ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language for Spouse - No Degree certificate

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ansha12345
Newly Registered

English Language for Spouse - No Degree certificate

Post by ansha12345 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:33 am

Dear All

I need some URGENT guidance. I and my wife will soon be applying for settlement under Tier 2 route. I have already satisfied my English requirement as a part of earlier application. My wife has got bachelors qualification taught in India and this is recognized in point based calculator and she gets 10 points for it. Trouble is we just realized she doesn't have original degree certificate, but she does have all 3 years marksheet which mentions she has passed the course. Will that be accepted or do we have a risk of rejection without the original degree certificate? We reached out to the institute back in India and getting the degree certificate is not an easy job at the moment and it will take lot of time. Please advise. Thanks.

uktraveller.030209
Newly Registered

Re: English Language for Spouse - No Degree certificate

Post by uktraveller.030209 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:38 am

Your question has a rather limited context to it, so this answer is based on the following premise
- That you will apply for yourself and your wife using the same SET-O form.
- That you wife has never before applied for a UK visa where she'd had to provide a degree certificate or any other proof of
eduational qualification as part of points based assessment.

The answer is -
NO, your wife must have her bachelor's degree certificate

OR

She will need to pass one of the CEFR affiliated English language tests as stipulated by UK Home Office in the list below
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... atura1.pdf

This answer is based on the response of successful applicants who applied for ILR using SET-O form version 12/2013

ansha12345
Newly Registered

Post by ansha12345 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks for your response. Yes, your both the assumption is correct. Our dilemma is my wife has also done her MBA from India and she has both mark sheets and degree certificate for MBA degree, but this doesn't reflect in Point based calculator. We would be going for premium service(same day) and will provide below:

1. Point based calculator certificate for my wife's bachelor's degree plus original mark sheet for all the 3 years, but no degree certificate
2. Original mark sheets + degree certificate for her MBA, but no point based calculator certificate.
3. As it will be the same day service, case worker can interview my wife and clear any confusion reg. english elligibility

so the questions we are seeking clarification is: Will this approach be sufficient or we taking risk and there could be chance of rejection for my wife's english language requirement?

Regards

Yash001

Post by Yash001 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:51 am

No this is not sufficient.the advice given by UKtraveller is correct. I had exactly same scenario so my wife took an English test and we got the ILR. I have posted my ILR results. You can checkit if you want.

uktraveller.030209
Newly Registered

Post by uktraveller.030209 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:54 pm

When is your wife due to apply for ILR ?
If she has sufficient time before that, a sure shot solution is to talk to the college/institution in India who issued her MBA degree.
PBS guidelines stipulate that in case your degree is not identified on NARIC database (when you search on points based calculator)
then, the last resort is to contact the college staff and request them to issue a letter on their official stationary + stamped & signed,
clearly stipulating your academic registration details, duration of course and that it was taught in English

ansha12345
Newly Registered

Post by ansha12345 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Thanks

My wife has got her MBA degree & certificate. But this doesn't appear in the point based calculator. Its her bachelor degree for which she doesn't' have the original degree certificate but it appears in point based calculator. We were thinking of going with bachelors mark sheets, and point based certificate and in case of any confusion, we expect case worker to call her as its same day service and clarify. Would the case worker still go by the rule book and reject in absence of original bachelor degree certificate or is it worth a risk taking?

Requsting other members also who have gone through this phase to advise. It would be quite ridiculous that despite having done bachelors and masters, my wife has to go for a English language test in a worst case scenario.

ScopeD
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by ScopeD » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:44 pm

ansha12345 wrote:Thanks

My wife has got her MBA degree & certificate. But this doesn't appear in the point based calculator. Its her bachelor degree for which she doesn't' have the original degree certificate but it appears in point based calculator. We were thinking of going with bachelors mark sheets, and point based certificate and in case of any confusion, we expect case worker to call her as its same day service and clarify. Would the case worker still go by the rule book and reject in absence of original bachelor degree certificate or is it worth a risk taking?

Requsting other members also who have gone through this phase to advise. It would be quite ridiculous that despite having done bachelors and masters, my wife has to go for a English language test in a worst case scenario.
Yes the Caseworker is bound to go by the rule book and may reject your wife's application if you do not provide the required evidence. You have to provide the degree certificate, or as uktraveller.030209 mentioned, provide a letter on official college paper from your wife's university. If your wife's MBA is not on the PB calculator, it is unlikely that it will be deemed to be sufficient evidence by the UKBA. Perhaps you may want to have the MBA degree assessed by NARIC for the English language requirement. You may also want to consider your wife just taking an approved English Test before her application if getting the right documents is proving to be a challenge.

ansha12345
Newly Registered

Post by ansha12345 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 pm

Thank you everyone for your expert guidance. This helps. Regards

rahulm.creative
Newly Registered

Post by rahulm.creative » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Hello Ansha12345,

I am also on the same boat. My wife has only marksheets and degree certificate she didn't collect from India. Did you manage to show only marksheets or attempted for test? Thanks!