ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for my newborn

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rohin123
Newly Registered

British passport for my newborn

Post by rohin123 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:10 am

Hi,

I am on a Tier 1 visa and eligible for ILR from end April 2014. My baby is going to be born in end March 2014. Assuming I get my ILR in early May 2014, can I apply for a British Passport for my baby ? My wife is still on Tier 1 and her ILR becomes due much later in June 2014.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British passport for my newborn

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:47 am

register on form MN1 and once you receive certificate apply for passport. assuming baby will be born in UK so registration will be under section1(3) once you have ILR
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rohin123
Newly Registered

Post by rohin123 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks. How long does it typically take to get the certificate ? And once I get the certificate and apply for passport, how long does it take to get the passport ? Is there a premium service to expedite the process as we have plans to travel afterwards.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Unfortunately there is no Premium service for citizenship applications.

MN1 can take anywhere between 3 weeks and 6 months (although 6 months is rare) and you will receive the certificate in the post. I received my daughters registration certificate about 5 weeks after applying through NCS.

Passport for children can be done using the fast track service and will take a few days (usually 3-5 days).

It is a pity the baby will be born before you are granted ILR. If baby is born after your ILR, you could apply directly for passport as baby will be British by birth.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.