ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 extension and ILR

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

drdevil86
Newly Registered

Tier 2 extension and ILR

Post by drdevil86 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi All, I got my Tier 2 approved Yesterday. I would like to thank all members and Manci for their prompt replies and helping me out with all my queries.
As we all know this is an unending process so I need your help with another query. My HR today asked me about the extension. Basically I work for a small company so I usually find stuff for my HR and also make sure I keep on top of it.

I have 3 questions please :

-What documents I will need at the end of 3 years to get an extension ? Is it the payslips for all the 3 years ?
- What is the duration of extension (2 or 3 ? ) and is there a cooling off period before I get an extension ?
- If I meet all the criteria's, is getting an ILR a possibility ?

Many thanks.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Tier 2 extension and ILR

Post by manci » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:21 am

drdevil86 wrote:Hi All, I got my Tier 2 approved Yesterday. I would like to thank all members and Manci for their prompt replies and helping me out with all my queries.
As we all know this is an unending process so I need your help with another query. My HR today asked me about the extension. Basically I work for a small company so I usually find stuff for my HR and also make sure I keep on top of it.

I have 3 questions please :

-What documents I will need at the end of 3 years to get an extension ? Is it the payslips for all the 3 years ?
you will need a new CoS

- What is the duration of extension (2 or 3 ? ) and is there a cooling off period before I get an extension ?
if this was your first T2G leave then under current rules the extension can be 3 years or the period of engagement if that is shorter. Cooling-off is only for to entry clearance applications, not for extensions

- If I meet all the criteria's, is getting an ILR a possibility ?
yes, after 5 years on T2G (under current rules)

Many thanks.

drdevil86
Newly Registered

Post by drdevil86 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks for your reply Manci, does that mean I have to go though RLMT/ SOC rules and also pay the fees and everything again ?
Also, you mentioned about 'current rules' for ILR. Are these the existing rules or the rules which will be at the time of applying.
I will appreciate if you may reply for these final queries.
Thanks in advance.

ratapita

Post by ratapita » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi ,

Having just gone through the Guidance ( my Tier 2 visa comes up for extension in April ) I thought i will add my thoughts for what it is worth. I will of course like if manci would be able to confirm this.
- You will have to make a fresh application with a new CoS for your extension and of course pay your application fee. But your employer will not have to go through the RLMT again, as long as you are with the same employer and continuing in the same job.
- Re ILR- I think manci means the current rules as they are today enables a person who has been in Tier 2 to apply for ILR. See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ettlement/

Not wishing to hijack the thread , but have a question for manci myself and I think drdevil86 will benefit as well: With the extension in Tier 2 General coming up, I am trying to make sure the 6 year period for ILR is covered :?

[color=#0040FF]Does the period of grant of leave under Tier 2 run from the date the Cos is valid from i.e the date of start of work? or the date of issue on the BIometric Residence Permit?[/color]
I know when i first switched to Tier 2 (General) my CoS was issued in April 2011, but the date of issue on BRP is May 2011, and there is no other clarification on the letter as to when the grant of leave starts from. I know they should have given me 3 yrs+ 1 month, as my CoS was for 3 years, but for some reason this 1 month seem to have been overlooked, and my visa expires in April 2014. Though I was not too fussy about this at the time ( what with the euphoria of having got the visa :D ) I am now getting a bit worried, that the UKBA might make the same sort of mistake again and leave me short of 6 years when granting the extension!!!

Any thoughts manci? or any one else? Many thanks :D

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:58 pm

ratapita wrote: I know when i first switched to Tier 2 (General) my CoS was issued in April 2011, but the date of issue on BRP is May 2011, and there is no other clarification on the letter as to when the grant of leave starts from. I know they should have given me 3 yrs+ 1 month, as my CoS was for 3 years, but for some reason this 1 month seem to have been overlooked, and my visa expires in April 2014. Though I was not too fussy about this at the time ( what with the euphoria of having got the visa :D ) I am now getting a bit worried, that the UKBA might make the same sort of mistake again and leave me short of 6 years when granting the extension!!!
the leave period starts on the start date given in the CoS and the end date of your leave should have been 3 years + 14 days from that date (provided your sponsor asked for 3 years), You will be eligible for ILR after 5 years on T2G

drdevil86
Newly Registered

Post by drdevil86 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:41 pm

Thanks, just a bit confused with 'current rules' thing. As per the current rules I dont see any minimum salary requirements for ILR. However, after 2016 it will 35k per annum for ILR. Since, I came under Tier 2 general before 2016, what rules will be applied on me for ILR ?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:06 am

drdevil86 wrote:Thanks, just a bit confused with 'current rules' thing. As per the current rules I dont see any minimum salary requirements for ILR. However, after 2016 it will 35k per annum for ILR. Since, I came under Tier 2 general before 2016, what rules will be applied on me for ILR ?
the rules in force at the time of the ILR application.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... t/#header2

drdevil86
Newly Registered

Post by drdevil86 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply. I appreciate this.

ratapita

Post by ratapita » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks for the clarification manci! :)