ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Knowledge of Language

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

salman83

Knowledge of Language

Post by salman83 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi,
My wife is going to apply for naturalization in 2 months time.

Her masters degree is recognized in PBS calculator as 30 points but the PBS calculator does not recognize the degree as taught in English.

Does NARIC certificate will be enough or she have to do the english test. If she have to do the english test, what test will it be.

Are there any options beside test.

Regards.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Knowledge of Language

Post by Amber » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:46 pm

A UKNARIC statement of comparability and proof it was taught in English should suffice B1 in addition to LIUK.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

salman83

Post by salman83 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:09 am

How do I proof that the degree was taught is English.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:13 am

As Amber states, your wife would need a UKNARIC statement of comparability which states the degree was taught in English. Unfortunately for your wife, they don't assess Masters degrees. http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/C ... sment.aspx

It sounds like she'll have to do an English language test. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:54 am

If she has a masters I assume she has a bachelors?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

salman83

Post by salman83 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:48 am

She had done her two year bachelors degree then afterwards two years masters.

Since the degree is recognized by PBS calculator but it is not giving English language points against the qualification, can she provide a letter from her university which states that the course is taught in English.

Thanks for the help.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:40 am

A letter from the university isn't sufficient. You need a UK NARIC confirmation. (See page 15 http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... let_an.pdf)

So if the bachelors was taught in English, obtain a letter from the university to that effect and submit that along with your application to NARIC.

Brockadisiac
Newly Registered

Post by Brockadisiac » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:24 pm

I have been in the UK since I was 17 and now I am 29. I sent a copy of my university letter from de montfort university stating that I studied a honours we free and also I sent a result notification letter. I did this because I lost my degree certificate aswel as all my gcse and college certificates. I can't get hold of copies of them and it's expensive to get them. I explained this in the extra information section but I was wondering if this would be enough for knowledge of language. I studied business and management and my uni is in leicester.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Brockadisiac wrote:I have been in the UK since I was 17 and now I am 29. I sent a copy of my university letter from de montfort university stating that I studied a honours we free and also I sent a result notification letter. I did this because I lost my degree certificate aswel as all my gcse and college certificates. I can't get hold of copies of them and it's expensive to get them. I explained this in the extra information section but I was wondering if this would be enough for knowledge of language. I studied business and management and my uni is in leicester.
Were you awarded a degree by De Montfort? You would need to provide an academic reference or academic transcripts on De Montfort letter head as set out in pages 35-36: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Brockadisiac
Newly Registered

Post by Brockadisiac » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Just Wondering wrote:
Brockadisiac wrote:I have been in the UK since I was 17 and now I am 29. I sent a copy of my university letter from de montfort university stating that I studied a honours we free and also I sent a result notification letter. I did this because I lost my degree certificate aswel as all my gcse and college certificates. I can't get hold of copies of them and it's expensive to get them. I explained this in the extra information section but I was wondering if this would be enough for knowledge of language. I studied business and management and my uni is in leicester.
Were you awarded a degree by De Montfort? You would need to provide an academic reference or academic transcripts on De Montfort letter head as set out in pages 35-36: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Yes I was awarded by de montfort. I think my result notification had an academic reference and the letter they gave me had the uni head with my student number and all. I hope if it's not enough they will ask me to provide something else instead of refusing my naturalisation.