ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Evidence of council tax payment for ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

boonworkpermit
Newly Registered

Evidence of council tax payment for ILR

Post by boonworkpermit » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:34 pm

Hi. I'm currently in the UK on a WP visa and would like to apply for ILR in the future.
My question is when I apply for ILR, do I need to produce any evidence of council tax payment? and do they need this evidence for the whole period of 5 years??

My problem is that I have been renting a room in a flat since I first come to the UK several years ago and pay GBP 250/month to the owner who also lives in the same flat.

To my ignorance and stupidity, we never sign any contract (which I will ask my landlord to do it now) and I never bother paying any council tax, since the rent is inclusive of everything. I talked to my landlord today about the council tax and he actually has been telling the council that he's the only one living in the flat to get the reduction. We are not sure how to resolve this... I prefer him to notify the council now and I don't mind paying back for the money that is owed to the council, but the landlord is afraid of other punishment...Does anyone know what other punishments might be? and what do you think we should do? I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks everone in advance.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:46 pm

You don't have to show council tax payment to get ILR
You just have to show you lived here. With bills or P60.

boonworkpermit
Newly Registered

Post by boonworkpermit » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:58 pm

SYH wrote:You don't have to show council tax payment to get ILR
You just have to show you lived here. With bills or P60.
SYH, Thank you very much for a quick reply. I don't really have any bills other than a mobile phone bill....as all bills on the flat are in the landlord's name.

Has anyone else successfully got his ILR showing them just the P60's?
I wonder if bank statements would count as proof of residency????

Thanks again..

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:09 pm

Anyway P60's would be typical evidence for a WP application leading to ILR
Last edited by SYH on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:24 pm

To answer your first question and re-iterate SYH's answer: plenty of people don't pay council tax in their own name - either the landlord pays and it's included in the rent (as yours is, or as you were led to believe it was) or else it's paid by the "senior" tenant, who may (or may not) make private arrangements with the other tenants.

So the fact that you haven't paid council tax is not unusual and it's not asked for anyway.

boonworkpermit
Newly Registered

Post by boonworkpermit » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:41 pm

Christophe wrote:To answer your first question and re-iterate SYH's answer: plenty of people don't pay council tax in their own name - either the landlord pays and it's included in the rent (as yours is, or as you were led to believe it was) or else it's paid by the "senior" tenant, who may (or may not) make private arrangements with the other tenants.

So the fact that you haven't paid council tax is not unusual and it's not asked for anyway.
Hi Christophe. Many thanks for the clarification!!

SYH: I'm not sure what your question is about. I'm currently holding a workpermit and but plan to switch to HSMP soon. Does it make any difference in terms of council tax and proof of residency if I apply for ILR as an HSMP holder?

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:43 pm

OK good luck, there is no harm to change to hsmp leading toilr