ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year indefinite leave to remain application. student.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kenray92
Newly Registered

10 year indefinite leave to remain application. student.

Post by kenray92 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi, I have comleted my 10 years of continued residence inthe UK - the entire period on a student visa.

I came here on 3rd July 2003 and now it is 30 jan 2014.

One problem I have is that over the 10 year period from 2003 to 2013 I have left the country for a total of more than 540 days. Most likely around 580-590 days.

This is why I have not applied as soon as my 10 year period was completed, since i wanted to bring the 'absent from UK' numbers down by staying in the UK without leaving - and applying for 2004-2014.

Since I have mostly returned to my home country to visit my parents during the xmas and summer holidays, i figured if I stayed here during those times i can bring the number down. I hope this makes sense.

But one issue that has arisen is that I wish to do an erasmus programme in France which would start in September this year. This means that either I would have to apply for the ILR now and hope to receive it before september or I would just have to spend the year abroad and then apply for residency once I return to the UK after the erasmus year based on the 10 years continued residence built up in the past.

"Once an applicant has built up a period of 10 years continuous lawful residence, there is no
limit on the length of time afterwards when they can apply. This means they could leave the
UK, re-enter and apply for settlement based on a 10 year period of continuous lawful
residence they built up in the past. "

I read this in the guidelines which gave me hope. Does this mean that i can do my year abroad and then return for my final year here inthe UK and apply for ILR then?
Would the big absence during the year abroad pose a problem? Could I choose from which date i wish to calculate the 10 years? (in my case it would be backwards 10 years from the summer of 2014)

I really would appreciate some advice please:) it seems that i would really have to act fast if I was to apply before I leave, so any advice would be very helpful thank you.

Seneca

Re: 10 year indefinite leave to remain application. student.

Post by Seneca » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:38 pm

I recommend you apply now. Then you can have peace of mind on your Erasmus program. They take between 3 to 6 months now to process the ILR on long residence route. Have a look at 10 years long residence thread.

cee14

Post by cee14 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:17 am

Hi Kenray92
I am going to apply next year for 10 year ILR with my tier-4 visa. I will appreciate if you guide me from your knowledge and experience about the documents which I would be required under 10 yr ILR so that I can start in arranging/collecting in advance. I think I need only my passports covering 10 years period and current biometric but want to be sure if any more documents are needed??
Best of Luck for your ILR
Thanks

kenray92
Newly Registered

Post by kenray92 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:30 pm

Seneca wrote:I recommend you apply now. Then you can have peace of mind on your Erasmus program. They take between 3 to 6 months now to process the ILR on long residence route. Have a look at 10 years long residence thread.
Yes i think that would be ideal. But I am not sure if I would be able to get it before september. I think the earliest I'd be able to apply is late february or early march. If it does take 6 months or more, then I would be stranded here without a passport and wouldnt be able to go abroad. Also, I am not entirely sure that I would be granted the residency given the amount of days ive been absent.

Is it impossible to apply for it after I return from France based on the 10 years i have built up in the past?

kenray92
Newly Registered

Post by kenray92 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:31 pm

hi, cee14, I am also starting to prepare them myself so i am in no position to give you helpful advice. sorry!
good luck to you too

Seneca

Post by Seneca » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:05 pm

No it is not impossible. It is perfect OK to apply after you are back from France.