ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

KOLL Requirement post Oct, 2013: NARIC Certified Letter(s)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bondovine
Newly Registered

KOLL Requirement post Oct, 2013: NARIC Certified Letter(s)

Post by bondovine » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:15 pm

I am due to apply for citizenship and going through various online sources for meeting new KOLL requirements.
I have read and re-read 'Supporting Documents' requested on Form AN.

Section 2:
1. Letter confirming success in Life in the UK test.
This is pretty straightforward.
2. Certificate showing that you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meeting the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree of PhD in the UK and UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English.

I have done my Bachelor's in Karnataka, India. The university(VTU) is recognised by NARIC. I have got a letter from the university certifying that the medium of education was English during the course of degree, on the university's letter head.

However when reading the guidelines under Supporting Documents section, I comprehend that the document needs to be from UK NARIC certifying both the Bachelor's Degree and that the medium of study was in English.

Reason for my understanding, if you get online on UK Naric website, they provide letters specifically for aforementioned requirements. Each letter (one for certifying the Bachelor's degree and one for Level of English) costs 55£.

This is my understanding. I did call up UK Naric and speak to an advisor who guided me to check with UKBA. However UKBA has listed just an email address to write to for such queries.

Anyone here who could shed more light and help clarify would be appreciated.
Has there been anyone who has had success with Citizenship application with these documents.

Many Thanks
Vinay Kumar
Last edited by bondovine on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsbos

Re: KOLL Requirement post Oct, 2013: NARIC Certified Letter(

Post by dsbos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi Vinya,

I am more or less on the same boat. This is frustrating that you have to prove "your English" after 15 years working in this country. Whatever it is... it looks like someone after more money.

Anyways...

My situation is; when I first got HSMP I have proved the requirement with a letter from my University, which was accepted at the time (2007). Then time came for the extension in 2009 and then the Settlement in 2012. In both cases the application forms clearly had a statement to tick "Not required to prove English language skills as proved as part of previous application", in that case either HSMP or Tier 1 transition.

By looking at the new application form for Naturalization (Form AN), there is no such statement to tick, instead asking for this new certificate. Which is rubbish that you have to do this at the last stage or after living decades in this country.

As you say, there is no phone number to UKBA (typical) to talk on this and get advise. However, there is an email address to write.

Have you tried contacting the UKBA on this matter via email? I am going to write them soon and see what they have to say about this?

I will post my findings when I got a reply. I suggest you also (and people alike) write to the UKBA to remove this unnecessary check (unless they accept the same letter they accepted earlier) for good from people like us.

I appreciate this check must be done for certain categories, but not for someone who worked for decades in this country in Managerial positions.

Good luck !

bondovine
Newly Registered

Post by bondovine » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:38 pm

My Mrs found the below on this forum which addresses my concerns. This has a response back from Home Office

Post: http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... ip#p964319

dsbos

Post by dsbos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks very much... you are a star bondovine.

Best wishes to your wife.

ominagpal
Newly Registered

Post by ominagpal » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:36 pm

I had sent then a query regarding the same and the reply is as follows....

Thank you for your email.

1)
Current KoLL (Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK) requirements are given at the following link-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hip/kol-uk

From this link the following information is provided concerning degrees taught in English-

{Those who have obtained a degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. Those with an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) who provide appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK. However, they will still be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate their knowledge of life in the UK.}

Currently there is no points based calculator for applications of naturalisation and the guidance requests appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught in English and confirmation that UK NARIC deems the qualification to meet the required standard.

You may wish to use the points based calculator in lieu of a statement of equivalence for proving the qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the required standard for the language requirement of nationality applications mentioned in this guidance. However, evidence to support your application will then be considered at the discretion of a caseworker, if they are not satisfied they may request further evidence. This could delay your application.

The following information from the given link may also be of use to you-

{If you already have a qualification at B1 level
Applicants who already have an English language qualification at B1 level or above will not be required to take another one. For example, someone who demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level when applying for entry clearance will not be required to take a further test in order to qualify settlement.

If you were granted settlement under the old rules
When an application for naturalisation is made you will need to satisfy the current KOLL requirement. For some people this will mean passing a relevant speaking and listening qualification for the first time. Others will need to pass a speaking and listening qualification at a higher level than they had to demonstrate for settlement. However, if you have already passed the Life in the UK test you will not need to take this again.}

2)
You should tick the boxes that relate to your qualification and how you validated it. If you are unsure or think more than one box applies you may wish to include a covering letter explaining your situation for the case working teams.

Kind Regards,