ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP Statistics-Make a Sticky

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SYH
BANNED

HSMP Statistics-Make a Sticky

Post by SYH » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:06 pm

This one is dodgy because it mixes HSMP with work permit
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/f ... iew=Binary
Approval in the last year
2004-6/2005

Just added a link to the latest guidance for hsmp applications (initial)
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/1 ... ?version=1
Last edited by SYH on Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LondonBlonde

Post by LondonBlonde » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Thanks SYH,

Most applications are still being rejected, although the stats vary from country to country.

New Zealand has the best record I think. Have a look at Nigeria...

LondonBlonde

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:31 pm

SYH - thanks for the citations ! The relatively small numbers from the US rather surprised me.
Is it only at someone's request that current (06-07) stats would then be posted at that site ? I would have thought that the stats would be posted as a matter of course, but that doesn't appear to be the case, alas.
AG

apeterso925

Post by apeterso925 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:47 pm

I heard that American applications were very much in the minority, but these numbers are even smaller than I expected.

Case in point, over the course of my application, I've found that most of my American friends are surprised at the HSMP's existence, the first question is always "how did you get an employer to sponsor you?" And then it takes several explanations to get them to understand that I don't need sponsorship. So I'm sure a big factor is just that not many people know they have this option, because the US doesn't offer an equivalent (or if we do, I'm not aware of it).

SYH - thanks for posting this! It's interesting to see the numbers.
gordon wrote:SYH - thanks for the citations ! The relatively small numbers from the US rather surprised me.
Is it only at someone's request that current (06-07) stats would then be posted at that site ? I would have thought that the stats would be posted as a matter of course, but that doesn't appear to be the case, alas.
AG

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:56 am

I find it interesting the proportion of women compared to men who are applying under HSMP.

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:37 pm

SYH wrote:I find it interesting the proportion of women compared to men who are applying under HSMP.
You'd have to check earning statistics country by country, but I think you'll find many women do not earn as much as men (And so cannot qualify for HSMP).
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:44 pm

EdgeHillMole wrote:
SYH wrote:I find it interesting the proportion of women compared to men who are applying under HSMP.
You'd have to check earning statistics country by country, but I think you'll find many women do not earn as much as men (And so cannot qualify for HSMP).
I think it is a bit more complex than that as it has been documented that women earn 2/3rds of what men earn for the same job, systemic discrimination.

In any case, as the hsmp applications are weighted it isn't solely dependent on salary as education and experience slightly improves the imbalance even though in those areas women have been disadvantaged too

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:52 pm

SYH wrote:In any case, as the hsmp applications are weighted it isn't solely dependent on salary as education and experience slightly improves the imbalance even though in those areas women have been disadvantaged too
Now HSMP is no longer weighted on experience, women are being evaluated on salary (2/3rds of men's) + education + age. So if women did gain any improvement in score based on experience, it is now gone under the new HSMP rules.
PROUD to be part of the 2008 European Capital of Culture

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:56 pm

EdgeHillMole wrote:
SYH wrote:In any case, as the hsmp applications are weighted it isn't solely dependent on salary as education and experience slightly improves the imbalance even though in those areas women have been disadvantaged too
Now HSMP is no longer weighted on experience, women are being evaluated on salary (2/3rds of men's) + education + age. So if women did gain any improvement in score based on experience, it is now gone under the new HSMP rules.
Exactly, but the statistics are based on the former system.

ball1333

Post by ball1333 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:42 pm

EdgeHillMole wrote:but I think you'll find many women do not earn as much as men (And so cannot qualify for HSMP).
And in many of the countries represented in the data, women are expected to stay close to home to care for their aging parents, or to get married and have children relatively young. Women may also be discouraged from obtaining a university degree because their parents may believe that only men need to be highly educated. All those factors can severely limit women's economic and geographic mobility.