ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Qualification?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SpyJoe
Newly Registered

Qualification?

Post by SpyJoe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:30 am

Hello everyone,

my wife is planning to apply for Naturalisation but she is not sure if she has enough qualifications to prove that she can speak English. 3-4 years ago she studied at a college and completed following courses:

1. General English (Cambridge PET and FCE) Pre-Intermediate and Intermediate
2. General English Upper-Intermediate Level
3. Business English Language Course (Intermediate CEFR Level B1-B2) Awarding Body: University of Cambridge

This is what I found on UK Border Agency website:
English language qualifications used to demonstrate knowledge of language must be at Entry level 3 or above. The qualification must include speaking and listening and either:

be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

The register includes a wide range of English language qualifications from awarding bodies recognised by OFQUAL. If you have a qualification at ESOL entry level 3, level 1 or level 2, taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, which is on the OFQUAL Register, you can use it to support an application for settlement. Or
be on the list of recognised English tests and qualifications. We will accept a qualification on this list which was taken abroad as well as those taken in the UK; or
be a National qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCQF) levels 4, 5 or 6 awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) taken in Scotland. If you are studying in England, Wales or Northern Ireland for a qualification that is on the OFQUAL register, the qualification will meet our requirements, provided it is at ESOL entry level 3 or above. It is not necessary for the qualification to also be on the list of Recognised English tests and qualifications.
You do not need to study for your qualification at an accredited college, but you may prefer to study at an institution which is publicly funded or a member of an accreditation scheme. Accreditation schemes include those offered by Accreditation UK, ABLS, BAC and ASIC.
And they provide a more detailed list here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... atura1.pdf

Can someone please confirm that three above courses will be enough and if so which one?

But if they are not enough, what choices does my wife have? Surely she doesn't need to go to college again?

Anvi3
Newly Registered

Re: Qualification?

Post by Anvi3 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 pm

hi Everyone,
My wife is planning for applying naturalization soon.
She got her ILR in 2009 and completed Life in UK test in 2009.

Could you please let me know if she has to complete the B1 qualification in English as well for qualifying for Naturalisation.
Or if she just go with Life in UK test only as she has completed in 2009?
Kindly confirm.

Thanks
A

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:43 am

Anvi3 wrote:hi Everyone,
My wife is planning for applying naturalization soon.
She got her ILR in 2009 and completed Life in UK test in 2009.

Could you please let me know if she has to complete the B1 qualification in English as well for qualifying for Naturalisation.
Or if she just go with Life in UK test only as she has completed in 2009?
Kindly confirm.

Thanks
A
She needs to complete the English language requirement as well. See page 11-16 http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... let_an.pdf

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:52 am

SpyJoe wrote:1. General English (Cambridge PET and FCE) Pre-Intermediate and Intermediate
2. General English Upper-Intermediate Level
3. Business English Language Course (Intermediate CEFR Level B1-B2) Awarding Body: University of Cambridge
Are any of these on the OFQUAL register (http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualification)or on the list that you linked to? There appears to be qualifications on those lists that are close to what you've put.

Who is the Awarding Body of each qualification and what qualification/certificate did she obtain? You've seemingly put the course - but check what certificate she obtained as that's what matters.

Anvi3
Newly Registered

Post by Anvi3 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:35 am

Thank you very much for your clarification.

SpyJoe
Newly Registered

Post by SpyJoe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Just Wondering wrote:Are any of these on the OFQUAL register (http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualification)or on the list that you linked to? There appears to be qualifications on those lists that are close to what you've put.

Who is the Awarding Body of each qualification and what qualification/certificate did she obtain? You've seemingly put the course - but check what certificate she obtained as that's what matters.

How do I find out whow is the Awarding Body?

Below are links to the certificates that she received, but I can't see where it says who is the Awarding Body:

SpyJoe
Newly Registered

Post by SpyJoe » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Just Wondering, how do I check what certificate she obtained? You can see the certificate above, would you say that it is enough or not?