ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization- 3years of spent drink driving conviction

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

johnj1

Naturalization- 3years of spent drink driving conviction

Post by johnj1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Hello Gurus,
I was going through this forum and just realized that there has been changes to requirements for naturalization. Here is my story.
I was convicted for drink driving in January 4th 2010 for 17 months with 480 pounds court fine. I attended drink driving rehabilitation course which reduced my conviction to 12 months and paid the court fine. In short, I finished my driving ban in Jan 4th 2011 since then I only had one FPN in June 2013 which was paid.
Is it possible for me to apply now for naturalization as British Citizen because I read it that new laws says one can apply after three years, but the conviction must be declared.
Thank you in advance

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Your understanding seems correct, see also, British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs (click).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

johnj1

Post by johnj1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Infact I was praying quietly that D4109125 should reply my post, thank you very much, may God bless you.
Another question is that of English Language requirement, will UKBA accept Msc degree certificate issued by UK university with transcript as evidence of meeting the requirement? I have passed Life in Uk since 2007, hope these two evidences will be accepted.
Thank you all

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:13 am

You should be ok for KoLL too.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

skilachi

Re: Naturalization- 3years of spent drink driving conviction

Post by skilachi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi JohnJ,

Did you manage to apply for your BC in the end? Quite interested on how your application went as I'm kinda in the same situation.

DR10 conviction was 10/08/2012
Ban for 20months with fine of around £450 (fully paid) and offered to go on course and ban was reduced to 15months, which ended Nov 2013 last year, so back driving now and NEVER AGAIN drink/drive!

I haven't got any other convictions or FPN or points endorsed on my license.....just this one DR10 and hoping come 2015, i will be able to apply for BC which I shud have gotten in feb 2013 if not for my DR10.

Quick question, when does the actual 3years period apply, is it from date of conviction (Aug 2012) or date when ban actually ends (Nov 2013)?

So earliest I can apply will be Aug 2015, right?

johnj1

Post by johnj1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi,
As stated in my post, my driving ban started from the day I was convicted in court. So in your case, I think it will start from on the date that the court convicted you, which it is written on the paper part on your driver's license.
I did apply for Naturalization, still awaiting their decision, I will keep you posted about the decision.

skilachi

Post by skilachi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi,

Thanks for ur reply, I know the driving ban starts from the day you got convicted but that wasn't the question.

Was asking if the 3yrs period as per new home office rules you had to wait before apply for naturalisation. Did you start counting from the date of conviction or date your ban ended?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Conviction.

dave4imm
Newly Registered

Post by dave4imm » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:08 pm

johnj1 wrote:Hi,
As stated in my post, my driving ban started from the day I was convicted in court. So in your case, I think it will start from on the date that the court convicted you, which it is written on the paper part on your driver's license.
I did apply for Naturalization, still awaiting their decision, I will keep you posted about the decision.
Congrats John, your case gives hope to other similar people, all the best Skillachi.. :)

Staind
Newly Registered

Post by Staind » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi,

Quite interested in this post as my boyfriend had the same situation 3 years back. He will be completing 3 years from conviction day next month so wanted to know if is ok to apply for naturalization? Was your application successful when u applied after 3 years?

Any guidance would be helpful as someone told my boyfriend he needs to wait for 5 years after drink/drive offence.

Thanks in advance.