ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR for UK born baby

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ranjeet1979

ILR for UK born baby

Post by ranjeet1979 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:30 pm

Dear members
I am going for my ILR in coming days with my wife and 4 months old baby(born in UK). I have made Indian passport for my baby. Someone was suggesting me not go for ILR for baby as once we will get ILR, baby will be entitled for British citizenship.

I want to understand what special benefit my baby will get if he will take British citizenship here in UK. I thought that ILR will be sufficient for him to pursue his studies in coming years. Kindly guide me.

Regards
Ranjeet

vinny

Re: ILR for UK born baby

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:50 pm

It's your choice.

ILR holders are subject to the returning residents provisions.

Indian citizenship may be lost when British citizenship is registered.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ranjeet1979

Post by ranjeet1979 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:07 am

I am familiar with 2 years clause associated with ILR. Also I know that once he will take British citizenship, he will lose his Indian citizenship.

My intention was to understand the fundamental difference between a baby with ILR vs a baby with British citizenship inside UK.

Is there any significant benefit my baby is going to loose due to ILR status in UK ? I was under impression that he will be able to pursue his studies like other British citizen without any discrimination(fee structure in school/college) .

Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:12 am

ILR should be sufficient to pursue his studies in the UK like other British citizen without any discrimination(fee structure in school/college). It may be easier for British citizens to pursue studies in other European countries.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ranjeet1979

Post by ranjeet1979 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:33 am

Thanks for confirming it.

Anyway, British citizenship option will always be there after taking ILR.

If he will have to pursue higher studies from other European countries then he will apply for British citizenship at that time ....