ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse eligibility to apply

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sb86

Spouse eligibility to apply

Post by sb86 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Dear all,

I wanted to take your advice regarding my husbands naturalisation application. I have ILR at the moment and I will apply next year. As far as I know my husband can apply after I become a British citizen and he completes 3 years residential requirement.

Next June he will complete over 4 years in the country, however, he had absences in the last 3 years more than 270 days. According to the guide on the ukba website, they can disregard it if he spent less than 450 days outside the country in the last four years, and he shows his family and majority of his estate is here. Will they exercise this rule in my husband case? As he will be absent for less than 450 days in the last 4 years...

I really appreciate your advice as I am not sure if I understood the rules right on the ukba website.

Thanks

vinny

Re: Spouse eligibility to apply

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:56 pm

The residential period is either 3 years or 5 years, depending on category. Consideration under 4 years will either be too much or too little.

ILR is also required.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:25 am

@vinny - the OP refers to 4.1.2(a).

You understand the rule correctly. This is discretion. No one here could guess if the caseworker would apply it or not but if you meet the guidelines, it's very likely to be granted. As vinny pointed out, ILR is also required.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

sb86

Post by sb86 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Yes both my husband and I have the ILR at the moment. The plan is that I apply for naturalisation then once I get it, he will apply as we'll on the basis of less than 450 days in the last 4 years.

I was wondering whether there are any documents he needs to provide to show he is settled here or why he was away in 2013?? Or do they just add it up and decide?

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:42 am

sb86 wrote:Yes both my husband and I have the ILR at the moment. The plan is that I apply for naturalisation then once I get it, he will apply as we'll on the basis of less than 450 days in the last 4 years.

I was wondering whether there are any documents he needs to provide to show he is settled here or why he was away in 2013?? Or do they just add it up and decide?
You're a bit confused.

He can either apply as a spouse of a British citizen who has been resident for 3 years OR someone who has been resident for 5 years (with ILR and all other requirements met).

If he is applying as a spouse of a British citizen, he will have a 3 year qualifying period. The Qualify Period starts from the date of application and is worked back 3 years from that point. Up to 300 absences will be disregarded during the previous 3 year period. Anything above this and up to 540 days, he'll need to ask for discretion to disregard these absences - he needs to meet all other requirements and demonstrate a strong link to the UK (e.g. family here, substantial estate here, residence here).

He will need to explain his excess absences and ask for discretion in question 6.8 (continuing onto page 15) demonstrating why he should be granted it (e.g. his family is here, rents/owns a house here, has substantial assets like pension, investment property, etc. here)

sb86

Post by sb86 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Thanks a lot! And you are right I am really confused.

Yes he should apply as spouse of British citizen (after I get the British citizen). Because he has been away more than 270 days in the last 3 years, he is thinking to apply later than that after 4 years rather than 3 years and demonstrate he was away for less than 450 days (plus showing your family and estate mainly here). This is what I read On the ukba website:

We normally disregard absences of up to 300 days.

If you have been absent for between 301 and 540 days, we will disregard this if you meet all the other requirements and have established your home, family and a large part of your estate here. We would also expect that:

for absences of up to 450 days, you have been resident in the UK for the past four years; or
for absences of more than 450 days, you have been resident in the UK for the past five years; or

Is my understanding right? Sorry if it seems repetitive to some of you....