ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married to UK National in 1996, wife wants now to remarry

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

meunier
Newly Registered

Married to UK National in 1996, wife wants now to remarry

Post by meunier » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Hello.

I'm from North America. I married - happily so - a UK national in 1996. We lived together in the UK in celebration of that same marriage for over a decade. My wife met someone else and we separated a few years ago. I'm over that pain now, understanding her dilemma. (She is a good person.) She now wants (understandably) to get a divorce so she can marry that person. I understand and would not wish to contest. I would like to see her happy. I'm just wondering will I be able to retain my permanent leave to remain? I have always held it in respect, have never been in trouble with the law, own my property in London and pay taxes - and have done so in the UK proudly for the past 17 years. At no point during that duration have I been at any point resident anywhere else.

I hope these details are sufficient to seek an answer from your good selves. I would imagine I would be alright but I would I promise be HUGELY grateful for your kind advice as I am - on the above referenced point - uncertain.

Bless you for your time and wisdom.

vinny

Re: Married to UK National in 1996, wife wants now to remarr

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Your PR/ILR should be unaffected.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:00 pm

As Vinny states, but why don't you just naturalise?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

meunier
Newly Registered

Post by meunier » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Much thanks for your kind advice. I'm pleased to hear that my indefinite leave to remain will be unaffected. This is what I suspected. I will naturalise. It is something I have been thinking about for some time ... and, of course, just never got round to. This can be an incentive. My wife only said yesterday that she wanted to get a divorce as they now wanted to get married. I do understand. Honestly I do ... and I know she wants now to do this as quickly as she can arrange it. (Again I will not contest. I do understand and sympathize.) My concern was simply because obviously the divorce will come first and I just didn't want to say that I would go along with it (which, in fact, I already have) if it meant I would be booted out of the country and lose those assets (my work, my home, etc.) that I have worked hard to build/attain. What I meant to say, I didn't want to lose any more sleep over it than necessary. Bless you for setting my mind at rest. Again, I am HUGELY grateful to you for your kind words. Bless you.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:42 pm

You appear to have ILR. I propose to move your post to a more appropriate part of the forum.

meunier
Newly Registered

Post by meunier » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:34 pm

That would be much appreciated. I was uncertain where to place it. Huge thanks for ALL.