ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child registration or other options?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

scigo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Slovakia

Child registration or other options?

Post by scigo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:01 pm

I need a bit of advise please. Today I have called the HMPO regarding the update on my 3 children passport application. I have been told 2 of my children (twins) will be issued a passport and it is currently in print, the oldest however not.
Now a bit about us: Me and my wife are both EU citizens (Slovakia) and we have lived in the UK since June 2004. Our eldest daughter was born 30/3/2009, in the UK, the twins in June last year, here in the UK as well.
When I spoke to the lady from HMPO she told me that because we were in the country for 5 year at the time our twins are born, they are automatically BC, therefore they have been issued with a passport. However as was not in the country for 5 years at the time my eldest was born (30/3/2004) she is not eligible to be automatically to be a BC and they have refused the application. She said that she can hold the application for me for 2 months. She also told me that I should register my eldest a BC as we may full-fill the criteria (I checked now and I think we are) , than send the paperwork to them and they will issue her with passport.
I would like to know what do you advise or if you have an experience with similar situation? It seems crazy to me that 2 of my children are BC and one not because I am missing 8-9 weeks from 5 years, but I understand that's the rule.
Do you know if there is a way to appeal or to have them reconsider the decision? Is there a point?
I would like also to know if I will go the suggested route, am I right to use the MN1 form? It is really expensive (£673) :(
For the form, how can I prove my settled status? Would the fact that I have been here for 10 year and worked 10 year, have a mortgage for nearly 7 year, my daughter goes to school here and we only leave the country for family holiday enough?
Is there anything else I could do? I only have 2 months from today, so is it even possible to do?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Child registration or other options?

Post by Jambo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 pm

The Passport Office is right. Birth in the UK is not enough. The parent must be settled (ILR/PR) at the time of birth which for EEA nationals means 5 years of treaty rights.
Was June 2004 the first time you moved to the UK? Then those missing 8-9 weeks will cost you £673...

Apply using form MN1. You will need to provide evidence that you are now settled. 5 P60s for example would do the trick. Applications take 2-3 months now (the HO have a very high number of applications to go through becasue of change in the rules for adults last October).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

scigo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Slovakia

Post by scigo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Thank you Jambo for reply. I kind of hoped that there is another option. Do you think that it would make any difference that me and my wife had the residence document (small blue paper with picture, I think it was EEA2 form) at the time of birth of our daughter. Do you think it is worth me applying for eea3 before sending the mn1? Will it make any difference if I use local ncs? Or maybe go to Croydon? Will they do it whilst waiting?
I have got p60 from first year here so should not be a problem, but I am not sure I want spent nearly £700 for 8-9 weeks. And if it takes that long the passport application will fail. I guess my eldest daughter will be Slovakian the other two BC.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 pm

The blue booklet makes no difference unless it says on the vignette you have PR (following EEA3 application). You can apply for EEA3 and that would save some paperwork for the MN1 application but EEA3 can take 2-3 months also. It can only be done by post.

If you don't want to spend the money now, then you will only lose the £50 for the passport application. The child can be registered anytime until he is 18.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

scigo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Slovakia

Post by scigo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 am

I might go with the EEA3 application now. Should I add my daughter (the one without BC) as well or there is no point as I will go for registration later anyway? Saying that, looking at the website here the cost was about 400 in 2009 so it is hardly going to get cheaper in next few years. I am just worried that even if I go for registration, the HMPO won't hold the application for so long.
Shame I didn't apply for EEA3 couple of years ago I could have had less trouble now and it was free then, now I have to pay for it as well. But I think long term (as I am not intending to go for UK passport) it makes sense to have a PR with one date I can use on any documentation in the future. And just to clarify is the PR the same as ILR?