ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 (general) extension

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

svasu

Tier 2 (general) extension

Post by svasu » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Dear Forum Members,
I would like to ask a couple of questions pertaining to visa extension under Tier 2 (General) category with a hope that some of you might be able to answer. Before that i would like to brief you about my immigration history
I am currently under Tier 2 (general) visa which will expire on 1 August 2014. I am planning to applying for an extension as my employer has agreed to provide me with a CoS. Prior to Tier 2 (general) visa I was under PSW visa.
My questions are:
1) At the time of switching from PSW to Tier 2 general, the employer was not required to carryout a resident labour test - Do they have to carry out this test before issuing a CoS for my extension?
2) I started in the company as a PA and now I have been promoted to a manager. One of the statements mentioned in the policy guidance is that the applicant should continue to be working in the same occupation for the same sponsor. Will change is job title be an issue in this case?
3) What is maximum period by which the visa can be extended and when can this be converted to an ILR?
Looking forward to your replies.
Many thanks.
Regards,
svasu

yeeha
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 2 (general) extension

Post by yeeha » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:56 pm

Hi,
I am currently Tier 2 (general) visa holder, my visa is due on 31 May. I am wondering when is the earliest that I should application for extension?
Which application form should I use? What other documents do I need for extension application?

Many thanks

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:21 am

svasu wrote:Dear Forum Members,
I would like to ask a couple of questions pertaining to visa extension under Tier 2 (General) category with a hope that some of you might be able to answer. Before that i would like to brief you about my immigration history
I am currently under Tier 2 (general) visa which will expire on 1 August 2014. I am planning to applying for an extension as my employer has agreed to provide me with a CoS. Prior to Tier 2 (general) visa I was under PSW visa.
My questions are:
1) At the time of switching from PSW to Tier 2 general, the employer was not required to carryout a resident labour test - Do they have to carry out this test before issuing a CoS for my extension?
only if the SOC code for your job changes

2) I started in the company as a PA and now I have been promoted to a manager. One of the statements mentioned in the policy guidance is that the applicant should continue to be working in the same occupation for the same sponsor. Will change is job title be an issue in this case?
See above. It is the job description (SOC code) that is important, not the job title

3) What is maximum period by which the visa can be extended and when can this be converted to an ILR?
if you entered T2 after 5 Apr 2011 then the max extension is 3 years and you will be eligible to apply for ILR after 5 years on T2G.

Looking forward to your replies.
Many thanks.
Regards,
svasu

svasu

Post by svasu » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Dear Manci,

Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.
I have gone through a copy of my visa application form (version 04/2011) that I had used when switching from PSW to Tier 2 (general) visa in August 2011 and I cant seem to find any mention of SOC code requirement. This code is not mentioned on any of the documents like BRP card or a copy of the sponsorship certificate that my employer printed at the time of issuing SOC. Its worth mentioning that at the time of switching visa from PSW to Tier 2 General I claimed 30 points for the following conditions:
1)having a CoS for switching from Tier 1 PSW AND
2)having worked for my current sponsor for a continuous period of at least six months before the date of submitting my application AND
3)for applying from inside the UK
Can the above mentioned factors be the reason why an SOC code was not required at the time of granting SOC?
As I have mentioned earlier about my plans of applying for an extension, where can I now find out which SOC code was used? I just want to make sure that the employer is using the same SOC code now as used before (if any).

Regards,
svasu

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:10 am

your application in 2011 included your CoS number. The SOC code, job title, job description, hours worked and salary were given in the CoS. You need to ask your sponsor what your SOC code was (or ask them to give you a printout of the CoS)

The document containing all the SOC codes is here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... orkers.pdf

RBeg
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by RBeg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 am

Hi Manci

would appreciate if you could clarify a query please. Currently on T2 General, initially applied in July 2011 with SOC code 1152 (Office Manager). I am due for an extension in June 2014, however I now have to use a new SOC code 4161 (Office manager). I am with the same employer, same job title with same job responsibilities. I checked the job responsibilities for SOC 4161 is exactly similar to old SOC 1152. Does my employer need to conduct an RLMT?

many thnaks for your help

Regards

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:37 pm

@RBeg
RLMT not required if the change in SOC code is only due to the re-classification from the 2000 code to the 2010 code

RBeg
Newly Registered
Bangladesh

Post by RBeg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi Manci

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.