ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3 year PhD Program Visa length and extension after that

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

monky123
Newly Registered

3 year PhD Program Visa length and extension after that

Post by monky123 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:11 pm

I have two questions.

How Long 3 years PhD visa will be issue for? 3 years 4 Months or 4 years?
Usually for 12 months Master programmer student get 16 Months visa.

Second Question.

After completing PhD, I can get one Year extension under "Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme for PhD students to look for and undertake work, or set up a business "

But I have to apply one month before my completion of study (ideally before submission of thesis?)

If get 3 years and 4 months visa and apply for extension after 3 years. Would my extension start on expiration of my study visa(which is 3 years and 4 months)? and I get total 4 years and 4 months visa? or it will start on the same day extension visa is issue. which means it will become total 4 years visa (3 year study and 1 year extension for work)?

Please clarify this.

shaq1

Re: 3 year PhD Program Visa length and extension after that

Post by shaq1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:35 am

In student policy guidance UKBA stated ' you will receive the full length of your course (up to a maximum of 3 years) plus one month after end of the course. Doctorate Extension Scheme will let you remain in UK for further 12 months beyond your expected course end date.

Please check paragraph 98-99 on the following link> http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

monky123
Newly Registered

Post by monky123 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi shaq1,
Thanks for the link, I just read it.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

Does not it say(under 98 on above document) if "length of course is 12 months are more" then visa will be "The full length of the course
plus four months after the end of the course" which means 3 years plus 4 months

While you mentioned above that 3 years and one month? Please explain if it is typo?

shaq1

Post by shaq1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Damn post graduate doctor is not actually PhD courses, but its actually post graduate doctor courses. Sorry my mistake.

Ya it says in there if you are studying courses more than 12 months you will get 4 months extra.

monky123
Newly Registered

Post by monky123 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:45 pm

So back to the original question. Would I stay 4 Years plus 4 Months, If I complete my phd and apply for 1 year extension. even though I have to apply for extension one month before, completion of study. But my extend visa will start after 3 years and 4 months? Making to stay in UK for 4 year and 4 months.

Is this correct?

alpha2013

Post by alpha2013 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:06 am

hi there,
in Which uni are you planning to go for phd and how much is the fee ?
And do we have to show full three year fee in bank statement to get the three year visa or just the first year fee ?

shaq1

Post by shaq1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:22 am

Yes according to the policy guidance you supposed to receive 3 years and 4 months visa. But I am not quite sure whether you would be able to apply for your Phd doctoral extension before you got the result. Because according to the policy guidance you can apply only after completing your Phd. Your Phd doctoral extension's start date will be the date when they are making the decision. So it will depend on when you are making your application and also how long UKBA will take to make the decision. So may be you will get more than one year in that way.

By the way clarify with your University whether they will extend your visa for Doctoral extension program after you complete your Phd program or not.

cee14

Post by cee14 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:34 am

Hi
By reading this post it looks for PhD maximum visa is 3 years plus 4 months. My CAS says full time PhD duration 5 years. Would I get 3 year + 4 months OR it would be 5 year+ 4 months? Previously I have studied only 1 year and 9 months only for my master so from cap point of view it should not be a problem.
Thanks

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Post by Olasunkanmi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:30 pm

@ monky123, if your PHD is 3yrs and you get issued 3yrs + 4months for the programme, the extra 4months is usually given to enable you complete your thesis or to retake any exam if appplicable. But if you finish your programme within 3yrs and then apply for the DES visa, you will only get 12months from the date of DES visa issuance and whatever remains from Tier4 visa will be cancelled as you are no longer a student.
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

Olasunkanmi
Diamond Member

Post by Olasunkanmi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:02 pm

cee14 wrote:Hi
By reading this post it looks for PhD maximum visa is 3 years plus 4 months. My CAS says full time PhD duration 5 years. Would I get 3 year + 4 months OR it would be 5 year+ 4 months? Previously I have studied only 1 year and 9 months only for my master so from cap point of view it should not be a problem.
Thanks
@ cee14, if your CAS letter state 5yrs for your PHD then you are very likely to get 5yrs + 4months as visa are usually issued according to course duration on condition that the 8yrs cap is not used up.
If i may ask you is there any special research or work placement for your 5yrs PHD programme?
The key to success is knowledge and hardwork, and to have faith.

cee14

Post by cee14 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:05 am

Thanks, Uni take maximum period of PhD completion is 5 years however minimum duration for PhD direct is 2 years if you can complete.