ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in the UK but not living with settled parent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sarrial
Mood:
United Kingdom

Child born in the UK but not living with settled parent

Post by sarrial » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 am

Hi

I have recently got ILR after 5-year in the UK stay as a Tier 1 migrant.
I have one and half year old daughter born in the UK and living with her mother. Can I apply for her British citizenship? She has been living with ex as we separated about an year ago. Her mother came to the UK as my dependent and after separation she applied for asylum and still waiting for feedback of her application. Can I apply for my daughter's naturalization / ILR even though she has been staying with mother.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child born in the UK but not living with settled parent

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:45 am

Yes you can apply on MN1 under section 1(3). Is your name on her birth certificate etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sarrial
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sarrial » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:44 am

My name is on her birth certificate.

Someone told that I need to be the carer (parent with who the child live) in order to apply for her citizenship. I see her on weekly basis and pay all the expenses related to food, clothing, toys etc. She doesn't live with me and payment is not through child support agency / through any agreement. As I said, mother claimed asylum and still waiting for feedback.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:12 pm

No, the advice is wrong. A child born in the UK before parents gain ILR can be registered as BC on MN1 under section 1(3) once ILR is granted to the parent.

Are you divorced or just separated??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sarrial
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sarrial » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Divorced. Does this matter? Her mother has claimed asylum (for herself and child too) as she couldn't find any other way to stay in the country...

I have daughter's overseas ID card and birth certificate. Do we need passport of mother and the child too?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:54 pm

If the child was born in the UK before your ILR was approved, there is no need for the childs passport.

MN1, UK birth certificate, your passport & ILR should be fine.

Not too sure if the asylum app will have an impact, maybe a moderator could advise on that.
Char (CR001 not Casa)