ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advisor has lost all documents

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

barfi
Newly Registered

Advisor has lost all documents

Post by barfi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:46 pm

My immigration adviser has claimed that he has lost all of my wife's documents... cohab documentation, English test passes, life in UK tests passes, bank statements.

what can i do now? what option do i have now. I only have photocopies of some stuff but what else can i do now?

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Advisor has lost all documents

Post by Amber » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Your 'advisor' should be sorting this out for you.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

pinkpop

Post by pinkpop » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 pm

How it happened? During post or what?

barfi
Newly Registered

Post by barfi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:37 pm

He isn't doing anything at all, he said i should go and get replacement statements from banks and other from the council. he is being vague, said we hadn't signed anything with him like a client contract.

he is on the home office register that is why we went for him

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:02 pm

I'm afraid that there are many charlatans about, if he's OISC registered then he should have a client care letter for you. You can report him.

You should try and gather the specified evidence you require, copies should be accepted if you explain the circumstances.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

uktraveller.030209
Newly Registered

Post by uktraveller.030209 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:01 am

It is the worst nightmare come true, but there is 1 procedure in place to handle this situation -

1) You must lodge a FIR with the local police. At least lost passport (and/or if your wife had a biometric permit already issued before) must be reported to the police who will give an incident reference number. This is a standard procedure

2) When you make your application, you will need to provide the photocopies of the originals that have been lost. And you will have to specify the reason why you are submitting the photocopies. The Home Office will ask for the incident reference number for lost passport / biometric permit and will make a compelling case for your situation

2) Get all the photocopies (I hope you had scans of your originals somewhere online) -
- a) Bank statements should be easy to get I assume
- b) For Life in the UK pass certificate, contact UK Home Office (the contact info should be available on your pass certificate or
get it online from ukba website or the test center where she took her test)
- c) Passport - contact your country's embassy and try and get a replacement passport or atleast a travel document
- d) Biometric permit (if she had been issued one before) - Contact UK Home office regarding your lost biometric permit. They will ask for the FIR incident reference number to issue a replacement card)

This answer is not based on any actual response from any applicant who applied successfully or unsuccessfully for ILR using any versions of SET-O forms available over last 12 months

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:20 am

Has the advisor actually lost the Passports as well? You'll have to re-sit the LIUK test if they are lost.

barfi
Newly Registered

Post by barfi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:32 am

Won't a photocopy be eough for life in uk test?. Can we ask for an extension whilst we get all this sorted. wife is from India and from reading online it seems that its almost impossible to get a replacement indian passport from my wife, because she is here on a long term visa.

uktraveller.030209
Newly Registered

Post by uktraveller.030209 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:47 pm

1, No, you need the original LitUK test pass certificate
2. Your wife can visit Indian embassy and get a temporary travel document if they won't issue a replacement passport. However,
based on the police incident reference, they should do that for whatever fee they might charge

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:21 pm

There is discretion for the caseworker to accept a copy but you'd be better re-taking the test.

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:08 pm

You need to file a police complaint asap, there is something fishy with the "advisor" too, how can someone lose all your documents? did their house go up in flames?

Filing a complaint will put pressure on that advisor and also support your application, no need to re-appear for LITUK test again, the results are on UKBA systems as well so under exceptional circumstances, supported by a copy of the police complaint, UKBA can discreetly allow your LITUK results

Why can't you get another passport from the embassy?
Manka

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:51 pm

From what you describe it potentially sounds as if the advisor is withholding your documents until you pay ("said we hadn't signed anything with him like a client contract"). Either way, it may be worth putting more pressure on the advisor directly, informing him of your intent to make a complaint. You may then see your wife's documents reappear.

So sorry to hear that this happened. Best of luck, hang in there.