ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New KOL and English requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

harshil223
United Kingdom

New KOL and English requirement

Post by harshil223 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Hello board members

I am asking this question on behalf of my wife who has got her independent Tier1(G) visa and about to complete 5 years of stay in UK. We are going to apply for her settlement by filling SET-O form.

Request to help me confirm my understanding is correct for using points obtained from PBS calculator to prove 10 points are obtained for English skills.

While using PBS calculator here We reach at below page
English language
In this section, you must score ten points for your English language skills at the time of application or your application will be refused.

If you are from a majority English speaking country you can automatically claim ten points for English language skills.

If you are not from a majority English speaking country, you can claim points either for an English language test or a degree taught in English equivalent to a Bachelor's degree or above in the UK.

How would you like to claim points for English language skills?

I am a national from a majority English speaking country
I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English
I have passed an approved English language test
I have already proven my English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application
I do not want to claim points for English language skills (your application will be refused, unless your assessment refers to a settlement application - see Help below)
She has obtained 30 points for her qualification as its there in calcualator. She has proven my Engish language skills earlier when she got futher leave to remain as well.

Can you please let me know if we select option "I have already proven my English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application" and take print out of the PBS scores, will it be sufficient to claim 10 points for English language if sent along with SET-O application?

Thanks

harshil223
United Kingdom

Re: New KOL and English requirement

Post by harshil223 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:08 am

Request to provide advice for my above post.
I am 99% sure that we will not need additional test to prove English skills but if anyone who got ILR approved recently and share what was submitted as proof of English skills - it will be a great help.

Thanks

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:51 am

harshil223 wrote:Request to provide advice for my above post.
I am 99% sure that we will not need additional test to prove English skills but if anyone who got ILR approved recently and share what was submitted as proof of English skills - it will be a great help.

Thanks
by reading recent related post1 and post2 , I am getting more confused.
If the original degree taught is found in PBS calculator and same had been used to prove English skills earlier, do we really need to have it validated by NARIC?

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:38 am

Sorry for the confusion. If it is demonstrated on the PBS calculator, then you don't need to further deem it by NARIC.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:33 am

WR1 wrote:Sorry for the confusion. If it is demonstrated on the PBS calculator, then you don't need to further deem it by NARIC.
Thanks for the response. But if Degree is found in PBS Calculator, does it mean that it automatically gets 10 points for English skills?

I don't see PBS calculator granting 10 points for English skills automatically upon finding the Degree.

Which option should be selected in next step of PBS calculator from below then?

Code: Select all

I have a qualification comparable to a UK Bachelor degree that was taught in English 
 I have already proven my English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application 
 I do not want to claim points for English language skills (your application will be refused, unless your assessment refers to a settlement application - see Help below) 

Should we select option 2 or 4?

Request to help. we must post application by coming Tuesday.

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:03 pm

harshil223 wrote:
WR1 wrote:Sorry for the confusion. If it is demonstrated on the PBS calculator, then you don't need to further deem it by NARIC.
Thanks for the response. But if Degree is found in PBS Calculator, does it mean that it automatically gets 10 points for English skills?

I don't see PBS calculator granting 10 points for English skills automatically upon finding the Degree.

Should we select option 2 or 4? :?

any help please..

sachin01663

Post by sachin01663 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi,

I am in the similar situation. Can anyone help with this please?

If a degree is there in point based calculator and you are awarded 30 points for that, can you assume that it fulfills the English requirements?

Tier 1 General applicants who is getting 30 points for qualification in PBS calculator and has always used this qualification to proove english requirements in previous extensions. Does he still need NARIC letter?

PLease help.

Sachin

kpk1234

Post by kpk1234 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:30 pm

If you already submitted your qualification when making the initial application and claimed points, you can claim 10 points for english language and for your degree ( masters 35, bachelor's 30) unless you have a new qualification which you would like to use. To claim English language points through degree it should taught in English.

sachin01663

Post by sachin01663 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:56 pm

harshil223 wrote:
harshil223 wrote:

Should we select option 2 or 4? :?

any help please..

I was stuck at same place but you need to select this option and it will award you 10 points if your degree qualifies

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:05 pm

Come to think of if, it is a fact that you have already proven your English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application as well so don't be afraid of selecting this option.