ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application - new obstacles

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

i_worker
Newly Registered

British passport application - new obstacles

Post by i_worker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:55 am

Hi,

Just want to share some experience with regards applying for British passport.
My wife has recently applied for a British passport.
A week after application was submitted we received a letter from UK Passport service asking for letters of 3 Years history and residence.
Those have to be from your employer, landlord, accountant, bank, dentist (not GP!) where they have to confirm that they have dealt with the applicant and in what capacity. They also have to list all applicant's addresses known to them.

Is it a newly introduced practice?
Have anyone else experienced the same recently?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:02 pm

Did they give a reason why this information was necessary? Is it her first passport application? I applied in May at the passport office. When I booked the appointment all they asked for was: proof of citizenship, and two proofs of address. When I had the appointment they didn't even want to see the proof of address.

SK1

Post by SK1 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:16 pm

I read somewhere that another poster applied recently as well, and they weren't called for an interview nor were asked any of that. They got their passports within 2 weeks.

I applied a week ago (first time applicant) and haven't heard or had a letter through the post yet. This is the first time I've heard about something like that happening.

SK1

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:19 pm

Those have to be from your employer, landlord, accountant, bank, dentist (not GP!) where they have to confirm that they have dealt with the applicant and in what capacity. They also have to list all applicant's addresses known to them.
And what if you don't have an employer (because you're self-employed), landlord (because you own your own property), accountant (because you do your own accounts), bank (because you keep your money under the matress) or dentist (because you never go to one)?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:21 pm

Dawie wrote:
And what if you don't have an employer (because you're self-employed), landlord (because you own your own property), accountant (because you do your own accounts), bank (because you keep your money under the matress) or dentist (because you never go to one)?
I guess most people applying for citizenship would have a bank account, but you're quite right: many would not have an employer, landlord or accountant, and some would certainly not have a dentist to call their own!

SK1

Post by SK1 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:37 pm

Marco 72 wrote:Did they give a reason why this information was necessary? Is it her first passport application? I applied in May at the passport office. When I booked the appointment all they asked for was: proof of citizenship, and two proofs of address. When I had the appointment they didn't even want to see the proof of address.
I am getting spooked now. I sure don't have a dentist or an accountant and have also applied very recently for my passport. I wonder why this request has been made and will it become the norm? :(

SK1

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:47 pm

SK1 the Home Office has already said they're going to be tightening up the issue process for first passports, although not much detail has emerged on exactly how. Theres a thread around somewhere which has the BBC link to the story.

I would certainly think this will become the norm, or at least something very similar to it.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten