ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it Ok to be away for a week or two just before ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dancingjack
Newly Registered

Is it Ok to be away for a week or two just before ILR?

Post by dancingjack » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:56 pm

I am applying for ILR in 2nd week of March. My Tier1 (General) is expiring on 29th March 2014.

Now, my brother's marriage is planned for 23rd Feb in India. I was wondering if there is any risk if I go away for a week or so to attend the marriage? Will immigration at Heathrow, when I come back, think - this guy's visa is expiring in a month's time, why is he coming back? Was his intent all along been to settle in UK?

I know those doubts may sound silly, and I think, legally there shouldn't be any problem, but just wanted to hear some assurances or any any other comments from this forum (this forum has been really great).

Many thanks.

Apam

Re: Is it Ok to be away for a week or two just before ILR?

Post by Apam » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. I have entered the uk 2 weeks before my visa expired. The immigration officer just reminded me to apply for extension and that was it.

dk2011

Post by dk2011 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:07 pm

immigration at Heathrow won't know that you are going to apply for ILR unless you tell them your plan . You will be allowed to enter as long as you have valid travel documents and permission to live in the UK. If asked , you can say that you will apply for extension before the current leave expires.

dancingjack
Newly Registered

Post by dancingjack » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks guys for your responses. Much appreciated.