ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Knowledge of Language Question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

brucewayne
Newly Registered

Knowledge of Language Question

Post by brucewayne » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Simple question. I did my GCSEs here in England, got two Cs in English. Do I still need to do that B1 CEFR test to apply for naturalisation or can I do it with my GCSEs. And if have to do the B1 CEFR test is that much harder to achieve than a GCSE or is it on the same level or maybe lower? Please help because I cannot find any answers anywhere.
Thanks

Just Wondering

Re: Knowledge of Language Question

Post by Just Wondering » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:19 am

As far as I'm aware, GCSE does not qualify. A degree from a UK university does.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Unless I-GCSE then it's unlikely to be accepted as meeting B1.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

brucewayne
Newly Registered

Post by brucewayne » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:41 pm

What about Functional Skills? Does anyone know if that qualifies? I got both Level 1 and 2 English

phospholipid

Post by phospholipid » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:56 pm

brucewayne wrote:Simple question. I did my GCSEs here in England, got two Cs in English. Do I still need to do that B1 CEFR test to apply for naturalisation or can I do it with my GCSEs. And if have to do the B1 CEFR test is that much harder to achieve than a GCSE or is it on the same level or maybe lower? Please help because I cannot find any answers anywhere.
Thanks
No, you'll have to do the B1 CEFR. The functional skills don't count unless they're ESOL.

The test is much easier than GCSE English. Do the Trinity College one and it cost me £125, lasted 5 minutes and got the certificate 5 days later, no need to do more than 10 minute preparation unless your English speaking isn't that good.