ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Croydon appointment experience

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Applying for British Citizenship

Post by Tamzin27 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:38 pm

Hello All,

After I got my ILR last week, John (the moderator) told me I was entitled to apply for British Citizenship. I did more research and it is true. I will now be applying for British Citizenship next week, as we've gathered the £665, they're asking for.

Take care
Tamzin

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:02 pm

guys you know what..

I Called homeoffice today to cross check my appointment and i came to know they have booked my interview in Liverpool.. i couldnt believe it..
the next appointment is next web..
i can wait that long iguess i have to go to liverpool
THANKS

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:48 am

easylife4me wrote:guys you know what..

I Called homeoffice today to cross check my appointment and i came to know they have booked my interview in Liverpool.. i couldnt believe it..
the next appointment is next web..
i can wait that long iguess i have to go to liverpool
Oh well, look on it as a day out...

Euclase
Newly Registered

Re: Applying for British Citizenship

Post by Euclase » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:56 pm

Tamzin27 wrote:Hello All,

After I got my ILR last week, John (the moderator) told me I was entitled to apply for British Citizenship. I did more research and it is true. I will now be applying for British Citizenship next week, as we've gathered the £665, they're asking for.

Take care
Tamzin
Hi Tamzin,

Yes I'm going to apply for British Citizenship next week as well, although the only problem I have at the moment is finding someone who is a professional that I have known for 3 years, I do know someone who is in career that needed a degree and she has been a member of two professional bodies for that time but it's not anything as straightforward as a solicitor or doctor. My dentist doesnt know me well enough for me to ask him :oops:

So I'm just going through all the people I have known who can be my nominees :D

My experience at the Croyden office was pretty straight forward although I did do something naughty and when they asked what time my appointment was I told them 30mins earlier than it actually was. To get me in the building sooner. I overheard a security guard saying he couldnt let people in the building more than 45mins before their appointment, so I figured 30mins earlier was still OK :wink:

The guards were quite friendly, you had to empty EVERYTHING out of your pockets and had your bags etc scanned then told to get into either a line for people with appointments or no appointments.

After a 5 min wait I had a clerk see all the relevant documents (I had put everything into chronological order with both my husbands/joint/and my documents into three folders (05, 06 and 07) they asked to see my Life in the UK test letter and asked how I would be paying, they gave me a form with my number on it that they would call out. We proceeded to the next floor parted with the cash, was given a receipt, they asked to see some documents as well, then we were told to go to the next floor.

After about a 15 wait my number was called, I was asked for my passport and my husbands one along with the form. Then I was asked to put everything into chronological order with both my husbands and my things together, she just wanted everything in date order. As it was already done, we waited for her to go through my form page by page, (she hovered over the page where I stated my speeding fine and my traffic fine for driving without a seatbelt :oops: ) then she did whatever she had to do on the computer first then we passed through the documents for each year when she asked for them. We were asked no further questions, all we did was just sit there while she went through all the documents, she never saw my wage slips as they were in another folder with the last three months bank statements and other financial details. She then sorted the documents into two piles of what she needed and what she didnt need, she took all out council tax bills (they were in both our names, as was the electricity and the water rates) we also have a joint account which my salary goes into and is the main account we use to pay for everything. We also had copy statements of our saving accounts in case we were asked about what money we had available. But we were not asked for these.

She then went off and photocopied all the documents, while she was gone I was reading my magazine, then when she came back she put everything into a plastic envelope and said it had to be referred and it shouldnt be long, she was gone about 10 mins (again I started reading my mag!) then came back, filled in some more details on the computer, then said everything was fine, she gave my husband back his passport and all our documents that she had photocopied, and said it would take two hours and that we had to be back before 4pm.

After reading on here that some peoples visa's were ready in 10-20 mins, I decided to stay and read whilst we waited, my number was then called out after 45mins and I was given my passport back along with some guidance notes about the new visa, then we left and had dinner out to celebrate.

During the whole time I was asked no questions about my settlement or where we were living or about my job. I also offered nothing, but just sat there waiting for her to ask me for any information she needed.

Next step British Citizenship ! :D

Hope tomorrow is successful for you ezylife4me :)

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:34 am

Congratulations.

nice reading! thanks for sharing the experience.

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Euclase

Post by Tamzin27 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:29 am

Hi Euclase,

Good girl! I've got an appointment at the Bromley Council this coming Monday for NCS. Thank God you've just reminded me that we need referees. Oh God! I completely forgot. With a 4 months baby, you can't think of anything else apart from bottles and nappies. Keep in touch and let me know how your application is going. If you don't want to leave messages on this thread, just PM me. I'll do the same.

Good luck
Tamzin

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

John, Euclase

Post by Tamzin27 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:00 pm

Euclase or John,

Who did you ask for referees. My GPs are saying no because they don't know me personally. Who do I go to? Help!

Thanks
Tamzin

firstime

Post by firstime » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi Tamzin or anyone here have been to the PEO recently

May I ask , have you been asked how long were you absent from the UK and do they acturally caculate the dates? Anyone got any problems or please share some expereinces ? thanks a lot

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Heloooo Guys..

i got my ILR today.. at Liverpool.
i will write down in detail lateron..

thanks everyone..
THANKS

Euclase
Newly Registered

Post by Euclase » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:19 pm

Excellent, great news Easylife4me :)

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:32 pm

easylife4me wrote:Heloooo Guys..

i got my ILR today.. at Liverpool.
i will write down in detail lateron..

thanks everyone..
That's good news for you! So the trip to Liverpool was a worthwhile day out!

firstime

Post by firstime » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:40 pm

Easylife,

Congratualtions!!

May I ask you two things

- did they ask which day you acturaly start working? Or they just look at the visa endorsement date

- Did they check the absent date??

thanks !!

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Easylife

Post by Tamzin27 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:37 pm

Well done Easylife. Congratulation! Must feel good.

Take care
Tamzin

Tamzin27
Newly Registered

Firstime

Post by Tamzin27 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:38 pm

Hi Firstime,

Please read previous messages. I've already written about absences in detail before.

Tamzin

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:39 pm

well they didnt ask me my starting date at work
they did look my absenses....the lady was calculating the number of days I was not in the country but left it half way as she could see my application was very straight forward. they did ask my bank statements and also call work permit department to get cross check my work permit docs.
THANKS

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:40 pm

thanks everyone once again
THANKS

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by marlasinger » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 pm

It's good to hear these positive stories. :D

I have my appointment in 2 days, based on FLR(M). Hubby and I are both very nervous (also about the long drive out there :roll: ), but it does ease my mind to hear that most experiences have been very positive ones.

I will post back here after my appointment to let you all know how it went. :)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:13 pm

marlasinger, you are nervous about a FLR(M) application? Why? As long as you have the required supporting evidence then there really is no need to be nervous at all.

Think of it like this. At an airport you need to check in for a flight. Do you have the required papers with you? Passport? Ticket? If so, really nothing to worry about, is there! Same for an application on form FLR(M) for your 2-year spouse visa.
John

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by marlasinger » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:28 pm

You were absolutely right, John. We had nothing to worry about at all. :D I feel silly for all the fuss I made, and energy spent worrying about it, when it went absolutely smoothly.

My experience today:

We got to the Croydon office at 8:30am (the appointment was 9am), went through the security check, and were the first people in line. We were called to the counter where the clerk checked my application form, both our passports, marriage certificate, and the bank statements I had brought (I gave him just the three months worth). He ticked them off a checklist he had, which he gave back to us, along with an 'Appointment Card', which had our ticket number on it.

We were then sent upstairs to pay our fee, which was straight forward. After that, we went to wait in the 'appointment area', but before we had even taken our seats, our number was called. The lady who served us was quite stern, so I thought she would ask a lot of questions. Instead, she just asked for my application form, our passports, marriage certificate, bank statements and payslips for the last three months. I handed them over, she entered some things on her computer, went off to photocopy the things I had given her. Then she came back, told me my passport would be sent to another department, and the new visa would be put in there, and be ready to be collected in 1.5 hours. She said that we should now start collecting evidence to prove cohabitation, for the settlement visa application that I would need to do in 2 years time.

We stayed in the building - it was only 9:15am, so that tells you how quick it all was - and waited for my passport to be ready (which did take 1.5 hours - was hoping I'd be lucky and get it done in 20 minutes :P ), and then collected it and left! :D

Easy peasy! She didn't ask any questions at all, even though neither of us are working, which is clearly stated on the application (the payslips I'd given her were from my last job which ended 5 months ago [I couldn't work for longer than a year on my WHV])! I had a stack of paperwork - letter from my previous employer, and the recruitment agency, photos, letters from my mother-in-law, details of the house we are living in, etc.)

What a relief! Thanks for all the comments and answers to my queries over the last few months. I really appreciate all the effort - this forum is a tremendous help. :D

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:40 pm

marlasinger, congratulations, but then, why not! Now get on with your life!

Well actually, have a look at the form SET(M) .... click here .... and study the part where it details the evidence that you will need in order to get your ILR in nearly 2 years time.

That evidence is easy to gather, especially when you have nearly 2 years to gather it!
John

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by marlasinger » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks for the congrats, John. I'll definately look into what is needed for the settlement visa as early as possible. Thanks for the link. :D

firstime

Post by firstime » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:13 pm

I will be going to East Corydon office tomorrow for my ILR based on 5 years work permit, I am a bit nervous and like to double check with you and please give me any tips if you have

The documents I got
- letter from my company
- the application forms
- the housing renting contract + letter from landlady
- P60 for last year
- Payslips for last 6 month
- Bank statements for last 3 month
- Police registration form
- Life in the UK pass certificate
- Two passport size photos
I have been working for the same company for 5 years but I have been travelled a lot so I listed all the dates away from the UK including business trips and holidays but I have been away for more than 180 days in the last 5 years of course, however in the last one year I have not been away for more than 100 days..

Another concern is my work permit visa was granted in country but I did not start working straight away. But based on the posts here and checking with HO , I understand that the five year clock starts from the date that visa was endorsed, right…

Any tips ?

global gypsy
United Kingdom

parking available?

Post by global gypsy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:52 pm

Is there parking available near the Croydon office (Lunar House)?
Or is it better to take a train to East Croydon?
Thanks for your advice and info.
Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans

jes2jes

Re: parking available?

Post by jes2jes » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:51 pm

global gypsy wrote:Is there parking available near the Croydon office (Lunar House)?
Or is it better to take a train to East Croydon?
Thanks for your advice and info.
Depends on your travelling needs but it is easier by train via East Croydon Station or by bus but of course there is parking available at the Whittgift Centre for a fee.
Praise The Lord!!!!

vic

Post by vic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:02 am

Good Luck Firsttime.

I notice you have posted in all the threads that I have posted in --- perhaps we are sailing in the same boat. (I have a total of 205 days outside UK in the last 5 years).

I await your updating us after ur appointment tomorrow.

Good luck once again.