ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question regarding "residential qualifying period"

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DBAforever
Newly Registered
India

Question regarding "residential qualifying period"

Post by DBAforever » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:19 am

Hi all,

Though I have read the FAQs before posting my question... But I think this one is still bit tricky

Regarding residential qualifying period - This is what UKBA says, which is quite plain and simple "The residential qualifying period is calculated from the day when we receive your application. Most unsuccessful applications fail because the applicant was not present in the UK at the beginning of the residential qualifying period. You must make sure you meet this requirement before you make your application. For example, if we receive your application on 25 March 2010, you must show that you were in the UK on 26 March 2005."

However, my friend has confused me by saying "The residential period start from the day you first arrived in the UK (after getting your EC)" - If this is the case then I will be completing 6 years...

I would like to keep this simple by giving my timeline which might help you in answering my question,

26th Feb 2008 - Landed in the UK for the first time on HSMP
Dec 2009 - Renewed and received Tier-1
14th Dec 2012 - Received my ILR

The question is, can I apply for my naturalization now ? Or do I have to wait until 26th Feb 2014 ?

Thank you all in advance.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Question regarding "residential qualifying period"

Post by Jambo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:31 am

As it is the HO that handles with the application and not your friend, it is advisable to trust what they say.

The residential requirement is 5 years. There is no 5+1 it's 5 including 1 (although for many 1 year after ILR would be almost 6 years).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

DBAforever
Newly Registered
India

Post by DBAforever » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:53 am

Hey Jambo,

Ah! never knew that HO deals with the applications :P , thanks for your reply anyways!

My question still remains unanswered... However, I think I am eligible for naturalization now

Thanks again!

tundefaboye
Newly Registered

Post by tundefaboye » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi DBForever,

You were qualified for Naturalisation since 15th Dec 2013. Go ahead and apply.

Thanks.