ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

KOLL again

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kewlsatya
Newly Registered

KOLL again

Post by kewlsatya » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:10 pm

- WIfe's got her degree in India.
- Degree recognized on PBS but does not award 10 points.
- Got letter from Univ stating degree is in English and applied to NARIC.
- NARIC came back acknowledging degree is comparable to UK degree. However, they could not verify that English language is at CEFR Level1.

What they have said:
Level of English: The level of English language for the above degree course does not meet requirements of CEFR level C1
Additional Info: Although it is confirmed that English is the medium of instruction in the teaching and examination system of the department providing this award, it unfortunately has not been possible to confirm that the necessary English language requirements for CEFR level C1 are met upon completion".

My question:
Is this good enough to go ahead and apply for the AN1 for her?

The form and guidance say:
"have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the
recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United
Kingdom and (i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or
researched in English "

There is no reference to levels of english.

Just wanted some Guru's to confirm.

Regards
S

kewlsatya
Newly Registered

Re: KOLL again

Post by kewlsatya » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:11 am

Hi,

Could anyone please help on this???
Guru's please comment.

Regards
S

pereguinn
Newly Registered

Post by pereguinn » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:22 pm

The UKBA site does say you need ten point:
If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with your original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.
ref: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ification/

You can see that it does not meet the requirements just by their response
The level of English language ... does not meet requirements
it unfortunately has not been possible to confirm that the necessary English language requirements for CEFR level C1 are met upon completion
I would be very hesitant to apply on these grounds if I were you.

kewlsatya
Newly Registered

Post by kewlsatya » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:10 am

However, it does say in the guidance & booklet for the AN Form that

have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the
recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United
Kingdom and (i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or
researched in English

• Certificate showing that you have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK
NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in
the United Kingdom and (i) an English Language Assessment (ELA) from UK NARIC
confirming that the qualification was taught or researched in English

No where does it mention about the level of English.

So just verifying if this should be OK. The fact that NARIC cannot confirm it does not meet CEFR C1 level, does not mean it does not meet levels below it.

Any opinions??

Regards
S

pereguinn
Newly Registered

Post by pereguinn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 pm

From my experience the booklet does not provide detailed information and that is why you need to do further research on the information provided by UKBA on their site and not be selective as to which you choose to follow.

Read through this: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... hlanguage/
Particularly the bit at the bottom "Do you hold an acceptable degree taught in English?"
To demonstrate that you meet the English language requirement, your degree must:

be recognised by the National Academic Recognition Information Centre for the UK (UK NARIC) as being equivalent to at least a UK bachelor's degree; and
have been taught in English to a standard comparable to that of level C1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
This information is also stated on the NARIC site: http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/c ... sment.aspx
to confirm whether your degree has been taught in English and meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1)
"And" being the operative word in both cases.

While you meet the first criteria, which is that your degree is comparable to that of a UK degree, you do not fully meet the second criteria. Even though your degree was taught in English the fact that NARIC have confirmed that it does not meet requirements of CEFR level C1 means that you do not meet the full English Language criteria.

With these applications I would always err in the side of caution. I also wouldn't fully rely on others' experiences. While people's experiences in this forum are definitely helpful you should understand that applications are unfortunately dependant on the caseworker's discretion. If something is ambiguous then one caseworker might approve and another might reject.

Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear. If you're still not satisfied then I would suggest trying to get in touch with somebody at HO and if they say that you do meet the English language criteria then you should state in page 15 of your application that Mr John Smith caseworker at the Nationality Group confirmed you meet the criteria on xx date.