marriage isn't valid as you were domiciled in the UK.

Section 6 shows that your second wife will be refused until you're completely divorced because your first wife was grant entry clearance (even though she never used it).

Oh - and this is the guidance where it rules out the use of the informal divorce: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
in section 6 it says

"Instances are sometimes encountered of bare talaqs in Kashmir purporting to have
been converted into full talaqs by notification to the Union Council. However, the Muslim
Family Laws Ordinance does not apply in Kashmir and therefore such notification has
no effect and the divorce is still a bare talaq.

It should be noted that it is possible to obtain a dissolution of marriage in either a Family
Court or the High Court in Azad Kashmir. Such divorce decrees are "proceedings" and
should be considered under section 46(1) of the Family Law Act 1986."

as i am going to kashmir i dont seem to understand what the ukba are trying to say here?

i dont know if anyone can understand what there trying to say here?

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:51 pm

Another way you can go about this,is to denounce your British citizenship and then do it the way you wanna do it,I know foreigners who have more than one wife in uk :wink:

abdulraheem123

Post by abdulraheem123 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 am

Rayking wrote:Another way you can go about this,is to denounce your British citizenship and then do it the way you wanna do it,I know foreigners who have more than one wife in uk :wink:
Do foreigners bring more than 1 wife over to the uk?
Last edited by abdulraheem123 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

abdulraheem123

Post by abdulraheem123 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:09 am

Removed
Last edited by abdulraheem123 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:32 am

Stop using the word foreigner in a derogatory manner. More than one wife is in no way legally accepted in the UK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:01 am

I haven't used that in a derogatory manner,I am a foreigner and most of us were.
My point is,if someone has got more than one wife and he's not British,they will recognize one of the wives,one doesn't have to divorce any of the wives for UK law.
But I'm sorry if anyone is offended by the word I used.

dufie
Newly Registered

Post by dufie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:56 pm

MY UNMARRIED PARTNER AND I APPLYING FOR AN EEA2 RC. I WAS MARRIED ONCE AND DIVORCED, SHOULD WE INCLUDE THE decree absolute IN OUR APPLICATION AND SHOULD I INFORM THE HO THE MY PREVIOUS MARRIAGE ENDED? . I AM FRENCH. NEED ADVICE ON THIS

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:26 pm

You must include the divorce decree in the application documents
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

dufie
Newly Registered

Post by dufie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Thanks. do i need to inform the HO about my previous partner before the application?

suvalike
Member of Standing

Post by suvalike » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Please can someone tell what should someone do in the below situation:

You was married in Pakistan.You wife has been here on the Dependent visa here in uk for one and half year.
No she is back home.You are going to have second wife.But you do not want to divorce the first one.

How can he bring her new second wife in uk as spouse.The husband is British national.

Thanks

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:26 pm

suvalike wrote:Please can someone tell what should someone do in the below situation:

You was married in Pakistan.You wife has been here on the Dependent visa here in uk for one and half year.
No she is back home.You are going to have second wife.But you do not want to divorce the first one.

How can he bring her new second wife in uk as spouse.The husband is British national.

Thanks
Short answer, you cannot

The husband must first divorce his first wife, no ways around it, UK Law does not allow more than one spouse.

However, there is another option if he doesn't wish to divorce his first wife, that is to move to Pakistan to live with his second wife.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided